main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation What could make this trilogy better than the last?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Jason79, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Jason79

Jason79 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Oh and yes I'm referring to the prequels. Not saying they were bad movies. At least I don't think so.
    They didn't quite feel like they belonged somehow though. Sure you had your Lightsabers, laser guns and big battles but something was missing. It's all about chemistry between the characters.
    In the prequels Anakin and Padme acted like they were reading off a cue card instead of being loose and natural. It's like they were strangers.
    All the characters in the original trilogy played off of eachother so well. Han and Chewie's back and forth antics were hillarious and you really felt they were old buddies.
    Also Leia getting on Han's case about the lousy rescue attempt and both her and luke badmouthing his ship. It was like one big dysfunctional family and I loved that. So real to life and not as stiff and boring as many prequel scenes were. This is what I'd definitely like fixed in the new trilogy.
    Less Lightsaber battles would be nice too. Save those for the end.

2. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Good dialogue, for a start.

3. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Better direction, someone who knows how to work with actors.

4. Jason79

Oct 31, 2012
    Lines like this is what we need more of.

"Will somebody get this big walking carpet outta my way?[face_laugh]

5. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    The lines in the originals are not brilliant, but they work some how anyways.

Run like Run! Is not Pulitzer Prize material...

Neither is "There is another..."

No, Luke I am your father...

That's deep stuff, really deep stuff guys...

6. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    We need more Imperial troops solving problems by blasting them.

"Stop that ship! BLAST THEM!"
    "It's them! BLAST THEM!"

TaradosGon likes this.
  7. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    -No Jar Jar

-Mark, Carrie and Harrison

Dark-Sith_ofthe_Moon likes this.
  8. PleaseNoTimeTravel

PleaseNoTimeTravel Jedi Knight

Nov 6, 2012
    Better dialogue and no Hayden Christensen or Jar Jar Binks.

9. Jason79

Oct 31, 2012
    What was it with the word blast? "Open the blast doors" "close the blast doors"
    Oh and Luke saying it in frustration when R2 ran off into the desert alone.

10. Luke Mousewalker

Luke Mousewalker Jedi Youngling

Nov 8, 2012
    Well, the original series had much better actors for one. Seriously, all of them phenomenal talents.

The new series had Liam Neeson who was killed off at the end of the first movie, and Ewan Macgregor who had all of his talents sapped from him from trying to hard and Christopher Lee, who was barely a Cameo.

And that's about it, no other remotely decent actors.

11. yodasbum

yodasbum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 4, 2004
    Run Luke, run?

12. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    LOL yes it was a typo

yodasbum likes this.
  13. yodasbum

Nov 4, 2004
    Great actors in the prequel but bad directing. Ewan, Natalie, Ian and Sam are all great, great actors others too. All but Ian had been wasted.

Jedi_Lover and TaradosGon like this.
  14. yodasbum

Nov 4, 2004
    Great actors in the prequel but bad directing. Ewan, Natalie, Ian and Sam are all great, great actors others too. All but Ian had been wasted.

15. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    Better dialogue, less CGI, less politics, less Yippee...

16. Jason79

Oct 31, 2012
    "this is so Wizard"
    Who in the history of the world has ever said that?

17. Darth_Darkmoon

Darth_Darkmoon Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2012
    Disney/Lucasfilm should get back to basics of what made Star Wars stick in the heads of the people. They should bring back the great iconic elements of Star Wars. The Empire in some form, the Star Destroyers, TIE-Fighters, X-Wing etc. And of course the heroes Han, Luke, Leia, Chewie, Lando... Yes there should be new heroes but the old ones should still be around and support the new ones.

18. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    It's so blindingly obvious it hardly bears stating:

1. Emotionally involving/satisfying story
    2. Excitement/intensity over sheer scale
    3. A focused story with clearly defined characters the audience cares about
    4. A strong story that is self explanatory

You won't find a bigger GL fan than myself, nor will you find anyone who was more willing to engage with the PT on the levels GL intended. I love those movies, but I admit, they are the cinematic equivalent of this:

He went bugnuts, they are three of the most insanely self-indulgent films ever made. Yes, that is a part of their charm, like a Fellini film, and I love them for their crazy depth and experimental nature, but it's clear that the vox populi wants something simpler and less esoteric. And they are going to get that in 2015. Force-speed Kathleen Kennedy & Co.!!

19. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I agree, he deserves his own movie this time around.

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  20. yodasbum

Nov 4, 2004
    The talent was assembled for the prequels- serious, serious talent in every department such as the actors, the stunt people and the Fx people. Has anyone done such a great job with cinematic sword fighting as Nick across the prequels? The visual effects are so good that people keep criticising many of the parts which are practical effects!

The big three issues are the script. Something that George has struggled with. This needs to be addressed with really great writers. George has the ideas and there are plenty more in the EU that can be picked up so at least that area should be pretty sound. Please to god no more 'If you follow your thoughts to conclusion...' 'Master Qui-Gon I was wondering...' 'She died of a broken heart lines...' and no more Basil Exposition dialogue, don't tell us show us 'Down there is the Chancellors shuttle'. So a good script writer should take George's/EU ideas and make an excellent script.

I think that ILM can look after the effects- even an experienced hand like Jackson can slip up- the dinosaur stampede in King Kong.

So I want a director who can concentrate on acting. George may have got the performances that he wanted but it often didn't work as well in my opinion especially the younger members of the cast. I thought Liam, Ian and Christopher excellent. Sam and Natalie stilted. Ewan had patches of excellence but some bad delivery- 'The negotiations were short- cheesy smile'.

Editing decisions. Am I right that there are scenes in AOTC trailer that were re shot for the film- Obi with a fake beard in the film but is different in the trailer? Cutting out the whoops and yippees of Anakin in TPM. For me shorter films far closer to the 2hr mark than 2hr30mins.

So more of the same please but...

Better script
    A director who can concentrate on acting (Kenneth Branagh (sp?) but I don't expect him)
    Better editing

One thing they have is a far better producer than the PT and that’s no disrespect to Rick but she is one of the best of all time.

21. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    I think they need to keep the story simple (which is why I would like to see some of the Pixiar people involved)

I think one of the biggest differences between the OT and PT was the simplicity of the plot (don't confuse simple with shallow). The OT was about a band of rebels fighting and evil empire with the main character going through a very classic hero jounry. The PT had much more complicated and convulated plot, with people pulling other peoples strings, trade disputes, secret marriages, a war with no clear good guy and bad guy, a new villian every movie etc....

I think the ST needs too get back to a more simple plot (again, that doesn't mean shallow). It should have clear cut villians and heroes and draw on the myth and hero journey inspiration that inspried the OT. Making it more complicated won't help.

yodasbum likes this.
  22. Wookiee_Vader

Wookiee_Vader Jedi Master star 2

Aug 21, 2007
    A big thing for me is less blatant CGI. CGI can be great, but the way it was used in the PT just made everything feel so fake and therefore harder to emotionally connect with. Also, you can clearly tell the actors found it a struggle to work with so much green screen.

mavjade likes this.
  23. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    I kind of agree. Some of the backgrounds and things looked fake, and Qui-Gon interactin with Jar Jar was horrible. But the clone troopers (they didn't build 1 suit of armor) looked 100% real to me (I didn't know they were CGI until it was pointed out to me).

Just like in the 70's and 80's Lucas created a lot of new technology for the PT, and now the PT effects look.....meh because they were early in the development cycle for green screen sets. I would expect the green screen sets in the ST to look much better because ther ehas been progress made since then.

24. Wookiee_Vader

Wookiee_Vader Jedi Master star 2

Aug 21, 2007
    The OT may not be an example of a masterpiece of dialogue (although there definitely some gems there IMO), but there are certainly no lines in it that make me wince and want to pause the film out of embarrassment, unfortunately there are quite a few of those in the PT.

yodasbum likes this.
  25. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    More personal duels that have substance - such as Luke vs. Vader (either time), Obi-Wan vs. Vader (either time), or Dooku vs. Obi-Wan and Anakin in ROTS.

I also think that they have to watch what they don't overdo the ridiculousness factor like they did with Vader vs. Obi-Wan in ROTS. That fight started out great IMO, but started to get ridiculous about the time they are tightrope walking across the pipes.

Less green screen and a director that is better at working with the actors to get the best possible performance.

Have the episodes flow together better like they did in the OT; even with years between them they flowed together one into the next. Whereas with the PT concepts and characters are just thrown in with subsequent chapters.

The corniness and not overly serious adventure is a staple of the franchise, but I feel they really dropped the ball at times with the PT slapstick or using humor during the wrong moments.

Do a better job in following through on plot points and don't leave details hanging for the EU to work out, it's lazy.