main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What do you think of TPM as the months (and years) go by? - Official thread

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Jedi_Learner, Mar 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alomanuma_Topha

Alomanuma_Topha Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 2, 2004
    Some of you people are even worse than Anakin at letting go

I'm sorry, I don't understand. It almost sounds like you're suggesting there was character development in the PT.

2. Tomaschus

Tomaschus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 15, 2003
    A fan does not have to like everything that Lucas craps out.

3. Alomanuma_Topha

Jan 2, 2004
    Hey! You don't just "crap out" a fart joke (no pun intended) like the one in TPM. That takes comic genius!

4. female_obi_wan

female_obi_wan Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 1, 2002
    <<female_obi_wan, your post concerning the first time you saw THE PHANTOM MENACE is great. Thanks. >>

You're welcome. :)

5. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I will ask you again, what was Qui-Gon supposed to do with Anakin? You say he would have to be an idiot not to think of something else, and yet you offer no ideas of your own?

He was his guardian, he was told to immediately take the Queen back to Naboo, and there was no place for Anakin to be stashed until they got back.

Also, Qui-Gon wanted Anakin to observe what Qui-Gon did on his missions. As he says to Anakin, he can't train him until the Council allows him to, but that doesn't mean Anakin can't watch what Qui-Gon does.

I have yet to hear one of Lucas' detractors sound like they could have done any better, or even as good for that matter.

6. Tomaschus

Jun 15, 2003
    I'm sure lucas put months of thought into putting the fart joke in the movie. (sarcasm)

7. The_Nameless_One

The_Nameless_One Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    I don't think he did - it was another of those make-it-up as you go long ideas he had during filming - like kiling off Obi-Wan and making him a Force ghost, or finally deciding to make Vader Luke's father.

8. Tomaschus

Jun 15, 2003
    Or Count Dooku and Zam being a changeling, or actually showing Anakin and Obi-Wan being friends...

9. Tomaschus

Jun 15, 2003
    Or Dooku, Zam being a changeling, Anakin and Obi-Wan actually show being friends. Lucas never desides stuff ahead of time. It really brings down the preqauls.

EDIT: sorry double post^_^

10. SkottASkywalker

SkottASkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    No, I think it's stupid for people to get their dander up about it.

How does my need to vent overpower your need to shower TPM or anything else with praise?

But, you don't think it's stupid(your word) for people to need to vent over a movie(s) they have a problem(s) with? To actually NEED to vent? Over a MOVIE(S)? A movie(s) THEY have a problem(s) with?

[face_mischief]

11. The_Nameless_One

Apr 21, 2002
    It's the way Lucas's creative process works - nothign is really final until the release date gets near.

12. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    I think Lucas knows how to make decisions like that. That's why he's the director. All of these last minute decisions brought up here in this thread are the very reasons why the classic trilogy, and now the prequels as well will be remembered for as long as movies exist.

To me, the only thing bringing the prequels down are the SW fans who don't like them.

Even then, it doesn't effect my appreciation for them.

More related merchandise for me as far as I am concerned. If it wasn't for these negative fans, I wouldn't know how lucky I am to have enjoyed these films so much.

13. The_Nameless_One

Apr 21, 2002
    Exactly - some people don't really understand the way Lucas' works.
    His imagination is running at such high-speed the whole time that new ideas are always being included in the middle of filming, and older ideas tossed away.

14. Alomanuma_Topha

Jan 2, 2004
    All of these last minute decisions brought up here are the very reasons why the classic trilogy... will be remembered for as long as movies exist.

yeah, you're right. The actors, artists, special effects guys, Ben Burtt, and john williams had nothing to do with it... it was all GL last minute decisions.

15. The_Nameless_One

Apr 21, 2002
    Well, if he hadn't killed off Obi-Wan, then Yoda would never have existed - and if Vader hadn't been Lukes father, well...

Everyone who helped Lucas deserves enormous credit - but all their efforts are nothing with out the creator and his story.

16. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    In the end Lucas has always had final say.

I am not trying to take anything away from the contributions of everyone who helped him make his movies, I am just saying it was Lucas' decisions that made SW what it is today.

17. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    "To me, the only thing bringing the prequels down are the SW fans who don't like them."

That is a rather rude opinion you have there. I hope you get no personal pleasure yourself that people dislike the Prequels or that it should somehow make your opinion stronger. All that matters is your own opinion, and if you get pleasure knowing others don't like it that is wrong.

18. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    I feel terrible about people who will probably spend the rest of their lives being let down by the prequels. There just isn't much anyone can do about it, so I don't let it get to me is all.

It's just how it is with all of the SW films. Some people really love them, and others don't.

19. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    NamelessOne
    There must be plenty of other sites on the net for people who don't like Star Wars as much as other movies - why not post there where you'll be more welcome?

But I do like Star Wars. I don't think there are any 'bashers' who don't like it.

TFN should be for fans of the story - the whole story - and all it's richness, emotion, detail, beauty and symbolism.

It'd have a very small membership if only people who liked the "whole story" were here. I'm pretty sure almost everyone dislikes some part of it.

What exactly do you bashers hope you're going to achieve by posting here?
    You have you opinions, and the fans have their opinions - you're not going to change, and neither are we - why not just go your own way and leave us in peace?

What does anyone hope to achieve by posting here?
    It's a forum for debate. People have various reasons for coming, but mainly it's to express an opinion.

Why not find an anti-Star Wars site to express yourself on?

Is anyone here anti-Star Wars?

GoMer
    I will ask you again, what was Qui-Gon supposed to do with Anakin? You say he would have to be an idiot not to think of something else, and yet you offer no ideas of your own?

1. Stay at the JC building, presumably they have somwhere for guests, or don't they ever have any?
    2. Where does QG stay when he's on Coruscant - Anakin could stay there.
    3. Presumably QG has friends, Anakin could stay with them.
    4. The Queen seemed to have plenty of room in her quarters, and she's not going to be using them. She owes the kid a favor or two.
    5. Put him in a hotel. Jedis don't have money, borrow it off the Queen, she owes the kid...etc.

And that's just off the top of my head.
    I mean really - this isn't rocket science, the kid needs somewhere to stay for a couple of days, is that beyond QG's abilities?

g

20. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Even if there was something that could be done with Anakin, Qui-Gon wanted Anakin to observe him in action as a Jedi.

21. SkottASkywalker

Jan 3, 2002
    I feel terrible about people who will probably spend the rest of their lives being let down by the prequels.

I seriously doubt they will spend the rest of their lives being let down by the Prequels. I don't think they are let down by the Prequels as much as it may seem, nor as much as they may let on.

Plus, there's a little thing called "perspective."

I mean really - this isn't rocket science, the kid needs somewhere to stay for a couple of days, is that beyond QG's abilities?

Qui-Gon wasn't allowed to train Anakin, but he wanted Anakin to learn from him, nonetheless. It advances the story, puts Anakin in with the action for the sake of the story. It's not a problem.

22. Alomanuma_Topha

Jan 2, 2004
    I seriously doubt they will spend the rest of their lives being let down by the Prequels. I don't think they are let down by the Prequels as much as it may seem, nor as much as they may let on.

This is true. Personally, I like a lot of what's in the PT so far, but but there's too many shoddy scenes imo, to call them good movies. In the end, the SEs are what really piss me off. I never thought anyone could ruin star wars (I can always ignore the PT), but lucas found a way- amazing [face_plain]

23. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Sorry to hear that.

What are you going to spend your time doing from now on then?

24. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    Empty, pointless bashing is simply saying things "suck" or "are crap" over and over and over again. People who criticize the prequels don't just do that. If they did they'd be trolls, and they'd be taken care of long ago.

I might as well say people who praise the films just give it blind, empty-headed praises like "it's cool" or "it rocks". But I don't agree, because I see many genuine fans of the prequel films state exactly what it is they loved. They give details of what they thought worked well. There is no problem in that, because I do the same (Star Wars films no less, just not all of them)

Well, as for the critics of the prequels, most of them do the same thing. It's possibly true you simply don't like reading the criticisms, but if they aren't trolling and doing drive-by bashings like "This was crap" all the time, then the opinion should still be respected, regardless of what it entails.

I actually like to think I learned many things from me actually physically writing out my thoughts on these message boards. Would you learn more from your thoughts if you kept it in your head for five years (and probably forgetting them), or from writing it out, having it responded to, and actually get to see a good debate going? Instead of fragmented, wispy thoughts floating in my head, I get to really dive deep into my mind, elaborate and articulate what it is I feel about these movies in writing form. (Which is why some people keep journals or diaries -- who can remember what they were thinking on 4 years ago on a rainy Sunday afternoon?)

Criticism is not always a negative thing. Two highly influential French filmakers, Francois Truffaut and Jean Luc Godard learned their craft not from film school, but from only writing articles critiquing and thoroughly discussing films. They inspired The French New Wave, which you may have heard of, and terms such as "autuer theory" and "avant-garde cinema" came from this. And this is exactly what inspired George Lucas (he has even used those terms to describe what he believes in) To see examples of Lucas influence from the New Wave era, see TXH 1138 and American Graffitti. Instead of the stuffy traditional style, New Wave cinema were the "rebels" who used hand-held shots, improvised dialogue, and quick editing. The whole idea was to capture the spirit of the film, without being a slave to the heavy technical rules of film. George Lucas did a great job in capturing that flavor in those two films I mentioned. I'm not saying the prequels should be like those two films, I just wanted to use an example of how Lucas was influenced by two French guys who built their talent on learning through discussion. That is my long-winded point.

25. SkottASkywalker

Jan 3, 2002
    Personally, I like a lot of what's in the PT so far

That had to hurt to put in one of your post. 8-}

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.