main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Who Doesn't Hate Jar Jar anymore?..

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by lightsaver, Jan 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lightsaver

lightsaver Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 8, 2005
    Well, since AOTC had come out on DVD, I hadn't been back to watch TPM for a long time. So I decided, out of boredom (but originally in 99 i was blown away by this movie) that I would watch it to see if it had grown on me anymore. It entirely had.

Back in 99 I found Jar Jar kind of annoying, then I just hated him. but now...after watching it 2 years later I have to say, Jar Jar honestly made me laugh. Especially the following scene.

Qui-Gon: Relax, we're not in trouble yet.

Jar Jar: What yet? Monsters out dare, leakin in here. All sinkin' and no power? WHENA yousa TINKIN wesa in trouble?

your thoughts please...

2. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Just like TPM, the feeling has gone from love to hate to love to hate and finally back to love. Most people I talk to can't even watch the film let alone Jar-Jar's screentime. He's pretty good now that I'm looking back on the film.

3. obi1jedinite

obi1jedinite Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 20, 2002
    i too went from love to hate, and then finally to acceptance, because i loved aotc (and still do)

as for jar jar, i never hated him, at least he was full of life. jake lloyd however.....

4. SkottASkywalker

SkottASkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    I enjoy Jar Jar Binks and always have. :cool:

5. lightsaver

Jan 8, 2005
    i too went from love to hate, and then finally to acceptance, because i loved aotc (and still do)

as for jar jar, i never hated him, at least he was full of life. jake lloyd however.....

have to agree with you there...though, as much as I love Ewan as Obi-Wan, he seemed worse in Ep. I than anything I've seen him in.

SORRY EWAN!!

6. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    I never hated him in TPM and thought he was great, but does anyone think he sticks out like a sore thumb in AOTC?

7. SHAUN-FOREVER

SHAUN-FOREVER Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 26, 2004
    I think he is a terrible character, I do not find him funny at all.

8. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    I never had a problem with Jar Jar. I'm not passionate about him, but I always liked him. I sympathize with him, to a degree. All he wanted to do is help people, but he always got dealt the raw hand in the process.

9. Kill_Off_Jar_Jar

Kill_Off_Jar_Jar Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 7, 2005
    From the first time he uttered "ex-squeeze-me" I really had a hard time watching TPM. Plus, Lucas gave him SO MUCH screentime it was as if Lucas was constantly thinking, "Hmm, the audience is going to be wondering what Jar Jar is doing now..." The radical dropoff in screentime in AOTC was much appreciated but, to me, only confirms that his omnipresence in TPM was a horribly misguided decision.

I will always hate Jar Jar on some level, but I can basically tune him out now in TPM...and focus on Jake Lloyd's shortcomings. In retrospect, that casting decision had a bigger negative impact on the movie overall. At least Jar Jar gave a performance.

The lowpoint in TPM may be when young Anakin is unable to even fold his arms smoothly. Cut and print!

10. Obi-Wan's Apparition

Obi-Wan's Apparition Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 10, 2000
    I've never hated Jar Jar. :D

11. lightsaver

Jan 8, 2005
    wow, you really didn't like Lloyd, didja? lol

(i'm surprised this thread is doing so well, must've picked a good topic)

12. colivo

colivo Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 25, 2004
    Give Jake Lloyd a break, he is a kid! How many Haley Joel Osmonds are there out there? As for Jar Jar, he has never been funny to me, and has way too much screen time in the first hour of the movie. If his humor was integrated in the story, than at least he would be worth something, but it is utter comic relief that went wrong. I love Lucas, and I still will watch TPM, and all the movies, countless times in my life, but he miscalculated Jar Jar Binks appeal big time.

13. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    I think Haley Joel Osment stinks. I'm sick of people holding him up as the greatest child actor ever. He's awful.

Jake wasn't brilliant or anything, but he got the job done.

On-topic: I never hated Jar Jar. I think the Jar Jar hate was blown way out of proportion.

14. lightsaver

Jan 8, 2005
    Jake did get the job done..but was I the only one who always has to fast forward through the auditions of young anakin on the 2nd TPM disc?

on topic: i will agree that jar jar is used far too much, and that george should've toned down his role. but i will also agree that the hate of him was blown too far out of proportion, even if i'm slightly contradicting myself.

15. Avid_Prequels_Fan

Avid_Prequels_Fan Jedi Master star 2

Sep 14, 2003
    I thought Jake Lloyd did a great job and I've always loved Jar Jar Binks.

16. BothofUs

BothofUs Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 5, 2003
    I've always liked Jar Jar..

My favorite line was always...
    "This sun is doin murder on meesa skin." haha

17. obi1jedinite

obi1jedinite Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 20, 2002
    im sorry but jake lloyd just isnt that great. i understand hes young and didnt have the best dialogue to work with, but ive seen him in other things and hes really no better in those either. there are lots of talented child actors out there, but i dont think jake is (was) one of them.

18. jacemathem

jacemathem Jedi Master star 5

Oct 3, 2003
    Hating Jar Jar is so 1999. :rolleyes:

19. Hudnall

Hudnall Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 23, 2004
    Jar Jar ROX. He's one of the only personalities in that movie. I like him... it is naked 3P0 which annoys me.

20. Kill_Off_Jar_Jar

Jan 7, 2005
    Jake Lloyd just should never have been cast. From watching the auditions on the DVD extras, I can only assume that Lucas cast him because he had the look he wanted more than anything else. While I find his performance really lacking, he didn't have much to work with ("yippee!") and more than anything I just kind of feel sorry for him and can imagine that the criticism was very tough on him personally.

On topic: Agree that Jar Jar at least had a personality compared to the many rather flat characters in TPM.

21. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I never had a problem with Jar-Jar, or Jake Lloyd for that matter. In both cases, they did what they set out to do, and did it well.

22. MajorNerd

MajorNerd Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    i will always hate jar jar for the simple fact that he completely derailed a movie that had so much potential...he truly made me feel embarrassed to watch his lame attempts at humor fall flat...

23. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    Jake Lloyd just should never have been cast. From watching the auditions on the DVD extras, I can only assume that Lucas cast him because he had the look he wanted more than anything else.

Not really. There was another blonde, blue-eyed boy in the final three. Chris Gore, aka the Professional Basher Who Bashes Everything SW That Isn't ESB (and whom the media likes to hold up as representing all of SW fandom), gushed over the other blonde boy to an embarrassing extent, fawning over him like he was a mini-Laurence Olivier, saying he was so GOOD, he was so INTENSE (not really; he simply recited his lines as perfectly as he could, and seemed downright intimidated by Natalie), and he looked just like Mark Hamill!

So if Lucas was casting solely on the basis of looks, he'd have gone with the other blonde boy, and I doubt he'd have let the dark-haired boy into the finals.

Lucas chose Jake because he fit the part. He acted like a kid, not like a mini-adult. Yes, kids say "Yippee!" and other stuff that sounds goofy to grownups.

That is the way Lucas casts: by who best fits the part.

24. lightsaver

Jan 8, 2005
    very well put. I like the way you think, Shelley.

25. Kill_Off_Jar_Jar

Jan 7, 2005
    Obviously Lucas had a thought process for picking Jake Lloyd and some people agree with the decision. Personally, I would have cast the other blonde kid in a heartbeat given the three finalists, because he seemed like a better actor. I guess I would have liked to have seen Anakin be a little semi-adultish, but I think the other kid had the acting chops to play it less mature or more mature as needed. I just had a hard time believing Lloyd as the character -- a small child -- similar to the way Mariah Carey was unbelievable basically playing herself in Glitter.

To the extent that Lucas was trying to orient the movie towards very young children, then maybe Lloyd and Jar Jar are both choices consistent with that vision. That's the best I can say about either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.