main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What is your favorite track from The Empire Strikes Back (SE)?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by General Kenobi , Jul 3, 2008.

?

What is your favorite track from The Empire Strikes Back (SE)?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. Main Title/The Ice Planet Hoth

1.2%
  2. The Battle Of Hoth

4.9%
  3. The Asteroid Field

13.4%
  4. Han Solo And The Princess

7.3%
  5. Yoda And The Force

6.1%
  6. Carbon Freeze/Darth Vader's Trap/Departure Of Boba Fett

12.2%
  7. The Clash Of Lightsabers

9.8%
  8. Rescue From Cloud City/Hyperspace

7.3%
  9. The Rebel Fleet/End Title

23.2%
  10. Other (please specify)

14.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
  2. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    Another perfect score. I can't choose. ;)

Although, I've always been partial to the unused end of "Departure of Boba Fett." Vader's theme, the Force theme, Yoda's theme and Luke's theme in quick and brilliant succession.

3. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    I agree that I love that sequence from the end of "Departure Of Boba Fett". This was another tough choice. The final three tracks are brilliant. "Yoda And The Force" is sublime. But I chose "The Battle Of Hoth" for this poll. Great and unusual non-thematic battle music, major theme statements, and it's a wonderfully long track (compared to the "Battle In The Snow" edit from the OST).

4. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Imperial March.

5. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    I'm amazed that this generation of fans can put up with the Imperial March given its horrifying remix for the SE set by Bruce Risner. The original Eric Tomlinson mix is so, so much better.

6. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 22, 2002
    This was tough, almost an entire CD of worthy candidates, but I went with "Carbon Freeze; Darth Vader's Trap; Departure of Boba Fett". The track has it all from the several variations of Han Solo and Leia's theme to the great use of timpani that introduces one of my favorite uses of the Imperial March when Han is brought out of the carbon freezing chamber. I also like the unusual use of Yoda's theme in a militaristic way in the middle of the track, and as Cerrabore pointed out, the thematic hat trick to end it.

One of my favorite tracks not on the list is "Aboard the Executor" when the Imperial March comes in at 2:44. I've always loved that variation. I think it's different in the movie, but I'm not quite sure.

I used to really enjoy the concert version of The Imperial March, but not so much any more. It's almost too comedic and you don't get that in the actual score much.

7. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    Yeah, it's replaced with the concert version of the Imperial March. There were some other scenes in which the Imperial March was also tracked in, but the Special Edition restored the original scores.

One thing is certain: it doesn't fit the movie. That's the nature of Williams's concert pieces. It's especially true of "Princess Leia's Theme" (which is acceptable because that music is so damned amazing, maybe more amazing than anything in the scores proper).

8. Cellist

Cellist Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 7, 2003
    Clash of Lightsabers. The final part of the track is just perfection, and the escape from Cloud City is one of my favorite moments from the saga.

9. SithLordVengeance

SithLordVengeance Jedi Youngling

Nov 28, 2006
    This was way to hard for me to choose as The Empire Strikes Back is my favorite Star Wars score. All though I chose The Battle Of Hoth I know it's multiple cues but it's still the best action sequence in the whole Star Wars Saga and I can always listen to it from beginning to end and multiple times.

10. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Ok, well this is William's masterpiece here. The whole soundtrack is stunning and he never ever hits these heights again. That being said, the asteroid field piece from ESB still stuns me. It isn't played as much as some of his trademark themes of course but it is some of his most original stuff. Nothing else he wrote really sounds like it.

11. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    After much deliberation, I've decided on "The Asteroid Field." No one writes action music like this anymore, including Williams. Full use of the entire orchestra with clear, specific motifs mixed in with the major themes that perfectly compliments the on screen drama. It's brilliant.

Honorable mention goes to "Mynock Cave" (which almost won), "Yoda and the Force," and "Attacking a Star Destroyer."

12. swtobbe

swtobbe Jedi Youngling

Jul 29, 2006
    My favourites -Yoda's Theme, Escape from Cloud City and The Battle in The Snow

13. GrandAdmiral_Frank

GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 2003
    I love all of the tracks. I wish I hadn't had to pick however I went for Yoda and the Force on this one. I actually cried one time when I heard it.

14. rodan70

rodan70 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 1, 2002
    You just can't top the ending music. The Rebel Fleet. The Feeling of loss... But the Feeling of Hope and the shock of Darth Vader being Luke's Father.

15. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    The Rebel Fleet, that's my favourite ending sequence and my favourite single scene because of that music

16. Gurthrim_Lah

Gurthrim_Lah Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2008
    The Imperial March

17. GuNgAnFaN3090

GuNgAnFaN3090 Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 16, 2008
    I loved the cloud city theme

18. PoopaPapaPalpatine

PoopaPapaPalpatine Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 25, 2008
    Of course, The Imperial March, but seeing how it isn't listed---Yoda and the Force. Just simply amazing.

19. TESB

TESB Jedi Knight

Mar 12, 2008
    I like them all really. The Imperial March steals the show, though. I voted Asteroid Field.

20. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I've all ways liked the 'Rebel Fleet'. I think it captures the hope and the anticipation after every character has been through hell

21. RurouniKJS

RurouniKJS Jedi Youngling star 2

May 4, 2005
    HATE this poll. It's like asking me to choose between my children.

WITH THEM ALL SITTING RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME.

:p

22. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    Hard choice between Rebel Fleet/End Title and Rescue From Cloud City/Hyperspace, but I had to go with the latter.

23. JediKnightSkywalker

JediKnightSkywalker Jedi Youngling

Dec 23, 2008
    "The Rebel Fleet/End Title" simply for the last 35 seconds...which IMO is the best ending musical sweep of all 6 End Credits sequences in the scores.

24. JocastaNu3

JocastaNu3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 11, 2008
    Hi, First time posting on any of these boards, and decided this was the PERFECT place to start, with the most perfect of all soundtracks ever created. Seeing as I wore out the double albums that summer, playing all of it over and over and over, it's nearly impossible to pick a favorite, but I must say I love The Asteroid Field. It has all of the excitement of that movie sequence, and it has the Imperial March, not only one of the greatest Star wars themes, but greatest themes. And it ends on such a beautiful light touch after all of the swells of adventure. Yoda's Theme is awesome, Training of a Jedi Knight, great, Departure of Boba Fett, great, Battle in the Snow, great. Finale is one of the best finales of the 6, Cloud City and Han and the Princess, also great. Least fave would be whatever was on the back of the second album. I know, get with this century.

25. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    Welcome to the Music Forum!

I still have my original ESB vinyl soundtrack, from back in the day when you got two discs!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.