main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

When how much is too much

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by JediANGELA, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediANGELA

JediANGELA Jedi Master star 6

Sep 28, 2002
    I looked in the index, and through the forum, and I couldn't find anything on this topic, so here we go. By now, most of you know that I am a devoted, loyal fan of the New York Yankees, and all New York sports. But I rarely go to live games for one simple reason, ticket prices. My father gave up his Jets season tickets cause the ticket prices became too expensive, and single game tickets are next too impossible to get.

For front row tickets in Yankee Stadium, $400, yet in Arizona theyre only $185 gameday. Tickets for the New York Rangers, in nosebleed for a regular season game, $30.50, yet if you go to Atlanta for example, $10.00. I know I'm particular to NY sports, but what is everyone's thoughts and feelings on this. How much is just too much to pay to see a live sporting event?

2. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    New York is one of the most expensive places (13, AFAIK) to live in the world and the most expensive in North America. It is occupied by a substantial upper class and also receives 40 million tourists a year. Suffice to say, demand for tickets is pretty high, and there are many people willing to pay for high ticket prices.

And for many companies that buy boxes and seats, it's chump change for them.

To put it bluntly, you're not in Kansas anymore, Dorothy ...er, Angela.

3. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    I think that's ridiculous. You can't blame the teams for doing it, but really, sports should be something that everybody should be able to enjoy live.

4. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    The DBacks have 1 dollar seats.

I love them. [face_love]

5. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Speaking in general, I'm not sure what I shall think about the high prices. On the one side the prices are the reasons why I rarely visit any competition. I just can't afford it or don't want to spend that much money on it. So as a customer I like to see small prices and a great event.

But on the other side I can understand that the organisors have to take some money. Without money they can't organise the whole event and that would be sad. It is also logical that they need more money the more important or popular the events/team(s) are, otherwise they couldn't pay the extra-security and other things.

But if that^ justify the extrem high prices? I don't know. I think it is more that there are enough fans who are willing to pay that price and as long as enough people pay the price they won't sell the tickets for less.

6. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    High prices are found everywhere and in a lot of cases it's purely a subjective value based against what you earn.

If I go to watch England play I'm looking at paying £30-40 for a ticket and because they don't play too often they can charge a premium and know that fans will watch them.

A good proportion of Premiership tickets are £30+ (very few are less and a large percentage are more) but again when looking at the demand for the tickets the clubs will charge what they can as there will always be someone willing to pay it.

7. Saruman-the-White

Saruman-the-White Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 1, 2005

8. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    The season when the NHL wasn't played there were quite a lot of interest in the Swedish hockeyleague instead, and I remember seeing some reports where the american news teams that were there were very surprised over the low prices for the games. I checked it up and for the best team in the capitol the price ranges from around $13 (students, official supporters and families) to $44 for the premium seats.

9. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    It's really just a matter of supply and demand. As long as people are willing to pay high prices to attend sporting events, owners are going to continue to charge them.

10. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.