main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DFW, TX Which is better: The DLP showing at Legacy or the 35mmFilm/THX at Galaxy 9??

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by DARTHKOOL, May 12, 2002.

?

Which is better: The DLP showing at Legacy or the 35mmFilm/THX at Galaxy 9??

Poll closed May 22, 2002.
  1. Cinemark Legacy

15 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. Galaxy 9

9 vote(s)
    37.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firehawk-Jeff

Firehawk-Jeff Jedi Master star 1

Mar 8, 2002
    I'll be at the Galaxy. See ya there.

2. DARTHKOOL

DARTHKOOL Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2002
    So when I'm up at FANDANGO.COM, how do I know which theatre is which if I want to get tickets to the BIG Theatre 5?

3. Firehawk-Jeff

Mar 8, 2002
    I don' think you can buy tickets for the Galaxy at Fandango. Try www.uatc.com

4. Darth_Chocolate

Darth_Chocolate Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 21, 2002
    Couple of things:

First- You can use Moviefone to buy tix for the Galaxy. Just be aware that there is a $1 surcharge for doing so.

Second- You cannot tell which theater you are going to be purchasing for when you buy tix online. I just call the office # for the Galaxy (or Legacy) before I go to make my purchase. That way you know exactly which showtime to buy.

Last- I just got back from seeing About a Boy... DOH!! I mean AOTC at the Legacy in #13 DLP again. That's the same one we have seen it on in the past. I can notice a sound difference.... different from the Galaxy. And to me, it is still a considerable amount less enjoyable that the Galaxy (sound wise). Now of course, the picture is twice as good here from what I recall the Galaxy's as being last week, but I will confirm this on Thursday. It's still a toss up for me. If I'm in the mood for an awesome visual experience, I'll hit up the Legacy (and it's closer to home). But if I'm wanting to be blown away by sound I will travel to the Galaxy.

If only the Galaxy would get DLP....

5. DARTHKOOL

May 12, 2002
    No, if only NORTHPARK 1 were still here!

Thanks for the tip fellers!

6. Jedi--fan

Jedi--fan Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2002
    After seeing 12:01 at the Galaxy and Saturday afternoon at the Legacy...the Galaxy definitely was a better experience. The poll has closed, but that doesn't matter since the Legacy had a bunch of votes BEFORE THE MOVIE OPENED??? Looking at the replies it looks like the Galaxy was prefered. It is pretty clear where the line should be next year...Legacy, that way I will be closer to the front for Episode III at the Galaxy! :)

Observation - some of you acted like little children in this thread. (You know who you are.) Get some class.

7. krwade3

krwade3 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 4, 2000
    He comes another individual stiring things up yet again. You have the nerve to come in here and call somebody chilldren fanBOY. Keep your comments to yourself that is where they can be best served. Besides if you thought it was better for us NOT to say whatever it is we did say, then there would be no reason for your comment. :eek:

But better yet just to leave it alone since it doesnt apply to U... Ponder on that if you will. Let it marinate...

Kdub

8. Jedi--fan

Jedi--fan Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2002
    Stay on topic.... We're too close! Stay on topic... LOOSEN UP! :D

9. krwade3

Dec 4, 2000
  10. scudknight

scudknight Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 2, 2000
    Looks like I'm going to have to have more of a physical presence. You fanboys are becoming far too reckless.

The Galaxy screening I saw was phenomenal in sound. I doubt it can be surpassed, but I admit the picture quality had some grain to it. Will see it on DLP as soon as possible.

11. krwade3

Dec 4, 2000
    Like your physical Presense is going to change anything.... I think not.

But one thing I have to say about the Galaxy print was that it had a feel like the trilogy. When I watch then they have an old feel to them, and I got that same feeling with EP2 which I thought was kinda cool. Brought the movies together and had the same look and feel about them.

Kdub

12. scudknight

scudknight Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 2, 2000
    We'll see fanboy...we'll see. :)

13. DARTHKOOL

May 12, 2002
    The Galaxy sound is out of this world. But the picture quality stinks.

Give me DLP any day of the Week.

14. Darth_Chocolate

Mar 21, 2002
    Post #1 after my viewing at the Galaxy yesterday:

Ok guys. I've been back to the Galaxy again now, and I have to say that I much prefer the "experience" at the UA Galaxy 10 there more than the "movie" on DLP at the Cinemark Legacy. This is after 3 viewings at the Legacy and 2 at the Galaxy. Look at it this way....

When you watch a show at the Legacy on DLP, you get GREAT visual quality, but the sound just isn't where it should be. You just can't "feel" the movie. You are only getting one of your senses aroused? sight. [face_plain]

But when you go take in a showing at the Galaxy on theater #5, you can really hear everything. You and your chair are vibrating with every saber blow and explosion. And although it may only be a film version of the movie, it is one of the best possible theaters to see film (clean with few scratches, etc?). You are getting 3 of your senses pleased with this experience?. sight, sound, AND feeling. :D

Nothing can beat the orgasmic feeling you get when those sonic charges go off in the asteroid field. [face_blush] You can actually feel the peril for Obi-Wan because you actually feel asteroids exploding all around him. :eek: And I personally think that the Mids and Highs are better in the Galaxy. They are almost too sharp and piercing at the Legacy, and there is no Bass to counter it out with.

The Legacy?s legacy just can?t hold it?s own against the Galaxy far, far away?.

15. Darth_Chocolate

Mar 21, 2002
    Post #2 after my viewing at the Galaxy yesterday:

Now, what was said above is relating to the quality of the movie experience ONCE the sound was turned on in the theater!! Check this out?

It was myself with my Aunt, Jeff and his friend that he brought in from Sherman, TX, and I can never remember your name man ?[face_plain] , but you had your son with you yesterday. When the lights went down and the previews began to roll, something just didn?t sound right. I could not feel/hear any bass with the MIB2 trailer and I?m sure I have before. So I got up and ran down the hall to the girl who was tearing tix and asked her to have them check it before the movie began to play. She picked up her walkie-talkie and began to talk into it, so I figured it was taken care of. Boy was I wrong. [face_plain]
    The first time I went to the Galaxy for AOTC last week, my 2nd favorite scene was the opening sequence where the Royal Naboo ship passes over us 3 times and then explodes. Every thing in the theater (including my chair) was vibrating. I love this because you can really get a sense of the size of this starship and then you feel like you are on that landing platform when it explodes. Unfortunately, upon this viewing yesterday, the sound was just not there. It was like watching a big screen TV with MONO sound and no bass. :eek:

So I ran back out and complained again about the sound, to which I was told they?d get right on it. I felt like Branson was working there? ;) Now I was hoping that at least the rest of the movie would be better. Boy was I wrong AGAIN. :mad:

Apparently the sound was never touched. So from the whole scene with Zam and her chase all the way until Obi-Wan meets Jango on Kamino in his apartment (about an hour into the movie), we are listening to crap. I kept hoping that they would get it fixed and get it right, but it was clear that wasn?t going to happen by the end of the apartment scene. And I wanted good sound for the duel and subsequent chase through the asteroids. So I pulled out my cell phone and called the box office from inside the theater to which I was told that someone would fix it.

Finally, on my 3rd complaint for them to correct the problem, the sound kicked in. We all (in my party) could clearly tell when the digital sound was turned on, even though we were watching a conversation at the time. The next scene was the Jango/Obi-Wan duel and that was great. From then on, the movie was fine.

After the show, we tried to complain and were told to wait and someone would be with us shortly, but after about 10 min of waiting we left. It was enough time for everyone in our group to run to the restroom and come back (even my Aunt ;) ).

Although the presentation was good AFTER the sound was turned on, the customer service sucked. I don?t know why I would take me 3 tries to get the sound turned up/on and why we were ignored after the show, but it was not pleasant. I will probably go back to see AOTC at the Galaxy due to the great sound, but perhaps they care more about their customers on the weekend when they have massive amounts of them than the few weekday matinee customers. So I suppose I?ll just have to fight thru the large weekend crowds and lines just to see this movie the way it should be seen. Or I can just go to the DLP at the Legacy, which is closer to my house anyway. :(

"Lost some respect the Galaxy has. How embarrassing, how embarrassing!"

16. Flix

Flix Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2002
    And at this point I would like to throw in a crucial disclaimer...I have NOTHING to do with floor operations. I got into a heated argument with the manager last night about how poorly this group was treated and she would not budge.

Guys, if you go to the Galaxy and ANYTHING is wrong (projection or otherwise), let the managers hear about it and don't leave until EVERY complaint of yours is satisfied. If you don't get satisfaction, call the corporate office. I am quite angry over this! I worked as a theater manager for this company for 5 years and I was NOT taught to treat customers like what happened yesterday to Darth_Chocolate and his group. I might also recommend you go to evening performances, when the better projectionists work. However, the manager's decision is final and hopefully she was just having a really bad day and this sort of thing will never happen again. Still that is no excuse.

I must throw in one tiny thing regarding your comments. You said "it is one of the best possible theaters to see film (clean with few scratches, etc?)". There are no scratches on that print that I am aware of (or any in the complex for that matter) and an ex-projectionist of mine (who is very picky) screened that same print last night after you saw it and reported it was flawless from beginning to end. Remember, just because it is "film" does not automatically mean it is "scratched". I think perhaps all this talk about DLP has conditioned some thought patterns into thinking that film has scratches by default.

17. Firehawk-Jeff

Mar 8, 2002
    Well I did notice a couple scratches but not enough to make me dislike watching the theater there. The overall experience at the Galaxy is truly great.

18. Flix

Flix Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2002
    We replaced a few of those reels that had lab printing defects on Wednesday after closing. I certainly hope those new reels did not have processing scratches! Regardless, I don't have the spare time to screen the print to check it right now, but Ron Beardmore from Northpark is attending this Saturday and I will check with him after his screening and order more reels if there is indeed a problem. I looked in on it multiple times last night though and everything was perfect. A theater scratch will be one of three colors, black, green or yellow. Also, scratches caused at the theater level generally run from the beginning to the end of the movie since the entire film is ran on one machine non-stop. If you saw something else, it was probably in the negative, the transfer from video to film or is a processing mark and as such would be out of our control.

19. Mithrandir

Mithrandir Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 1999
    I have to admit, Mike's report about the sound is a bit disheartening. For someone like me, the Galaxy is WAY OUT OF THE WAY. It's almost an hour drive. When I do go there, I go because I know the sound experience is worth the inconvience of the drive. But, I can't tell you how aggrivating and dissapointing it would be to go that distance and have that negative experience that Mike (DarthChocolate) had. I can't tell you how embarrasing it would be to take someone there for the first time after I spent all this time boasting about the sound experience only to have the sound be BELOW SUBPAR and the person would say, "I don't see what the big deal was.." Man, how humiliating. As a film enthusiast that would be tough. Case in point: My sister came in from out of town this weekend. And wants me to take her to see AOTC. My first choice was, of course, the Galaxy because it would blow her out her frikkin chair. But now....? I dunno anymore. In the past first time visitors would complain about the drive and I would just tell them that it will all be worth it in the end. Now what do I say if the sound sucks???!!!!!! Huh? It would be different if I was close to the Galaxy but I'm not. What to do, what to to do? What's a fanboy to do? :)

20. Firehawk-Jeff

Mar 8, 2002
    I agree with you Eric. The Galaxy is a LONG way out for me. It takes me about an hour and a half to get there. It's worth it though because of the experience.

I really appreciate Mike being there yesterday because I was thinking that my ears were playing tricks on me. :D

21. Darth_Chocolate

Mar 21, 2002
    I just wish that I had made someone (management wise) go into the auditorium with me until it had been fixed. This is one of the few problems that I have EVER had with the presentation at the Galaxy, but it was a big one. And although I am not quite as far from the Galaxy as you, Eric, it is still a pretty good drive (about 40 min). Then add the fact that the Legacy is only 10-15 min and offers DLP and sound that is better than most theaters now days (Galaxy being the exception).

Like I said in my last post, I will go back to the Galaxy for now. Mostly because this was a rare thing to happen, and I have seen MANY movies there since around the time that they opened. And you just can't beat that THX sound... when it's turned on!!! ;) But should a presentation like this ever happen again and definately should I be treated that way again, my visits to the Galaxy will become next to none.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.