main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tucson What Recent Star Wars Novel Have You Read? What was there about it that you enjoyed?

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Vangarian, Nov 27, 2004.

1. JediObiKat

JediObiKat Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 15, 2006
    Finished Millenium Falcon the other day. Has anyone else read that yet? I enjoyed getting to hear the stories about the various owners, even though the stories sometimes felt like a slow point in the book. The Falcon reminded me of the One Ring at times; it was like the ship had a mind of its own. I also liked them developing Allana's character more, though sometimes she came off, to me, as being younger than 7...like 4. I couldn't believe the smooshed owner was still alive 62 years later though... I really enjoyed the book up until the end, which I thought was a major let-down. My interpretation: "Oh wow! It's the treasure! Oh no! It's a fake! Okay! Let's keep hunting! Jadak, come along with me you has been hunting you all book! Okay! Off they go. Han & Co.: Oh no! Luke's arrested! Let's go! The end." That's no ending in my opinion.

2. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Haven't gotten Falcon yet. Need to get it. I'm having the worse luck with SW novels lately. I couldn't get to even page 30 of Deathstar and am hung up in Clone Wars.

3. Methodical

Methodical Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 19, 2006
    Yeah, I'm getting worried. Each new release seems to be worse than the one before. If the late '80s/early'90s were the Golden Age of Star Wars lit, I think we're not entering the Plastic Age.

4. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    I actually really enjoyed Death Star, I'm sorry to hear your not getting into it.

5. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    darn machine posted my message twice and never let me know it was posted the first time, let alone second.

6. YuuzhanVong_Rule

YuuzhanVong_Rule Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 31, 2008
    The Vector story arc ended in the comics and Darth Wyyrlok kills Krayt and Cade kills Celeste and Destroys the Murr Talisman

7. Vangarian

Vangarian Jedi Master star 4

Mar 9, 2003
    Well...once again I find myself back in catch-up-mode. My wife got me two hard covers for Christmas. One is Invincible and the other is Millennium Falcon. I have two others, that are Fury and Revelation. With the LoTF series wrapped up, I should be ready to start in Millennium Falcon and get a nice read out of that. So was Santa nice to everyone (book wise), I hope? If so who got any Star Wars novels for a Christmas present? :)

Vangarian

8. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    No books here.

9. esahr8

esahr8 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 8, 2008
    I got a leatherbound copy of the Complete Works of William Shakespeare.

Additionally, I also got a book about straight-to-DVD movies that don't suck.

Neither has anything to do with SW, but at least they're books.

I still have LotF and Force Unleashed to read anyways.

10. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    Those both sound like nice additions to your library.

11. YuuzhanVong_Rule

YuuzhanVong_Rule Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 31, 2008
    Fate of the Jedi begins March 24, http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Image:eek:utcast_cover.jpg (the cover).

And a book about Zekk on April 29, Blood Oath.

12. JediObiKat

JediObiKat Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 15, 2006
    And the Hapan twins are back!

Can't wait for both of the books! (and still on the waiting list to read Shadows of Mindor)

13. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    I still can't believe there was enough umph to make a book about Zekk.......

14. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    A whole book about Zekk? :eek:

15. esahr8

Oct 8, 2008
    I just finished the Episode 1 novelization, a decent read, but I've read better.

It was way overbearing on the potential for a relationship between Anakin and Padme, at one point, Anakin says "I'm going to marry you."

So I think I liked the movie better.

Next up, the Force Unleashed.

16. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    I'm a mush mush, I always kind of liked that line.

17. esahr8

Oct 8, 2008
    I mean I think it's interesting that the author (and likely Lucas in his earlier drafts) chose to put it in there.

But it just seems too clunky to me. It would be as if a novel had a point of foreshadowing, but the foreshadowing was a line that said "This is going to be a crappy day/week/year/lifetime for us." It's way too in-your-face.

The other route they could have been trying to take here was the "Look Anakin is so in-tune with the Force he can actually subconsciously see into the future." But again, they could have done this with more finesse than Anakin blurting out what that future would actually be.

18. GrandAdmiral_Frank

GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 2003
    I just read Yoda: Dark Rendezvous.

The book is set in between Episode II and Episode III and if I am correct it is a few months from the events of Reveonge of the Sith. The main plot point is that Dooku contacts Yoda and wishes to set up a meeting with him. Obviously two things can happen, either Yoda is walking into a trap or Dooku wants to defect. We all know though that Dooku does not defect. Essentially this meeting is mechanized by Darth Sidious so that Yoda can be eliminated and give the Sith an ever further advantage over their adversaries. Dooku, the proven Sith Lord, will of course do his masters bidding so we know his intentions behind the meeting.

There is a second part of the story that revolves around two Jedi apprentices and two Jedi Knights that eventually accompany Yoda. The way the story is written works them in well however that part of the story merely fills pages for me. I could have done with a story strictly about Dooku and Yoda. Assaj Ventress is also in it and like always she is either about to win or just flat out loses. She does however have some interesting things that she says to Dooku that really drive home. Anakin and Obi-Wan have a bit part that served only one purpose in the end and after all of that is said and done it really comes back to: Couldn't the story just have featured Yoda and Dooku?

The Yoda and Dooku showdown is certainly what makes the book worth the read and I have to say it is on par with their showdown in Attack of the Clones. This time however they take on an exchange of lines that should most definitely remind the reader of Luke and Vader's lines in Return of the Jedi. I have to say that the scene was so intense that even though I know Dooku's fate I almost felt that Yoda could bring Dooku back to the Jedi Order.

Sean Stewart does well in showing how the Clone Wars have affected the Jedi Order in general. He certainly gives plently a nod to the OT, especially in a part of the book involving an astromech droid. He also tends to show us more of that Yoda that we all grew up with who would show you divine wisdom, laugh hysterically, and poke you with a stick.

The only angle that threw me off was Padme and Anakin's angle. There is a scene with Obi-Wan covering for Anakin about Padme. He does it in a way that maybe Obi-Wan knew that Padme was important to Anakin and that he knew his former Padawan had a crush on her or something yet not knowing fully about the marriage. I don't know I just felt that it was something they focused on just to play with the idea of Obi-Wan possibly knowing more than we thought he knew.

I would say that if you like Dooku then this book will definitely give you more insight into his character just try to breeze through the other parts. As I mentioned the Yoda and Dooku showdown is worth it too.

19. Zedd

Zedd Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 20, 2007
    Not exactly a book I've read, but I thought this would be a good place to post this:

WARNING: Disturbing Image (I'm actually not kidding about this)
    Deathtroopers

This is going to be a Star Wars horror book that will come out around Halloween. For those of you that don't want to risk looking at the picture, it's basically a Stormtrooper helmet on a meathook, with lots of blood everywhere and you can see some of the flesh and bone coming out the bottom of the helmet.

It looks pretty cool (don't take that the wrong way), but I'm not exactly a fan of killing Stormtroopers, especially not like this. Those poor guys deserve more dignity!

20. esahr8

Oct 8, 2008
    I've been excited for Deathtroopers ever since I heard that there was going to be a SW horror novel. Apparently Schreiber is kind of a big deal in the horror book community so it should be a good novel.

21. Methodical

Methodical Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 19, 2006
    Schreiber is a pretty good horror author. I'm more excited about the Deathtroopers book than pretty much anything else coming out this year. The Zekk book might be interesting, though I'm not sure if he can carry a book.

22. Hero_Of_The_Force

Hero_Of_The_Force Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 22, 2008
    What is Deathtroopers about exactly?

23. esahr8

Oct 8, 2008
    No one knows really, other than it will be a horror novel.

24. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    I don't think he is a big enough character to carry a book either.

I've almost finished Shadows of Mindor and I am not very impressed with it so far, though I am curious to see how it finishes up, but it's not the sort of book that you just can't put down, I had no trouble walking away from the last fifty pages for a few days.

25. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    I just finished Shadows of Mindor. It was decent, but not the sort of book you just can't put down, I liked the very beginning and the very end best. Not much to report on it, I would give it a yes for the books to read. Just as long as you don't expect a tremendous fantastic read. Just a decent read.