main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Whips are dangerous. Oh yes they are.

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Everton, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    CGI whip?

Harrison Ford may, or may not, have threatened to quit the movie because 'safety regulations' might force the production to use a CGI whip - citing the real thing to be too dangerous.

Now this is either a delightful bit of nonsense, or, if true, is easily enough to make my blood boil. Not Ford's threatened walkout, but safety regulations sticking their nose in where nobody wants them to. [face_plain]

So please, giggle or steam indignation... whichever takes your fancy.

2. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    Please. So, the movie industry can deploy real tanks and machine guns, explosions and stunts, all of which are in close proximity to cast and crew, but they can't have a trained professional use a whip? This is internet BS at its finest.

3. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
  4. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    Sounds fake to me.

5. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Trouble is, and I do hope and think it's nonsense don't get me wrong, that there's enough of a seed of truth at the heart of it (health and safety going ballistic) that makes one worry, even just a little bit. All the best nonsense has its basis in reality.

6. Ludo_Kressh

Ludo_Kressh Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2005
    Yeah, sounds fake to me as well, yet I wouldn't put it past Lucas.:p I mean come on, whips are meant to be dangerous..o_O

7. Axle-Starweilder

Axle-Starweilder Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 6, 2005
    if i were indy, i'd pull out too.
    cgi whip indeed.

8. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    I'm not sure, but someone may have tracked this down to a source and found out it's just a bit of gossip. If it is, then it's a shame that so many online news sources are jumping on it and putting it out there. They all keep crediting sources that aren't the original source of the story, so how are they to know? Honestly. The state of the news media in this day, especially in entertainment, is atrocious. I have a custom news search on my homepage trolling for Indy 4 news stories, and all I see right now are this whip thing.

9. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Who writes this crap?

10. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Over on the Raven someone found out that the original story was written by some two-bit Hollywood gossip site that also happens to sell advertising sapce to celebrity skin videos.

Hooray for journalistic integrity.

11. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Entertainment Weekly.com? [face_mischief]

12. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    Try aintitcoolnews.

13. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

Interesting that this piece of fluff mentions nothing about the SPECIFIC
    safety regulation that would prevent him from using a whip. Like who made
    the rule and how it would apply to all filmmaking everywhere in the world.

The story is a ridiculous piece of fiction, but the amount of free publicity
    it's going to give the movie is going to be STAGGERING.

14. The Bigger Fish

The Bigger Fish Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    Nah. This is one of those "fuzzy footage" rumours. Someone's testing the waters.

15. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Someone who is playing on the fact that health and safety is becoming a joke thesedays, and knows full well people will worry that health and safety B* could have an impact.

I keep saying, this has spread because it's not completely out of the question.

16. Ludo_Kressh

Jun 30, 2005
    Yeah, but it still would be disappointing...hopefully, there's not a grain of truth to it.

17. Son-Of-Suns

Son-Of-Suns Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2000
    Didn't Harrison Ford take quite a beating in "Firewall," and was quoted to love every minute of it?

18. Ludo_Kressh

Jun 30, 2005
    Yeah, he always did a lot of his own stunts in other movies as well and seemed to bear it pretty well so I don't see anything happening different here.

19. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I agree. I could see where a regulation like this could have come from The Passion of The Christ. During the filming of the scene where Christ is scrouged by the Romans, Jim Cavezel was accidentally struck with one of the whips. It left a 14 inch cut in his back and he said later that it was most painful thing he'd ever experienced.

20. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I'm very bored with actors who want to do their own stunts because they think it's more macho. Grow up already. :p

21. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Doing that stuff is seriously fun.

22. GreytaleNovastar1138

GreytaleNovastar1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2005
    Whips are indeed dangerous. The reason they "crack" is that they break the sound barrier. Some people erroneously believe it is the "leather" hitting itself or whatever. Nonsense. Look it up. :)

However, I'm sure there could be the following for any "whip" stuff:

1. Illusion. Gee, remember when movies convinced you that things were happening by shot placement, cut scenes and all that?

2. Safety. This is present in almost any movie to date, although NO everyone is not perfect, and NO you can't predict every single thing.

3. CGI. Yes indeed, for more flashy stuff, why don't they CGI in a few things where Indy is jumping from X to Y and whipping like mad? I just hope they don't make him like Yoda or something--ALL cgi! heheheh

Although that Yoda was pretty dope...

23. LordSilvertouch

LordSilvertouch Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2003
    There's something about Star Wars that lends itself to CGI
    There's something about Indiana Jones that doesn't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.