main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who thinks Daala will show up in the NJO?(spoilers for Dark Journey and Rebel Dream)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Matthew Trias, Sep 5, 2001.

?

Who thinks Daala will show up in the NJO?(spoilers for Dark Journey and Rebel Dream)

Poll closed Mar 28, 2012.
  1. Yes, I think she'll show up and offer her assistance to the Rebellion.

25.9%
  2. No.By the Force I hope not.

74.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
  2. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    Well...there must be some reason they brought her out of retirement in The Essential Chronology. :)

3. AT-ST_DRIVER

AT-ST_DRIVER Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    i think she's a good tactican, ranking just below thrawn. You have to be if you're not a white male human if you wanna succeed in the empire. and since the imps are (or were) helping the NR i voted yes 'cuz i want the imps/Republic o win.

4. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    And when you vote yes or no ,could you please give your reasons why you voted the way you did?

It'll make for a more interesting thread.

Thank you. :)

5. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    Im indifferent. In one way, I would like her too, as she is the master tactition. However, I feel she would only get written in as a small part, not just for a former important Imp

6. JediSilverstar

JediSilverstar Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 30, 2001
    I'm really not liking the idea. Although it seems a sure deal by the cover art, we need to put the era of the Empire behind (no offense to Imp supporters) That part of the history of the galaxy is over. This is about the New Republic, the Vong and most importantly the Jedi... so no I don't think Daala should come back or any Imp for that matter

7. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    I think if there was ever an attempt by the rightful government of the galaxy to reclaim Coruscant - the jewel of the galaxy - from all interlopers and invaders, Daala would be a part of it. Maybe not as the leader, but certainly in the planning and on the front line command.

She is a tactical genius without peer - as equal to or better than the best male Imperial leaders. So, the question is why HAVEN'T WE SEEN HER IN THE NJO YET!?!

I seriously doubt she would just "give up" while all of this is going on.

8. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Grand Admiral Wettengel Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 10, 2000
    Imperials still reside in the galaxy. It isn't like they were all killed, so in order for this series to truly be portrayed as a galactic conflict, all major powers must be involved--Empire, Chiss, NR. Hapans, Hutts.

It would be nice to see Daala again. If she has taken some anger management courses, she could be every bit a tactician as Pellaeon and Thrawn.

9. obi-wannabe1

obi-wannabe1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    "i think she's a good tactican, ranking just below thrawn"

What are you talking about AT-ST DRIVER!? All I remember of Daala is her having one defeat after another. I don't remember any specifics but I do know that while reading books with Daala, I was always shocked at her horrible tactics and endless defeats.

If you want a semi-decent former Imp female commander, bring back Leonia Tavira!

Why does everyone think Daala is such a good tactician? And comparing her with Thrawn!? Shame.

10. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Jan 10, 2000
    Her tactics were good, but you have to remember how long she was stuck in the Maw for. She had no new avenues to persue for expanding her tactical thinking.

11. Gasgano_of_Earth

Gasgano_of_Earth Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 29, 2001
    master tactician? yeah, a brilliant plan trying to sneak a star destroyer in to crash on coruscant. lets just all forget that this was stupid and pointless and served no purpose. master tactician. bah.

12. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Daala is a master tactician in the exact same manner that Thrawn is. We are explicitly told these characters are master tacticians. Therefore, the fact that a reader who is a non-master-tactician does not understand the brilliance of these characters' tactics is meaningless.

Some could make the arguement that it is a poor literary crutch to use in the development of characters which only hack writers would utilize, but that's neither here nor there.

Daala is at least every bit the brilliant tactician that Thrawn is - and perhaps more. That is an official fact. Therefore, regardless of how stupid or contrived one thinks the tactics of such "brilliant tacticians" are, they are brilliant nonetheless because they simply are.

13. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    so, had the SD hit Coruscant, caused chaos for the NR, and given the Imps a helping hand, would it be a dumb strategy then?

14. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    Coeuscant had no shields.

Ram it into the planet at full speed...

Who was gonna stop it?It's intention wasn't to fight ,but to ram it.

Her plan would've worked if it wasn't for kyp.

15. Gasgano_of_Earth

Gasgano_of_Earth Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 29, 2001
    and your post was stupid simply because i said it was. and i am a master tactician just because i say i am.

i mean what are you even trying to say? if something dumb comes from a brilliant mind its brilliant? maybe Daala WAS a master tactician. that does not in anyway mean she was by the time she exited the maw cluster.

in response to genghis 12

16. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    Had the SD hit Coruscant and gone Nova,she would've been responsible for the destruction of the New Republic. :)

Remember,all it's leaders were on Coruscant.

17. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    If youre complaining we call Daala a master tacticion, then Thrawn wasnt either. I mean, both are only said in books, eh? :)

18. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Gasgano...
    "i mean what are you even trying to say?"

Your brilliance overwhelms me.

Daala is a brilliant tactician, regardless what a fan thinks, because she is officially a "brilliant tactician."

You don't decide which Star Wars characters are brilliant tacticians, LFL does. They decided Daala is one of them.

19. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Look People Pellaeon finally gets to be a Grand Admiral and were just going to replace him? No dammit Dalla had her chance! She can't come back.

20. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Jan 10, 2000
    Daala certainly should come back. The GFFA needs all the gifted tacticians it can get.

21. obi-wannabe1

obi-wannabe1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    If Daala's tactics worked (at least some of the time) then I might agree with you, but she never managed to accomplish anything for the Empire.

Thrawn almost never lost (till he was assassinated). He almost brought the NR to it's knees. How can you compare the two.

Sorry to say, Daala was a joke.

22. MaceWinducannotdie

MaceWinducannotdie Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 31, 2001
    I take great issue with putting Daala on par with Thrawn and here's why. Daala is too old-school with her "we will engage and crush the enemy right now" tactics because at the point of her introduction the Empire does not have the resources to safely traipse around the galaxy with a huge beatdown fleet. She does not seem to realize that the day of the neverending Imperial forces is past, so she goes through troops and ships at an alarming rate.

I do not favor putting Daala back in any storyline for that reason and the fact that she is a war criminal, so it'd be wrong to make her the "good guy", and I feel the NJO has a sufficient element of moral controversy to it.

23. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    Thrawn had all the Imps, clones, cloaked ships etc. Daala had 4 SDs

24. Corran9

Corran9 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2000
    I wasnt overly impressed by her Brilliance either. I think it would be a rather cheap move if she comes back and suddenly is slicker than Thrawn.

25. stevo

stevo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    Daala was a awesome commander, she had tatics, and was brilliant at adapting. She had 4 sd's and was realistic, with only that she couldn't start up her own empire. The only reason she failed was b/c Kevin J. Anderson can't let her blow up Coruscant with the whole solo family there(or were they at the acadmy then?) Remember how she was like the only person who tried to ban the warlords together? Then killed them all off and claimed their ships? She's also got the looks. If you ask me, bad luck follows her around

But, Daala is like Qui, she's sworn off being a military commander, didn't she start off some community on a planet? Sort of like Qui and the Vors. Is that stretching it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.