main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DFW, TX Which is better: The DLP showing at Legacy or the 35mmFilm/THX at Galaxy 9??

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by DARTHKOOL, May 12, 2002.

?

Which is better: The DLP showing at Legacy or the 35mmFilm/THX at Galaxy 9??

Poll closed May 22, 2002.
  1. Cinemark Legacy

15 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. Galaxy 9

9 vote(s)
    37.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DARTHKOOL

DARTHKOOL Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2002
  2. krwade3

krwade3 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 4, 2000
    cant really say since I have never seen a movie on DLP.

But The THX in Galaxy was pretty darn good..

3. Nabooty_Call

Nabooty_Call Former RSA / Obi-Wan Impersonator star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 11, 2000
    Since I've not seen it on either, haven't voted yet...but if Ice Age is any indication, the DLP version will be much more visually gripping.

4. jwa1107

jwa1107 Jedi Youngling

Apr 2, 2002
  5. DARTHKOOL

May 12, 2002
    Yeahp, You got until the end of the Weekend to watch both and decide. But my votes stands without saying...

6. csierra

csierra Jedi Youngling

May 3, 2002
    I too want to see it with TI's DLP this weekend before I cast my vote. Does anyone know the show times for AOTC in the DLP theater? I tried looking on their website but it does not tell you which theater the showings are in.
    Thanks,
    CSierra

7. jwa1107

jwa1107 Jedi Youngling

Apr 2, 2002
    for DLP showings try this link on Fandango
    http://www.fandango.com/movie_page.asp?mv=46460

8. DARTHKOOL

May 12, 2002
    Sorry...

What I should have said was:"Which is better? Your PREVIOUS Favorite movie or ATTACK OF THE CLONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I'm speechless, I'm floored, I can't believe what I just saw. You cannot top what happened in the movie theatre tonight. Just unreal. It was absolutely COLOSSAL.

My many thanks to George Lucas.

He's done it again!

9. Mithrandir

Mithrandir Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 1999
    Mesa Dellow Feligates:

I have now seen AOTC at the DLP in Legacy and at the UA Galaxy.

The DLP had SUPERIOR video over the Galaxy (and I'm sure any other 35mm print). I mean the DLP was almost TOO crystal clear. I will say this: I'm willing to chalk up the 35mm prints grainy/fuzz picture quality to transfer from digital.

HOWEVER!!!!!!!!!

THX AT THE GALAXY IS ABSOLUTELY OUT OF THIS WORLD!!!!!! I'M NOW OFFICIALY DONE SEEING AOTC AT THE LEGACY. It was good one time for the "experience it the way Lucas intended" thing, but NOTHING ABSOLUTLEY NOTHING BEATS THE THX SOUND IN THEATER 5 AT THE UA GALAXY 9.

My goal is to see AOTC at least 10 times in the theater. I've now seen it twice. I have 8 more trips to make to the Galaxy. Yes that's right THE GALAXY!!!!!!!!

10. Darth_Chocolate

Darth_Chocolate Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 21, 2002
    Ok guys. I have to agree with Eric on this one. We (Eric D., Eric S., Kenley, Kevin, and I) made our second viewing of AOTC today, and we trekked all the way out to the Galaxy and......

IT IS ABSOLUTELY WORTH IT!!!

You definately need to see the movie at least once or twice on the DLP at the Legacy for the picture's sake. But nothing can beat the feeling you get when the Force (read: THX) flows thru you and all your surroundings. Everything was vibrating: the concrete, the chairs, our clothes, even the little hairs on your arms and back of your neck.

I personally think the very best sequence to hear in THX was the Slave 1 vs. Jedi Starfighter duel in the asteroid belt, but the opening sequence with the Naboo ship approaching Coruscant was pretty good as well.

Please do yourself a favor and take a trip out to the Galaxy to treat yourself to one helluva ride in good ol' theater #5!!

11. Firehawk-Jeff

Firehawk-Jeff Jedi Master star 1

Mar 8, 2002
    We went to the Galaxy tonight for the 7:30 show and I'd have to say it was way better than the Legacy. Picture quality was noticeably worse than the DLP when I was looking for hte difference but the THX sound was just so much better. I'm definitely going back to the Galaxy to see it again and again.

12. krwade3

Dec 4, 2000
    I will agree with eric as well. DLP was perfect too perfect. You can see the difference in the prints, but the sounds makes any imperfections in the print disappear very quickly. One thing is for sure the 35mm gives the film an older feel like the original Trilogy. And that with THX made it all the better.

I do say this see it in DLP first and you will appreciate both more. The CG on the DLP was some times impossible to differenciate. Where as in the THX Galaxy you could see the differences a lil bit more clearly. Even still it was Stunning. Sound does make for a better movie. Either way see it both ways DLP and THX. you will not be disappointed...

Red 5 Out

13. darthoutlaw

darthoutlaw Jedi Youngling

Apr 19, 2002
    well, last night I took my family to view it at the galaxy in theater 5 and all I can say is WOW!, that is such a better experience than the Legacy. The digital picture was impressive and all but it just doesn't compare, not even close to the galaxy. Between the the huge screen and the thx sound, which to me made all the difference in the world, the experience is a no brainer. The galaxy wins hands down. The sheer size or the screen makes up the difference for the clarity, but you can't match the sound anywhere and that is what I love. I have to drive quite a ways to see it any ways so what is 15-20 more minutes for the better experience. It is the galaxy for me. I hope next time we choose the theater with the best total experience and not just the best picture.

14. DARTHKOOL

May 12, 2002
    Just two more days to vote!!

I heard from Karen at the Expo this Weekend say she has seen AOTC at CINEMARK LEGACY, then the GALAXY 9 and then back again at LEGACY.

Each time it was a better experience than the next. Someone from Cinemark (I'm guessing) told her that the sound for OPENING Night WAS NOT calibrated right off of the DLP. Thus it WAS NOT heard the way their system was capable of playing inside Theatre 13 at Legacy.

I'm going back tomorrow to check it out and see what the deal is.

15. Jedi_Jarvis

Jedi_Jarvis Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2001
    Nabooty has also said they goosed up the volume at the Legacy.

I went tonight to the Galaxy and I will have to say the sound is outstanding! But I liked the visual of the DLP much better. The only thing that was better on the film was when Ct Dooku steppped into the shadows, you can see the door behind him better, but thats IT!

The frame rates just didnt look like it was right on some of the shots, Especially the pans, and several of the Cloning room shots in paticular, seemed alot clearer on the DLP.

Of course, I havent fully made up my mind yet, I'll have to see the DLP once again with the improved sound to see if that will help win me back to the Legacy.

But I agree with Kenleys statement earlyer, about the roaches, Tonight the theater was a bit dirty, especially in the bathrooms, it was gross. I'm used to sticking to the floor in the theater from all the spilled drinks, but NOT in the restrooms ;)

But I'm sure it was just an off night.

16. Nabooty_Call

Nabooty_Call Former RSA / Obi-Wan Impersonator star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 11, 2000
    Okay, as mentioned I've seen it at both now, and with the sound ramp-up at the Legacy, they get my vote unequivocably!

The depth and clarity of the digital image, combined with the almost alive colors everything had, has spoiled me...plus I dig the shot in the digital version, where Padme grasps Anakin's mechanical hand in the wedding scene.

DLP all the way on this one!!!

17. Solaris112

Solaris112 Jedi Youngling

Apr 22, 2002
    I havent heard anything about them adjusting the sound at the Legacy. I am going to see the movies at both the Galaxy and the Legacy. Its the best way for me to get a side by side compersion. But if they have changed the sound at the legacy. Then rest assured I will be there :) DLP ROCKS!!!!!

18. beebofett69

beebofett69 Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2002
    Hey everyone!
    I'm new here, but a lifelong SW fan. Loved Episode 2 and was proud to be standing in a not-so-monstrous line for that first night's midnight showing at the UA Galaxy 9.

I'm a friend of fellow new member, "Flix", aka Brad Miller, part time projectionist, who actually ran the 35mm print that night and had the auditorium's THX sound tweeked for optimum audio orgasmic bliss. I am not biased just because I know the guy. He knows his stuff, and he's damn good at it.

I have not seen the DLP presentation yet, and I look forward to it, though most, if not all of those shows are sold out, meanwhile one can easily hop over to the Biggest Screen in Texas and see a FANTASTIC presentation. The picture was crisp, clean, bright and the sound is UNEQUALLED in the DFW area. Your seat rumbles from start to finish.

I've heard multiple reports of the DLP presentation totally rocking visually, with something to be desired in the sound department.

Everyone has their own opinion, and this is mine.........for hands-down, THE best sound presentation bar none, you OWE IT TO YOURSELF to see Star Wars Episode 2 on the gigantor screen at the UA Galaxy 9.

Mind you, I did not have issues with the visual presentation at all, but the sound is the real kicker here. Episode 2's genius sound design needs to be shown off and for Metroplex fans, it luckily is.

19. Solaris112

Apr 22, 2002
    Well today I went and saw AOTC at both the Galaxy and the legacy. To be honest in my opinion I think that they equal themselves out. The sound system at the Legacy is better now since the premier, however I still dont think it is anywere near as good as the Galaxies THX system. The Galaxy had it turned up really loud and sounds awsome. The hair on my head was moving. :) The picture quality was fair at the most. I saw a bit of "wobble" in the picture. The Galaxy is also going down the tubs. The past couple of years have not been good to it. In my opinion the only thing the Galaxy has left is the sound system which by far is still the best I have ever heard.

Basiclly if you want Excellent image quality and decent sound go to the Legacy and vise verse for the Galaxy.

I will continue to see the movie at both theaters. Just more at the legacy in the fact it takes me some time to get to the Galaxy from Plano :p

20. Solaris112

Apr 22, 2002
    Oh ya btw did anyone notice a scene differece at the end of AOTC. On the DLP and the analog?. Anakins hand is the mechanical one on the DLP. but his real one on the analog print. Just wondering if anyone noticed that. :)

21. DarkWolf_777

DarkWolf_777 Jedi Youngling

Apr 21, 2002
    Can't wait to see the DLP. Me and Darth Snoogans caught the 7:30 pre-screen at the Galaxy ... the sound was as all have said, incredible!

We'd tried to go this weekend to catch a DLP screening, but of course, it was all sold out. We're going to try again tomorrow/today if possible. I hear there's 8 minutes of additional footage on the DLP that's not in the celluloid prints? Can anyone confirm that? That would rock!

22. krwade3

Dec 4, 2000
    I think you were smokin something when you saw it again... Its the same damn hand when I saw it....

23. Darth_Chocolate

Mar 21, 2002
    I have seen AOTC on both Mitchell, and I'm 99% sure that Ani has a machanical hand on BOTH versions of the movie. The main difference is that in the DLP, it's a heck of a lot more vibrant and detailed. I'm going back to Galaxy on Thursday afternoon, so i'll confirm this then.

PS, if anyone wants to join me on Thursday, let me know.

24. krwade3

Dec 4, 2000
    What time are you going or did I miss that in your post... When is the next meeting I am egar to get things rolling for EP3 all ready, dam didnt realize ATOC had that kinda of effect on me...

O Wait no it was C2 and how bad it was that makes me want to get the ball rolling....

Red 5 Out

25. Darth_Chocolate

Mar 21, 2002
    not sure of the time yet, i have to call them today to make sure that i get the early afternoon on theater #5.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.