main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Where was the whip?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by RareSaturn, Jun 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jango10

Jango10 Jedi Master star 5

Sep 22, 2002
    I really didn't notice Indy not using his whip or pistol.

2. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    His whip used its frequent flier miles...actually, there really wasn't much of a chance for him to use it.

3. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I don't think that has anything to do with it. Ford was in great shape for this film and did most of his own stunts. Surely, he could still handle a whip and revolver if asked to. I honestly don't understand why people are upset about this. As I pointed out before, the previous Indy films didn't have much in terms of whip cracking either. KotCS is right on par with the originals.

4. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    Yeah, he used it five times in Raiders and three times in Crystal Skull. I don't know what the count is for the other movies, but either way I don't see the problem.

5. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    Its really only because of Raiders that it became a signature, its used all the time in that film but in the two sequels it only comes out seldomly, I suspect because it was expected that Jones use the whip so it became a convenient device to use from time to time.

In Raiders:

-he whips the gun out the guys hand at the beginning, and theres that dramatic shot of him coiling it up.
    -then he goes and swings across the chasm with it
    -then on the way back the whip becomes a life-or-death device of survival--"throw me the whip!". And then theres that dramatic moment where he pulls it out from under the door just in the nick of time.
    -he later uses it against the swordsmen, the only time in the franchise where Harrison Ford actually has to crack it like a weapon like that
    -in the well of souls Marion almost sets Indy on fire because she thinks the whip is a snake
    -he uses the whip to climb up the statue
    -then he uses the whip to great effect in the truck by dragging himself behind it

So the whip is a signature part of Raiders, especially since no other action hero had used a whip, it was very distinctive. But in the two sequels its only really done as a homage than anything else. He uses it in Doom to lower himself down to the platform and then at the end to swing away from the scaffold, and in Crusade he uses it to swing into the castle and then to grab his father on the tank. Crystal Skull is probably the most whip-heavy of all three sequels, actually.

6. somethingfamiliar

somethingfamiliar Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2003
    There was a movie that came out the month after Raiders that features some prominent whip usage: Zorro the Gay Blade, an action comedy in which a deceased Zorro's son takes over the rapier and black mask. When this Zorro is injured, his fuh-lamingly effeminate brother covers for him, wearing multiple brightly colored costumes and using a whip as his trademark weapon. Summer 1981 - season of the whip.

7. battlewars

battlewars Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    Weren't people complaining that they thought Indy would over use his whip before KOTCS came out? That he would use his whip now like he was Spiderman? I liked he didn't use it that much for that reason.

8. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    That is exactly what was being said. We didn't get that and now people are complaining that he didn't use the whip enough. Very ironic.

9. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Not sure about Temple, but here's what I remember from Crusade:

1. Young Indy using it against the lion in the train.
    2. Indy swinging across the alleyway and into Henry's room.
    3. Indy using it to keep Henry from falling off the tank.

10. Jango10

Jango10 Jedi Master star 5

Sep 22, 2002
    In Raiders:

1. To disarm the guy at the beginning
    2. To swing across the pit
    3. To take the hot iron away from Toht
    4. Fight the guys in the streets of Cairo

That's all I can remember. So yeah, he doesn't really use it much more than he did in Skull.

11. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    In the case of Mutt it was more that he carries a switchblade, and seems to be quite skilled with it, based on the way he was playing with it, but he used a sword to fight Spalko. If they make another Indy movie after this one, I have a feeling that we'll see him use a sword again. If he does, then the sword, and not the knife, is Mutt's signature weapon.

12. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    Concordant with the reading that the heroes carry "masculine" symbological weapons, I would hazard an opinion that the Macguffins of at least two of the films -- Raiders and Crusade -- are "feminine" symbological objects, womb-like vessels that hold creative powers within them. Whether this reading was intended by the authors of the films or not is up for debate, but it is one possible interpretation of the underlying thematic elements of the films.

13. Indyman

Indyman Jedi Youngling

Apr 23, 2008
  14. Indyman

Indyman Jedi Youngling

Apr 23, 2008
    Well saving Mac wasn't really a whip stunt. He just flicked it to him, as opposed to in Raiders; cracking a guy's gun out, cracking Toht's blazing hot iron poker out of his hand, being dragged behind a moving truck, or whipping the Arabs in Cairo, or swinging across the pit thing at the beginning in the Idol Temple part..... it was a lot less in Kingdom, which was I must admit disappointing once you realized it.

15. GrandAdmiral_Frank

GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 2003
    I was so into the movie that I didn't even miss the lack of whip in the film. Give me crap if you will but I was more into seeing what was going to happen next.

16. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    The whip is just one of many Indy trademarks. It was used enough in the new movie. There's alot more going on, obviously, and whip gags have been done again and again in previous installments. Three times is plenty per movie.

Indyman's discounting Indy's use of the whip to try and save Ray Winstone -- on the basis that, I guess, he's using it to rescue Ray Winstone -- is reaching. Either he's using it or he isn't; and in this case, he is.

17. Beirut

Beirut Jedi Master

Apr 8, 2005
    There was also a deleted scene where Indy used his whip against a cemetery warrior. (Note that Indy is dragging the whip behind him as he screams, "Those darts are poisonous" and chases after one of the warriors.)

If they had kept the scene in the film, it would've given the film one more whip usage than Crusade. As it stands, they are pretty much even.

I think Spielberg primarily wanted Indy to use his whip early in this one. Once the audience realized that Indy was back, the whip then took a backseat to the storyline.

18. jedibri

jedibri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2000
    Indy was older. This film wa more about relationship's coming togather & coming back togather. I think they felt that was where they wanted to take Indy now. Older wiser not quite the fighter (yes he did fight I relize that) he once was. It was time for Mutt to start down the path of his Father.

19. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    I really wish they hadn't cut when Indy used it a the cemetary.

20. darthvecron

darthvecron Jedi Youngling

Sep 14, 2007
    I've noticed that through the trilogy, Indy seems to use his whip less and less. I think this is mostly because you have to be very creative to think of a situation when a whip is useful and there aren't many. I also the scene where he first uses the whip to be a little cheesy, but I already knew that he had forgotten how to use a whip. I saw him on Leno once and he tried to crack a whip, it didn't work. He knocked over a water glass and almost hit Leno in the eye. But after watching the special features, I don't as much of a problem with that scene now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.