main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga What is the explanation for why C-3PO has a metal segment connecting his forearm to his upper arm?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth Nerdling, Apr 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    Okay, here's something I've always wondered about. Why does C-3PO have a metal segment connecting his mid-forearm to his mid-upper arm? What practical value could that have given that it would limit arm movement so substantially?

At first I thought it was because Anthony Daniels was so weak in his biceps that it would be awkward and clunky when he tried to move C-3PO's heavy metallic forearms, but then I realized to fix that, all they'd have to do is make the arm so that it's fused at the elbow (a top half and a bottom half that Daniels would put his arm in as if they were sandwich buns & then they'd screw the top and bottom halves together, enclosing his arm within C-3PO's arm.) So, now I can't think of a real-world practical function or an in-universe function for those little metallic connecting segments.

Can anyone explain this weird little detail about C-3PO?

2. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I always figured it was the mechanism that moved the lower arm, like hydraulics or something

3. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    Hoping this thread gets some action because this is something I've always wondered about too [face_dunno]

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I honestly never noticed that about him.

5. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I don't suppose there's a solid, real in-universe explanation for that. I believe it contributes to the "used future" aspect of the first movies, with a little steampunk/retro cyberpunk side. Complicated, high-tech machinery that looks primitive.

6. narkwolf

narkwolf Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2013
    I always thought it was to make moving his arms easier.

7. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Yep, same here. It's similar to what you have on a door.
    TBH, I've never been sure if it's a cosmetic thing to make the character look more 'robotic', or something required for the costume.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

At a glance, it looks too loose to be a functioning part of the costume, so it's probably just a stylistic feature - exposed parts to emphasise the fact that he's a machine. It works, though.

There's a Topps trading card that was released, then withdrawn from circulation, which shows a far more intriguing mechanism on Threepio's framework.

Son of a Bith likes this.
  8. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    Darth_Nub

oh. my. god.

I don't ... oh my god lol

Never saw that card.

9. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    It's 100% authentic (don't think I should post it here - anyone else should also hold off), but if you look closely, it's just a piece of the costume that's come loose. How it got released in the first place, I've no idea.

10. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I think it's just for the look of the character, not something needed to make the costume work

as to that other piece you refer to, I refrain from comment :p

11. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    Well, six million forms of communication can't all be just about talking.

Mod edit: Back on topic, and watch it with this line of th- oh, wait, that's me

Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.
  12. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Uhh, if your movie costume is so heavy that your actor can't move around, the solution is to make the costume lighter not try to devise some kind of mechanical means to augment his movement. Plus, I'm pretty certain that kind of "powered exoskeleton" technology is something fairly recent and didn't exist back in 1977 (and it's expensive).

13. SweetZombieJesus

SweetZombieJesus Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 12, 2013
    Didn't they promise for AOTC that we'd learn why 3PO has one silver leg? Never delivered on that...

14. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I've had time to get over it.

fishtailsam likes this.
  15. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    I always assumed "hydrolics"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.