main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga What does the Prophecy mean by Balance?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by IG-85, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    You know, I've had an epiphany.

The bad guys were the good guys all along. GL had his movies all wrong. The poor, misunderstood Sith who only wanted to rule in a universe of their own domination. Silly me.

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  2. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
  3. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    What's wrong with sith ruling the galaxy? They're a different religion than the Jedi? They have dark, black magic powers? Who cares if a ruler is a dark sorcerer?

4. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    [​IMG]

Valairy Scot and WIERD_GREEN_MAN like this.
  5. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Because they do a lot of evil things completely unrelated to the Force. They discriminate. They kill. They make bad policies. They exploit. If you are saying that the only bad things the Empire has ever done was kill Owen and Beru Lars, plus Alderaan, you might want to watch the movies again.
    Luke didn't know about his Force sensitivity for nearly two decades, yet hated the Empire - the Empire did bad things no matter what. Hell, the American government is one of the greatest governments on Earth and even it commits evils. And all of the controversial decisions made by the American government are NOT in retaliation against Al Qaeda.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  6. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    The victims of the oppressive regime, maybe?

7. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    The Rebels didn't rebel for the sake of rebelling, because it was so fun. The Empire did bad things so the Rebellion formed. The Empire was there first. They are not the victims.
    There were some non-evil guys who were Nazis, too. But living under the Nazis sucked and the Nazis were evil. Just as there are some KKK members who genuinely believe that they are not haters, but actually totally justified and nice. But the KKK is not a good organization.

8. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Why did Luke hate the empire, the 19 years he lived on Tattoine? What did the empire do that made them such a dictatorship to Tattoine's citizens. Certainly far more than owen and beru. But the films never mentioned what they did that made luke hate them, the 20 years before he found out about the Force. What evil things did the empire do that made Luke hate them? (not alderaan or his uncle and aunt, that came later on) Taxes? Sounds like a political drama in space.

How do they discriminate? Examples? Bad policies?

You said they did a lot of evil things while ruling the galaxy, that have nothing to do with alderaan or owen and beru lars. What are some examples? I'm not arguing, I'm just interested in the storyline of SW.

9. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    [​IMG]

10. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    In a new hope, empire strikes back, I'm pretty sure the rebels and Luke had no idea of and didn't care about something that happened 20 years ago. That was irrelevant to the story at that point.

Besides, why did the emperor order, order 66? I watched all the movies, but never understood that.

11. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Mace windu had no idea of the death star, or alderaan.

12. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    It's great that you're interested in the SW storyline! I want you to know that the films are only a small part of the canon. You have so far only indicated that you have seen the films. There's this thing called the Expanded Universe. It is awesome. It has tons of info. I really enjoy it. You will enjoy too. You are missing so much and when you express opinions, because of your ingorance many of them are unsound.
    You should check out the Star Wars Wiki: starwars.wikia.com
    And read a few books, comics, guides, etc. There is stuff heavily involving elements of the movies and stuff that references the movies very little, if at all.
    I think genocide, discrimination, oppresive dictatorship, corruption and slavery are pretty convincing reasons as to why a government is evil.

13. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    Mace Windu dies decades before any of these events take place. How is he relevant in the least?

14. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    So he could get rid of the Jedi. Thousands of Jedi will naturally object to a Sith placing himself in charge.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  15. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Were there other reasons for Order 66?

Also, why would the Jedi object to a sith being in charge? They had no idea about the Death Star.

16. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Order 66 cleared out any opposition to the Republic being turned into Sids Empire. Or, it was a religious persecution. Take your pick.

Maybe Sids only thought the Jedi would object to being wiped out, so it was a precautionary move on his part.

17. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    The Death Star was not built until decades after the Jedi fell from power. And building a big space station is not the problem. The problem is destroying a democracy, replacing it with dictatorship, throwing the values of thousands of years out of the window and being generally evil.
    If you think the Death Star is the only problem the Jedi have with the Sith and their Empire, you really should watch the films again. You are missing a few fundamental points.

18. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    WHY WOULDN'T A JEDI OBJECT TO A SITH BEING IN CHARGE THEY ARE ON COMPLETELY DIFFERENT SIDES, HAVE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT VIEWS, HAVE BEEN KILLING EACH OTHER FOR MILLENNIA AND REMEMBER, THEY ARE COMPLETE OPPOSITES OF EACH OTHER!! An angel would object to the Devil being in charge. Good guys and bad guys object to each other being in charge! That's why they have sides. The Jedi stand for everything the Sith are against. Of course they would not like each other.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  19. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Why do Obama supporters hate the idea of Romney being in charge? Why do Romney supporters hate the idea of Obama being in charge?

20. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Are you saying that Vader is bad for political reasons? I hope not. I don't want SW to be Fox news in space.

You made an interesting observation. Why would the Jedi and sith have wars for millenia? Where did the films mention that? When, where, who, what, are those sith vs jedi wars? Does that mean they had different views on the Force and mystical powers, so they didn't want someone to be a ruler because of that?

21. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    The death star was not part of the plot at that point. I kinda noticed that now too. The Jedi and sith have different faiths, they don't want a sith lord ruling the galaxy because of that?

22. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Why - because. See EU for answers.

Yes, different views on the Force. Jedi - use your powers to help others; selflessness. Sith - use your powers to help yourself, and who cares who gets run over in the process; selfish power use.

23. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    The Sith were defending themselves against the Jedi, then

24. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Indeed they were. They tried to kill all the Jedi, but the Jedi weren't having it, so of COURSE it was self-defense by the Sith.

25. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    Yes. There's this thing called the Force. There is a light side, and there is a dark side. In Christianity, there is Christ, and there is the Devil. Communists don't like capitalism. Good and bad. People on one side want to get rid of the other.
    The movies don't really mention warring for millennia. But Star Wars is much more than movies. The last chapter of the New Testament does not mention Moses. But Moses was mentioned a lot in the Old Testament. The Jedi and the Sith have always been clashing. This is backed up by art, books, comics, video games, press releases, etc.
    If I am a very bigoted racist in the South from the '50s, I would be pissed off at a lesbian, Muslim, black woman being president. If people don't like each other, they don't want to put each other in office.
    The movies are less than 1% of the Star Wars saga if we are measuring in terms of time something takes to consume/watch/read/hear etc. Just because the movies don't say it, does not mean it is not there.
    Vader is not bad for political reasons. He is a ruthless mean person who likes to kill people for less-than-excellent reasons, lacks compassion, and is selfish. He is a murderer and a torturer, as well as a bad father. I have not said that he is bad because I don't agree with his kriffing politics.