main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Calgary WHAT DID YOU THINK

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Soth, May 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soth

Soth Jedi Youngling

Apr 26, 2005
    SO we all saw the movie now, what are your thoughts.................

I thought it was good but fell short of my expectations...

2. Aegypticus

Aegypticus Jedi Youngling

Aug 21, 2003
    I don't really know what to say. It filled me with emotion to the point that I am numb. It flew by in the blink of an eye and yet I am reliving every moment at once. Amazing. Unbelievable. The greatest.

3. Nite_shift

Nite_shift Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2004
    ....... that is all i can say

4. Vicu

Vicu Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2004
    The only thing that dissapointed me about the film is that a few things I hoped to see that were talked about in production were cut out, basically, I wanted to see even more. But the film did run about 2 and a half hours.
    Specifically I hoped to see Anakin's fight with Cin Drallig, Nick Gillard in reality, the fight director for the prequels. The Ep 3 game made him into a rather cool character.

Otherwise, this film was excellent and will be quite beloved by myself, for the film's own sake, and for seeing it with the fanforce chapter, who were great to be around. I've never been able to share my passion for Star Wars with so many others before, who have the same appreciation for saga. That makes it special.

Oh, and my fave Sith Lord, Palpatine was being evil and kicking ass with style. I loved that.

5. darth-paul-

darth-paul- Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 9, 2004
    It was all that I expected and more. I heard that it was dark, but it was WAY beyond what I expected. I am still thinking and reliving it.

I loved the scene in the Jedi Temple where Ani finds the younglings. It just shows how bad he goes and what he is willing to do.

ROTS is now in my top 3 fav Star Wars movies. I just don't know yet if it is 1, 2 or 3.

I just wish that Jar Jar was in it more.

Darth Paul

6. DrHaggis

DrHaggis Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2004
    Loved it!

There is a lot of stuff going on, and the second seating was good to help things gel. I'm going to have to read the book to round out the story though.

Check out this Sun article.
    Several of us are mentioned in it. Yaaay!

I did miss a few cut scenes that I expected based on the spoilers I saw. Just goes to show you that a spoiled person can still be surprised. I would have loved to see a shot of Jocasta Nu valiantly trying to protect her library. The tragedy of the younglings falling and the archives burning makes me too sad for words.

7. SAND-CRAWLER

SAND-CRAWLER Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    I loved it. The first 2/3 of the movie felt really rushed though but fortunately the last 1/3 let us as an audience catch up and be in the moment again. Personally, I would have liked an extra half hour let the movie breathe a bit better. All in all, it was AWESOME. The creation of Vader was so powerful. It was like the last link in the chain between Anakin and Vader was joined.

8. PreludeRM

PreludeRM FanForce CR, & Fanforce Council Calgary, Alberta star 4

Oct 28, 2002
    I loved the movie!!!!!
    Seeing it a 2nd time was helpful. There was so much going on. Anikin's fall from grace was very dark. I'm still trying to process it all. This was definatly one of Georges greatest movies..

The sun article is 2nd page in the paper today with me & Paul and our sons picture.

Ryan

9. JerichoKarvath

JerichoKarvath Jedi Youngling

May 15, 2005
    ......amazing, just amazing got 3 more tickets for today 1:00 5:00 8:30 all different theatres, its only going to get better.

10. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    it was awesome, so sad, wasn't as sad second time around. here's a pic of our group in the newspaper :)

11. darth-paul-

darth-paul- Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 9, 2004
    Luckyyy!!!

One thing that I just thought of, it sould have been cool, but not necessary. If palps had given Vader a red lightsaber.

This has been the best movie that I have seen in a couple of years.

Darth Paul

12. Jordain

Jordain Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 15, 2003
    I was totally absorbed from the moment the 20th century fox theme started playing...(there were no previews, aye?) It felt like it was only half an hour long, I could have sat there for a couple more hours.

I loved R2's antics in the the first part, and all the stuff in the elevator shaft was awesome. I liked so many things about it that I was completely overwhelmed afterwards. The scene where Obi-wan is talking to Anakin as he is about to burn up was especially well-done (no pun intended).

I missed Lucas's Cameo in the opera house...did anyone else catch it? And that young jedi who stepped out to save Bail Organa, that was Jett Lucas, wasn't it?

I think the main feeling I took away from the film was more sorrow at Anakin's fall. The shot where we see the inside of the Vader helmet coming towards "us" was particularly effective, it made it seem as if any one of us could be the one on that table. Very powerful stuff.

I can't wait to see it again. ^_^

13. PreludeRM

PreludeRM FanForce CR, & Fanforce Council Calgary, Alberta star 4

Oct 28, 2002
    Got the pic in the sun sent to me by people @ work. I guess they have it posted everywhere. Its a crappy scan but I'll get a better shot later.

Yrols Pic is Awesome

[image=http://members.shaw.ca/prelude.iso/paper.jpg]
    [image=http://members.shaw.ca/prelude.iso/yrol.jpg]

14. im_posessed

im_posessed Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 13, 2002
    my friends and I made it in our local paper too (one of whom had stood in line for 15 hours).

It was an amazing movie, one of the best movies I have seen for a long time, and much MUCH darker than I thought it would be. I felt sick at the scene with the kids in the Jedi temple, and I cried in a few other parts. It was extrememely well done. My only pet peeve is that they CGed some stunts that they could have done with wires etc. But thats a general pet peeve I have with most movies.

I haven't seen it a second time yet, but I definately plan to.

15. DarthJaeger

DarthJaeger Jedi Youngling star 1

May 10, 2005
    It was fantastic. The best of the prequel trilogy by a long ways.

I would like to thank Ryan, for getting us the tics for the 7pm show.

It's always so much better when you see a flick like this with a group of fans!

I can't wait to go see it again!

16. sithprobe

sithprobe Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2004
    Hey guys, the last time I checked in here (summer) members were trying to get a fan force really going. Now I see Calgary's fanforce is flourishing, good on ya guys.

I went this afternoon to Paramount Chinook (by my self :(). Some will say the first portion of the movie is quick, but it was at a pace I appricated. When the Count is destroyed so soon, it sets up what the rest of the film will be like.

One battle after another. I luved it! :D
    And I feel that finally my insatible hunger for lightsaber battles has finally been quenched. I also pleased there was so much unarmed combat. The motivations and timing of everything was perfect.

Obi wan stepping off Padme's ship at that moment couldn't have been better (or should I say worse) for the rollercoster that was Anakin's emotions. And Mace/Anakin/Sidious was timed just right so that it would make sense Anakin react the way he did.

Some of the audience started to laugh when Obi is checking the security footage and it happens to pop across Sidius talking to his new apprentice. I wasn't sure if they were laughing at the convienence of it all, or Ewan's reaction "I can't watch anymore". I thought that was abit harsh. I was able to suspend my disbelief.

But the things that will stick with me most, the word "War!" During the opening crawl. Anakin's nightmares. The crazy art in the walls of the room when Palp admits who he really is to Anakin. The Grevious battle with Obi. And Yoda/Sidious stalemate.

And most of all 66. That will stick with me for sometime. Watching afew of the jedi meet their end made me well up.

I feel a sense of completion. And when I look at all the series that have had completions over the past while this reminds me that starwars will always take the cake.

Sorry I'm not a member of the calgary fanforce btw guys. But I respect your passion obviously.

17. Ktulu

Ktulu Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 4, 2001
    I am with the majority it seems, who believe this movie was a triumph after the arguably shaky first two prequels.

Many cool things I didn't expect and other things I was disappointed not to see. I wasn't spoiled so I had hopes of seeing things like the Imperial guards in action, which may seem silly but it is something I have wanted to see forever and obviously we never will. Instead I saw Yoda make them look silly which was cute but kinda ruined the mystique for me.

I seem to differ from most people in that I feel the scene with the younglings was a poor choice. Now when I see Vader redeemed in Jedi I will always think, ?yeah but he killed kids?I still can?t forgive him.? I think it would have been better left to the audience to say, ?I wonder what happened to the kids? Did Anakin kill them or the troops?? I dunno just my take.

I understand it was meant to show the extent to which Anakin had fallen but I thought it was heavy handed. Definitely had emotional impact though as I actually gasped.

18. Magpie Jen

Magpie Jen Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 19, 1999
    Hey guys :)

I don't know how we're supposed to deal with spoilers on this forum, so I warn you now! SPOILERS included!

Well, the Sun kindly posted to everybody what I thought - I really liked it and it was, by far, the best of the prequels - perhaps better than Return of the Jedi, at least in my books.

My sister caught a quick bit of me in the 'exit interview' on CBC's the Eyeopener too - but I was sound asleep when that went on! I'm still so tired! But it's a good tired.

Anyway, there were still bits that did make me cringe - I've never been convinced about the Padme-Anakin relationship - especially their dialogue. At least in this film there were moments when the two of them _didn't_ talk - it was much more convincing (though still not entirely) then. And I mean that in a nice way - I thought when the actors were just silent that they genuinely managed to portray their feelings than when they had to cloak them in script.

One other nitpick I have is the role of Padme in this movie - sure she's pregnant and understandably this means she can't be an action hero, but her fire was almost entirely put out. There are ways other than picking up a blaster that her character could have shown the pluck, courage and intelligence she ought to have and kept her more integral to the plot. At least she got a good couple lines in there about how she would not join with Anakin if he continues down that path - and echoes Luke with "there is good in him..."

One of the things that was cool about being unspoiled for this movie was that I had no idea Padme would die in it! I took those lines from Leia that she remembered her mother - beautiful and sad - as evidence that Padme did live for a little while - maybe even only a couple days, but long enough to leave that impression with her daughter - who maybe, I thought, stayed with her longer than Luke did. So it was sad moment for me!

So the best thing about this movie was that it made me feel something other than just 'this is fun and exciting' - which (except maybe in the ObiWan/QuiGon/Maul duel) was all I really felt during Ep 1 and 2. Fun and exciting is great and certainly kept me as a fan for years, but to be genuinely moved by the fall of the Jedi, the ObiWan/Anakin duel, and the naming of the twins - with the gentle orchestral themes of Luke and Leia being played in the background - was fabulous!

I loved all the touches that tied this movie to the original trilogy - like Captain Antilles showing up, the way the interior of the Organa's ship is just like the one in Ep 4, Tarkin in the background, etc.

I just have to add that my poor husband Raj feels the Sun misrepresented him in that little 'What they're saying' feature. They made him sound like he didn't like it, which was not the case. He gave them a whole bit about what he really liked and sort of added - almost a compliment really - how good Lucas is at the CGI part. Truly, neither Raj nor I think Hayden Christensen can act at all - so he commented that Yoda's a better actor than Hayden - which was, of course, the only thing the Sun printed!

Oh well. All in all, a mind-blowing day of action. Great to meet everyone and wonderful to see a fabulously enjoyable movie!

Jen

19. whisperjedi

whisperjedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 19, 2005
    "Impressive...Most impressive".

For myself, the movie got really going when Anakin interrupts Windu with Palpatine. From there on it moved like a rollercoaster. Time just flew by, and slowed within the last 30 mins, Jedi's admitting defeat, and the twins relocated. Once the credits rolled, was utterly....speechless. Couldn't even mumble.

Now must see it @ Sunridge, and latr in Richmond. A very good close.

MTFBWY's

20. veritate

veritate Jedi Master star 2

Oct 25, 2004
    Like I said before, this movie kicked my ass. I was intensely moved by it all, which really is a first for me when it comes to Star Wars movies.

The other movies all had... something there... something that always seemed to be just out of reach. It was in Qui Gon's calm teachings. It was in Obi Wan's sharp tongue. It was in Yoda's mystique. As Magpie Jen said, it was enough to keep me a fan. But I couldn't say that I loved any of the movies. I was a Star Wars fan, yes. A fan of "Star Wars" the concept.

But this movie, I loved.

Dooku's "Twice the pride, twice the fall" line set it all on the line for me. Anakin's confusion as to what to do with Dooku and the Emperor (should we take them into custody or kill them here and now?) justified his anger and frustration of it all.

Hayden's portrayal of Anakin/Vader was surprisingly strong. I've never been a big Hayden fan. After this movie, though I still am not a huge fan, I am more accepting as him as an actor.

The fall of the Jedi was sad for me, though I was a bit sickened at how quickly some of them went down. Ki Adi Mundi got a few blocks in. So did Kit Fisto... the others just seemed to melt like butter under the blasters of the troopers. These people have lightsabers AND force abilities. I would have liked a montage of our various favorite characters (perhaps dubbed with the Duel of the Fates theme?) fighting desperately to ward-off these battalions, finally succumbing to their sheer numbers... not just one or two troops at the front of the corps taking a shot. That was disappointing, and really not at all indicative of the strength of the individual characters.

Where in the world did Shaak Ti go??? There's a beautiful action figure, and a gorgeous 12" doll. She plays a HUGE role in the Clone Wars cartoon. I didn't so much as see her in the background of the film. There are so few female heroes in this saga. This was their last chance to shine, and so I felt robbed that Aayla, Luminara, Barris, and Shaak Ti had such minimal roles. Like Dr.Haggis, I would have LOVED to see Jocasta Nu enraged at the desecration of her archives, defending them to the last, as the troopers slaughter her peers.

It sounds like I didn't think this movie was dark enough, but that's not the case. (By the way; did anyone notice that Anakin killed Younglings? He killed Younglings, you know... YOUNGLINGS! Won't SOMEONE think of the YOUNGLINGS???!!!) The younglings scene did it for me.

I guess I was just so enamored with the whole Jedi order, the temple, etc... and whenever I pictured "the fall", I pictured this glorious, last desperate farewell to the beauty and peace of the golden times. There were lots of opportunities that Lucas could have taken. His movies have all been about Anakin, though, so that's what he focused on. He's entitled. (Who ever thought I'd bow to Lucas and his artistic vision??? I must have REALLY loved this movie!)

The most memorable part of it will of course be sharing it with you guys. I had an AWESOME time. Thanks!!!

21. echosevin

echosevin Jedi Master star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Hey guys,
    sorry to be absent for so long. But I've been at Sunridge, watching ROTS over and Over and OVER again. I CAN'T GET ENOUGH.

I thought I knew what was going to happen in this movie. I was NOT prepared for the darkness. I was stunned at the end of it all. I loved Hayden in AOTC - I thought he nailed it. And watching him fall so sickenly to the dark side - broke my heart. It was so hard to watch. The Jedi purge, the younglings, his submission to Sidious, his blind lust for power, his desperation for control.....Hayden was mesmerizing to watch. I was rooting for him, right til the end. Even though I KNOW he must become Vader for my beloved OT, I really wanted him to fight harder NOT to succumb.
    Sunridge's superior sound makes the movie 10 TIMES better. Subsequent viewings give the movie SO MUCH DEPTH.
    I'm off to the theatre again to watch it as many times today as I can.
    Hope to see some of you on Sunday.

22. echosevin

echosevin Jedi Master star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Oh - I had an amazing time with all of you on Wednesday. It's something I will cherish always. Our group is so much fun! WHAT AN INCREDIBLE DAY!!
    Walking the mall with Ryan (the light saber made me feel so BADASS -thanks man!), talking to kids, seeing the look on their faces, chatting and sharing with other fans, getting to know all of you better-
    THANK YOU for making it such a SPECTACULAR time!!

23. Old_Republic

Old_Republic Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 21, 2005
    There is just so much to take in.....
    I think the best thing is that Hayden did or was allowed to do a much better job this time around. I especially like that he looks like he's going to puke right after lopping off Dooku's head.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.