main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Which message board system is your favorite?

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Design - Sites and Graphics' started by darth_nemisis, Aug 20, 2009.

?

Which message board system is your favorite?

Poll closed Aug 20, 2009.
  1. phpBB (1,2,3)

12.5%
  2. vBulletin

25.0%
  3. Invision Power Board

6.3%
  4. Invisionfree

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Zetaboards

6.3%
  6. Proboards

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. IGNBoards

43.8%
  8. Other (Please specify)

6.3%
  1. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    We all use them (obviously), and we all love them (maybe). So tell me, which of the numerous message board systems available to us do you most enjoy using. Take into account features from both user and administrative sides, visual appearances, etc.

2. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I found Zetaboards to be easy to use, yet had lots of good features at no cost.

3. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    vBulletin. I'm the Head Admin on a role-playing website hosted on vBulletin, so I have a lot of experience with it. This is compared to Invision and ProBoards, both of which the website used to be hosted on.

4. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    IGN, really. The thing I love most is the fact that you can't have stupid images in your signature. Clutter, gone! :D

5. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Dang, I forgot to say IGN boards. :oops: Oh well.

6. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    IGN, possibly because I'm so used to it over the years. Some of the others annoy me.

This. x10. Sig images are really annoying.

7. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    IGN, simply because it's so nice and sleek - I like that the message tables don't have any blank spaces in between, or fancy boxes or whatever. And I'm just so used to it.

phpBB would be my second choice.

8. Vidina

Vidina Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2006
    IGN and SMF(Simple Machine Forums) are my favorites. I did enjoy BB, but after my old site didn't install BB3 without a hassle, I switched to SMF. Lot of handy features and layout options available from the get-go, and it's all for free.

Vbulletin isn't bad, but it isn't free either.

9. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    Signature images have their uses on certain websites, such as role-playing websites. It's good to be able to have a signature image for your character, and you can even use the signature as a link to the character's profile. It makes the role-playing a bit less boring, IMO.

10. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Signature images do get annoying, and can detract from the overall appearance of the site.

11. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    Not if you regulate how large they can be. On IGN it would look horrible just based on the layout, but on other systems, such as vBulletin, they do work, particularly when used for role-playing. If a vBulletin website lacked signature images, it'd be rather boring.

12. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    I wasn't referring to vBulletin; I was a member on a few sites using other message board systems, and the signature spots were clogged with images.

13. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    Hey, RPing doesn't need fancy images. :p In fact, having gotten so used to playing here where there aren't any, I find websites that make heavy use of icons/sig images to represent characters a bit jarring, especially when they just plaster celebrity faces there and call it a day.

14. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    I absolutely love vBulletin for the features and customization options. It's a ton of fun to work on. :D

15. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    I'd vote vBulletin. I've been a regular of several sites that have used it over the years and it's been a pretty good mesage board system.

Going back to the sig-image discussion - all the vBulletin boards I've posted on allow for the user to disable sigs (and avatars, and even posted pics as well) so one doesn't have to see them if they wish. Like others I do tend to view sig-images as extra clutter but I found the ability to personally disable them preferable to just disallowing them outright. :)

16. Salty

Salty Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 24, 1998
    I'm a big fan of phpBB and have been since 2002 when their 2.0.x line released. I think the 3.0.x is a nice step forward in terms of features and looks but it's a pain in the butt to modify now.

I like IGNboards too but it could stand a UI update.

17. Lord Tuvitor

Lord Tuvitor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 27, 2003
    Does anyone still use Discoboards? :p

18. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    [face_laugh]

Not likely.

19. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    Hahaa... what about EZBoards? Does anyone even remember those? :p

20. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    The first BYS and Dark Lords sites back in 02 were EZBoards. They weren't that bad until the ads started. Man, that was annoying as heck.

21. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    Oh man, yeah. Happily the board I posted on was on EZBoard Gold ... or whatever their paid membership was, I've long forgotten ... so we didn't see the ads. But the moment our subscription lapsed, bam. Ads. Ugh.

Those were the days of actually paying for ad-free stuff. Now you'd just tell everyone to use Adblock. :p

22. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    [face_laugh]

Exactly. To me, ads are the most annoying things on the web right now. EZBoards was brutal once your free trial ran out.

23. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 1, 2006
    vBulletin without a doubt. I was a big IGN boards fan (love simplicity) until I found VB.

Honestly, any forum is better than a Yahoo group. :p

24. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    [face_laugh]

I've heard a lot of good things about vB. I use it over at the LOTRO official forums. I like the inline editing of posts.

25. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    FYI guys, IGN boards have an all-new interface: http://boards.ign.com

(No, we will not be changing to IGN's new interface. It was a custom scheme done just for their site.)