main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT who could have defeated/overthrown palpatine?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by jnrssa, Feb 7, 2013.

1. jnrssa

jnrssa Jedi Padawan

Jan 29, 2013
    what 2 man team could have defeated emperor palpatine in a fight? I was thinking maybe dooku & maul and yoda & mace windu, any others?

2. TheRevanchist

TheRevanchist Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 13, 2012
    Yoda and Windu,
    Yoda and Dooku,
    Windu and Dooku,
    Yoda and in form Anakin,
    Windu and in form Anakin,
    Dooku and in form Anakin,
    Galen Marek and Windu,
    Galen Marek and Yoda,
    Galen Marek and Dooku,
    Depa Billaba and Windu and possibly
    Kenobi with Windu/Yoda

Grievousdude likes this.
  3. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    You don't need a team. Mace Windu was more than enough to put Darth Sidious on his ass and push him to beg Anakin for help.

Had Anakin not intervened, Mace Windu would have ended the menace of the Sith forever in the Chancellor's Office.

4. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    Mace Windu

it's in a film called ROTS ;)

5. Eternity85

Eternity85 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008
    No, Mace could beat Palpatine, he could not have defeated Sidious. Sidious played him, all the signs are there. Right after Anakin cut his arm of, suddenly Sidious was not so tired anymore; he just exploded with energy.

But Anakin and Mace would have defeated him togheter I think.

6. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    Sidious played Mace AFTER Anakin entered the scene,

not before,

look Sidious is my fave character and before the DVD I would argue the same thing, Sidious was playing Mace the entire time

but Lucas diagreeed with me,

and until he says otherwise I have to accept it is what it is

Also I don't get the analogy of Sidious and Palps being two seperate powers

Chewbacca89, SithStarSlayer and ILNP like this.
  7. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Wait, are you saying that Mace was genuinely able to defeat him?

8. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    according to Lucas, then yep

9. Eternity85

Jan 24, 2008
    I don't know, I don't really thinks so. I agree that Lucas said something like that, but what I was refering to was how Sidious feigned weakness, that he was without more power, but when he got his wish with Anakins turn, then he certainly had more POWER (!) as we could all see.

10. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I don't buy it. Mace could do it, but Yoda, a more powerful Jedi, could not.

That's about as plausible as the light side being a good thing.

Sitara likes this.
  11. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    Yoda disarmed Palps of his saber,

Palps managed to gain enough distance to use his surroundings to his advantage,

Anakin:

"wise as master Yoda"

"powerful as master windu"

not that Yoda wasn't great with a saber, but nowhere does it state he's the best with one

CaptainRex115 and ILNP like this.
  12. Eternity85

Jan 24, 2008
    When Sidious blasted Mace with lightning the first time, he suddenly quits and says, "im to weak, ohh, im to weak". No way; if Anakin had not arrived, then Sidious would never have given up that easily; he would have fought Mace like the devil he is and eventually killed him.

Ananta Chetan and Sitara like this.
  13. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    If you open this question up to the expanded universe you'll get a lot more and even better answers :)

14. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    Yoda, Mace and Anakin could have defeated Sidious. Then again, Palpatine could have defeated any of them. I suspect there would have been a great deal of difficulty regardless of whether the combatants were Jedi or Sith.

15. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Could? Could is a very open word, as long as there is a greater than zero chance, then it could happen.

Even if Sidious did throw the fight against Mace, Mace still had a lightsaber about a centimeter from Sidious' throat, one quick thrust (instead of a slow-mo wind up) could have ended Sidious.

Really, almost anybody could defeat Sidious. Some dude could walk up behind him, draw a blaster and shoot him in the back. Or, some strong dude could snatch him up by the back and toss him down a reactor shaft.

I know I'm being a bit too literal here, but the question asked "could", and I think the list is vast.

Sidious is obviously very powerful, but also obviously not nearly invincible.

Sitara and Chainmail_Jedi like this.
  16. Darth Georgia

Darth Georgia Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    Given his recent performance on The Clone Wars I just cannot see Sidious losing that fight against Mace. Its obvious he was faking being helpless. He can throw Senate pods like they are NOTHING why couldn't he have lifted the office furniture knocking Windu out the window? I think what it really boils down to is Sam Jackson told Lucas he didn't want to "go out like a punk" so Lucas says Windu won BUT its obvious given Sidious's performance that he is faking for Anakin. Mace has never shown he can catch lightning in his hands the way Yoda does. Yoda just seems more powerful in the force and more like the Emperor's equal yet even Yoda loses. Now if Yoda and Mace went together of course Sidious would lose but its likely he would find a way to survive ie escape and call his stormtroopers.

Ananta Chetan likes this.
  17. smuggler_vola

smuggler_vola Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 13, 2012
    Me and myself. Give me a lightsaber and I'll take him no problem!

Or, if you base it on the fact that I hit myself in the head swinging around my toy lightsaber, I'd probably cut off my arm on accident.

18. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

The problem is that too many fans seemed to think he is.

19. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011
    Me and my HAT.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  20. Lumiyas_Head

Lumiyas_Head Jedi Master star 2

Jul 10, 2007
    Just because George says it....doesn't "make it so" no matter if he created the Star Wars universe. He's always seemed the type to throw in material at the drop of a hat without truly thinking of its consequences. Lets take Darth Maul's survival for example in that regard...yes, he created the universe we all know and love but George has become the crotchety old man screaming at the clouds wanting someone to listen....they only do because he signs the checks. That's it.
    The fact of the matter is why show Palpatine reaching out to Anakin in the Jedi Temple if he's not attempting to get him to intervene in the upcoming fight that he knows is coming? How would it look if Anakin rushed into save the Chancellor and he's already got four dead Jedi at his feet? Anakin was clearly emotionally troubled. We needed a catalyst to finally turn him against the Jedi. Arriving to see a guardian of peace and justice with a sword at the throat of the Chancellor was it. Palpatine could have wiped the floor with all of them but needed to fail to gain the advantage. Which is exactly what happened. Sidious needed Anakin to make the CHOICE to fall and he needed a convincing environment to make that happen. Anakin already felt remorseful for how he killed Dooku and attempts to amend that mistake with Windu....but his hand his forced and then Windu's hand is forced off. And again, Palpatine's sudden and miraculous 5 hour energy boost after he's "too weak" is telling as well. I mean come on, even the lightning SOUNDS more powerful this time around.
    But to the original poster...only Anakin because that's who did. Not counting any EU or Reborn Emperor.
    *Steps off soapbox and awaits for thread derailment*

VanishingReality and eht13 like this.
  21. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    No one is arguing that "too weak" was not inaccurate. But that does not mean Palpatine necessarily also threw the lightsaber fight. Palpatine even said that Mace was there sooner than expected.

22. Lumiyas_Head

Jul 10, 2007
    Somehow Arawn_Fenn I knew it would be you who responded first ;)
    My point being there's more evidence to suggest there was a calculated plan to finally lure Anakin completely. Winning the duel legitimately would not have played in Palpatine's favor (since he's spent the entire movie undermining the Jedi in Anakin's eyes). He needed THEM to be the bad guys. Throwing the duel and appearing as the victim of some Jedi coup plays right into what he's been whispering in anakin's ear the whole time.
    He may have gotten there sooner than expected but clearly Sidious was ready for that too.

Ananta Chetan and eht13 like this.
  23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Robocop and the Terminator would have defeated him.

In-universe though, ain't nobody got time for that.

24. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    If we're talking about what Lucas was thinking: in the original version of the scene, Anakin had already turned. This might be less about Lucas not thinking of consequences and more about you not finding his choice palatable.

25. Lumiyas_Head

Jul 10, 2007
    Well good thing we don't have to worry about the original way it was supposed to be....Just what's on screen
    And I'd rather you not make assumptions on what I feel is palatable.
    I have my opinion and you have yours. No need for further debate.