main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT What do you LIKE about the prequels

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by WhiskeyGold, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Big_Benn_Klingon

Big_Benn_Klingon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2013
    I'll take responsibility to that I suppose, but only due to my ignorance of the unfortunate domestic politics of this forum. Honestly I didn't realize that stating my opinion, even to the extent I did, was in any way an insult to any faction of people.. Im just guessing here, but I suspect that had I said the space battle in ROTS is better than anything in TPM (which I also, incidentally, believe to be true) it wouldn't have been viewed as inflammatory.

But to clarify my statement, I love OT! Saw them all at the theater and was as militant about them as any other fan from that era. But I truly believe in matters of special effects the PT (esp ep5 & 6) are just superior. That's not a jab at any fan or even the makers of the OT, just a reality of technological advances and finely honed skills that were utilized to their fullest extent by every arm of the Lucas empire - which had 20+ years of movie making expertize behind them since the OT. In 1977, they were pioneers, pulling amazing things off by the seat of their pants. In 2005, they were grand masters of an art.

Darth Schlotkin and Andy Wylde like this.
  2. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    I sometimes forget just how much I love those posters. The DVD covers left alot to be disired but the original Struzan illustrations are true works of pop-art. They belong in a gallery somewhere. I know I've praised enough about the movie already, but the poster for Episode II is likewise my favorite of the three. I love the composition; the muscular statures; the use of spheres; the way Yoda ...I'm waxing aren't I? Sorry, I just shot down two Red Bulls before skimming this thread.

3. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    TELL ME THIS ISN'T AWESOME!

[​IMG]

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Eh, it's alright.

5. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    I have no problem with you stating your opinion that something in the PT is better then the OT, or vice versa. What I don't understand is why you needed to say, "Anyone who says otherwise is not being honest with themselves." So you are essentially saying if we don't agree with your statement, then we aren't being honest with ourselves??? :confused:

If you guys want to pile on me here because you feel the PT has been unfairly bashed here by looking the other way when someone bashes the OT, then you are just as guilty as the PT bashers. I am on your side because I am a fan of all 6 movies and look forward to the ST and eventually watching all 9 movies on BluRay someday. But it seems like the attitude around here is we all have to choose a side which I hope will end when the ST comes out. :)

And what I like about the PT? It expands the OT galaxy from just a battle of rebels vs empire and gives the movies a historical content now. The ST will continue that by expanding the galaxy even more.

Sarge likes this.
  6. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Natalie Portman ;)

7. Big_Benn_Klingon

Big_Benn_Klingon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2013
    Like I said, Im new here. I didn't realize that certain things were more sensitive than others and as such could not be talked about light-heartedly. In the future I will tread lightly around such topics - or at least expand on my statements to the point there is no room left to fill in the blanks on my meaning.

Like I stated, the point was actually meant to be pointed towards CGI detractors, rather than fans that fetishize the OT. Im old, and Im always encountering ppl my age who rage against CGI - and perhaps I shouldn't have said it, but I really think some of them aren't really aren't making an honest comparison (not just for SW)

Andy Wylde and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  8. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Palpatine making his best "Do it!" face in the bottom right hand corner [face_laugh]

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  9. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    At first, I was going to say, "That's not awesome", and harp on the execution, but then, when I looked it over properly...

Yeah, it's pretty awesome.

-Jedi Joe- and Darkslayer like this.
  10. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    No, but I do see more of a nature motif, now, in evidence between the glaring Darth Maul in the background of the Episode I poster and his master snarling in the corner of III.

The Emperor has more of a quizzical face in the Episode VI poster. Kind of like a pigeon or something.

11. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    Don't get tripped up there -- those aren't the Drew Struzan originals.

Pretty neat "Special Edition"-s, but I prefer the originals.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  12. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    There's actually a better, more polished one of the bottom three that I have, but it has the titles in a weird way that doesn't fit with the whole "Saga poster" thing going on here. I love the character parallels. (I also have a TERRIBLY photoshoped set of the Prequels looking like the OT-SE trilogy.)

Cryogenic likes this.
  13. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

Thanks for the correction.

It takes a pair to equal Episode II with Episode V? Why?

14. Ingram_I

Sep 7, 2012
    Oh, right. I think the Episode II poster is the one closest to the original.

15. Ingram_I

Sep 7, 2012
    Just speaking generally. If you were to chime in amidst a typical Star Wars discussion at a social gathering with such an opinion, you'd likely be met with quick disapprovals ranging from mild double-takes to mocking guffaws to outright shocks of horror; accusations of heresy, angry mob provocation, panic, stoning, a possible witch-hunt... You'd practically become a leper. Or the Frankenstein monster.

At that moment, you just glare your eyes and say, "This party's over."

16. DARTH FATHEAD

DARTH FATHEAD Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 22, 2013
  17. SkywalkerJedi02

SkywalkerJedi02 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 3, 2013
    I loved the raw emotion on the films between Anakin and his mothers death to his love story with Padme to his heartbreaking battle with obi-one and just seeing how everything in the Star Wars universe came to be in the OT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. DARTH FATHEAD

DARTH FATHEAD Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 22, 2013
    when they ended :D

WriterMan likes this.
  19. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    There are many small things that I like, but to boil it down I'd have to say the way in which the physical environments are portrayed is what impresses me most. Tatooine, Coruscant, Naboo... Just stunning.

20. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    I'm going on record with that The Phantom Menace has my aesthetic of all six films. It used computer technology, yet at the same time it's clear that they were using practical special effects in some places, and I think that's phenomenal. I don't believe that Coruscant or Naboo looked any more stunning in AOTC or ROTS than it did in TPM.

Also, I liked Natalie, as anyone would. :D

Darth Maul Apprentice likes this.
  21. Pimpsy

Pimpsy Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 30, 2012

Everything else I can see, but... err

22. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    The love story works well (in my opinion) if you look at Anakin's love for Padmé as being very selfish in nature. He loves and cares about her, of course, but a lot of that love stems for what she can do for him -- that unconditional love she provides gives him emotional stability. He's very selfish about it and fears to lose her as a result, which is why it becomes so unhealthy.

With Luke, it's just the opposite. There, Anakin finally realizes that love is not about what Luke can do for him. It's about what he can do for Luke.

23. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    I really like the models in the PT:

[​IMG]

24. Denco

Denco Jedi Youngling

Dec 1, 2013
    Story (I guess that connection with OT helps it), visual effects (not always important, but they make it better), Padmé ;) and I also feel more action.

25. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Although watching most of the 'romantic' interactions between these two makes me nauseous, I agree that this element of the dynamic is well portrayed. Anakin's intense feelings towards Padme are mostly related to how HE will be affected if he loses her. It's really the Jedi warning about attachment and fear leading to the dark side given life isn't it?