main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Wheel of Time (No AMoL spoilers)

Discussion in 'Community' started by NYCitygurl, Oct 28, 2012.

1. darth-bendy-ned

darth-bendy-ned Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2001
    sorry...double post.

2. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    She kind of stops that, eventually. Kind of *laughs*

3. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I think it's funny at first, but it does get tiring later on, especially ...

... with what becomes, in part, a gender war between the Aes Sedai and the Ashaman. Largely because certain Aes Sedai try to control the situation instead of working with Rand, but still.

4. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    That's because we chicks are crazy

5. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    I'm on The Great Hunt right now and certain names and objects are bringing up muddled memories of the plot. Sometimes I squee a bit and other times my eyes pop open.

Especially with ones like Liandrin and Elaida.
    And the Aes Sedai shawls!

I can't wait for Aviendha to come in.

6. darth-bendy-ned

Feb 9, 2001
    The splitting of the tower is one of (if not 'the') my favourite sub-plots. I really dig the passive-aggressive Egwene

7. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Yeah. There was a lot around that and too many Darkfriends than I had thought possible had come out.

Them and the Black Ajah was made up of too many Sisters, IMO.

8. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    I love how Verin takes everyone by surprise...even herself. She's a Brown with a near-solid foot in current events. She's strong and is always more than she seems. The more I read (and reread), the more I enjoy scenes with her in them.

9. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    I'm sorry for the double post in one day, but I looked to see if there even was a list of characters like darth-bendy-ned suggested.

It has been done, and can be found here. What's great is you can look up chronological order or ABC order; initial descriptions from each book or final descriptions as are currently known.

NYCitygurl and darth-bendy-ned like this.
  10. Darth_Smeagol

Darth_Smeagol Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2000
    That site is very impressive. I'm honestly stunned that someone had the time and patience to put that all together. Keeping all the characters straight has always been a problem for me with WOT.

NYCitygurl likes this.
  11. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    It really is. He put a LOT into that.

I love the WoT and ASoIAF series, but there are so many characters - including 'minor' ones - that I don't know how the authors kept/keep track!

12. darth-bendy-ned

Feb 9, 2001
    oh yes.

EDIT: I love the old school 'angelfire' feel of that website. you don't see enough of that anymore.

13. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I'm about 80 pages away from the end of Eye. I love Jordan, I really do ... and I love Eye ... but sometimes I think he could have moved things along a lot fast. 700 pages and they're still at Fal Dara 8-}

This is, really, more a complaint about future books, though.

Elaida was in Eye as well as Morgase's advisor. She seems ... well, fairly normal, surprisingly. Not a bitch.

I forgot that Gareth Bryne and Morgase were in love; I keep associating him with Siuan.

14. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    After a small hiatus with library books, I'm going to start on The Dragon Reborn today. Where is everyone else at?

15. emilsson

emilsson Force Ghost star 6

Oct 5, 1998
    Throughout this year I've been rereading the whole series and aimed for one book each month. I have fallen slightly behind schedule because right now I am 300 pages into Crossroads of Twillight.

This time around Verin is probably my favourite character together with Mat from book 4 and onwards.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  16. SoloKnight

SoloKnight Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    I'm about halfway done with Path of Daggers. Of the major characters, Mat is definitely my favorite. For secondary characters I like Birgitte. I like that he and Mat are bros.

17. Darth_Smeagol

Darth_Smeagol Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2000
    I'm a big Mat fan too. I think the reason Path of Daggers is my least favorite book of the series is solely due to Mat not being in it. I've also always been partial to Lan for some reason.

I started a reread before Towers of Midnight came out but only got about half way through The Great Hunt before I gave up on it. Right now it just seems like too daunting a task to start all over at the beginning. I might try to start with Knife of Dreams and see if I can at least refresh the most recent events.

18. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    well, you're both ahead of my reread.
    Mat is my absolute favourite too. I liked Min at first but she started to fall by the wayside for me. Aviendha is fun for me to read.

19. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    That was really smart. I'm a few chapters into The Great Hunt.

After re-reading Eye, does anyone else think the Lan and Nynaeve thing was kinda sudden? It was obvious she had a crush from her quick POV chapter, but all of the sudden, they're both in love?

Also, when Rand is at Tarwin's Gap and shouting at Ba'alzamon that it needs to end now and he hears a voice ... was that the Creator? I honestly can't think of a single other person it could be, though the Creator seems like less of an entity than the Dark Lord and doesn't actually appear anywhere.

20. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    It felt sudden to me too. The only thing that makes it believable is that they were out there for weeks, even though it only spans a few chapters. The backstory there is quite lacking.

Hmm...could be. I don't think about these things so your guess is better than my nonexistent one.

21. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    You know, i bought the first five books sometime ago. I should get around to reading them someday.

NYCitygurl likes this.
  22. SoloKnight

SoloKnight Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    Lan and Nynaeve may seem sudden but they get tons of development compared to Elayne and Rand. They spend what, an hour together, before she falls for him?

23. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    ^A lot of his relationships kind of fall to the wayside. You'd think that such a powerful Dragon would be written so he's pretty much a loner or is just awesome enough to focus on many. I always thought Rand would be the former, but Jordan wrote an imbalance with it.

DO IT

24. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I actually prefer Rand and Egwene's backstory. He'd wanted her forever, and she liked him, too, so even though they were in the awkwardpre-relationship stage, it seems everyone always figured that in their little village, without many choices, they would obviously get married. They just hadn't acted on anything.

25. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Because of how freaking PROPER everything is