main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who thinks Daala will show up in the NJO?(spoilers for Dark Journey and Rebel Dream)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Matthew Trias, Sep 5, 2001.

?

Who thinks Daala will show up in the NJO?(spoilers for Dark Journey and Rebel Dream)

Poll closed Mar 28, 2012.
  1. Yes, I think she'll show up and offer her assistance to the Rebellion.

25.9%
  2. No.By the Force I hope not.

74.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    No. Whats the point?

2. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    They'll need some military expertise.She could provide that.

Plkus it would tie up some lose ends.

3. MaceWinducannotdie

MaceWinducannotdie Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 31, 2001
    While the Coruscant thing was not a bad idea and she is to be credited with rallying the Imperial fleet I still feel Thrawn is far superior.

1) Thrawn achieved a higher rank, could that mean that *gasp*, he's more qualified than the ungodly number of officers to only attain the title "Admiral." I further submit that he, as a non-human, would be at a greater disadvantage to advance in rank than a human female (keep in mind that the empire never enslaved the female masses).

2) Thrawn never lost his flagship. Daala lost 2 (one destroyed, and an SSD at that, one left merely salvageable).

3) Thrawn managed his resources better. Yes, I know Daala only had 4 Star Destroyers to start with, but I somehow see Thrawn not losing them all in such short amounts of time, expecially if that's all he had to work with. The Rebels were able to keep going on extremely limited resources.

4) Thrawn understands restraint. He observes a battle coolly and makes sound judgment. Daala gets angry and makes foolhardy mistakes.

4. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Grand Admiral Wettengel Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 10, 2000
    Her anger is her undoing. If she can't keep her temper in check during combat situations, she will ocntinue to make stupid decisions which are simply designed to 'do something' in the heat of the moment.

5. obi-wannabe1

obi-wannabe1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    Well said, MaceWinducannotdie!

Daala may have had good intentions, but her temper was her undoing.

Thrawn would never have made the stupid decisions she does.

6. KansasNavy

KansasNavy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    It says the Daala was master of psycological blows in EC. So she is different in way-of-thinking than Thrawn. To compare them 2 would be difficult, since both were in different circumstances. Who knows how good Daala could've been if she wasn't guarding the Maw for 10 or so years.

She was the one who rallied the warlords and reunited a dyeinng Empire, giving new life to them.

I do like your idea, Matt. She helped the Rebels in the Battle of Nam Chorios. I wouldn't understand why not help them again. But I wouldn't like to see her replace Pellaeon. Pellaeon is my favorite Imperial (not necisarily the best, but most moral). Daala didn't entirely fail at Yavin IV. She had the right idea. Remember, she sent all of those VSDs to harass other worlds to draw off NR forces.

But like said earlier; bad luck follows her everywhere.

7. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Oh I don't mean for her to replace Pellaeon.I didn't even mean for her to rejoin the Empire.

I think she'll become a full blown Rebel.It would suit her more.

8. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Grand Admiral Wettengel Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 10, 2000
    But really even Pellaeon and the Empire would be rebels. Rebels fighting against what will apparantly be the new main galactic power: the Vong.

9. Gasgano_of_Earth

Gasgano_of_Earth Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 29, 2001
    Daala is a brilliant tactician because LFL says so. Christ, don't people even think before they post. I'd look at the facts, not what is said. This shall be my last post in this forum. its stupidity is overwhelming. EU is fun. EU nazis make it not fun. that is all.

10. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    oh, were Nazis because we listen to what the books say. Rrrright

11. obi-wannabe1

Jun 11, 2001
    Nazis burn books.

12. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Corran9...
    "I think it would be a rather cheap move if she comes back and suddenly is slicker than Thrawn."

But, since Thrawn is a walking, talking cheap move himself. So as far as cheap moves go, that's not saying much.

Besides, technically, she always was as slick or slicker than Thrawn to begin with, so it wouldn't be any big stretch.

13. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Will the real Admiral Daala please stand up?
    "As a young woman, Daala had attended the Imperial Academy on Carida, one of the most grueling of training grounds for military service. She was an excellent strategist, a fierce combatant, and excelled in every curriculum. Still, despite her outstanding talents, sexism gripped the Empire, supported wholly by Emperor Palpatine...Several of the radical ideas caught the eye of Moff Tarkin, who traveled to Carida to find this brilliant tactician."
    (Essential Guide to Characters, p. 36)

Daala's traits:
    Excellent Strategist
    Brilliant Tactician
    Fierce Combatant
    Excelled in Imperial Military Curriculum
    Has Outstanding Talents

However, like any good characters, she was afflicted with a rather believeable achilles heel of a personality trait as well - one which GAW has already pointed out.

She most likely would have been owning Thrawn were it not for Palpatine's love of blue-skinned alien Imperial Military leaders. Unfortunately, to Daala's discredit, Palpatine had a very narrowly focused affirmative-action policy for red-haired women. Most likely, Daala didn't want to be his Emperor's Hand, nor was she a clone of Shira Brie - so, her choices were rather limited. It was off to the Maw for her. :D

14. obi-wannabe1

Jun 11, 2001
    "She most likely would have been owning Thrawn"

*gasp* I can't beleive you said that.

*shakes head sadly* That's so wrong it's not even funny.

15. Jarik

Jarik Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 21, 2000
    Daala was a good tacticion. Obviously she had to be. She ws good in all those games and stuff. But hell I wouldn't want her to lead my forces. Why? Cause she ALWAYS managed to lose no matter what.

I'd much rather have Thrawn, Solo, Garm Bel, Ackbar, lots of other people. Cause they have a knack for pulling out wins in bad situations whereas Daala has a knack for losing in situations where she can't possibly lose.

16. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Yeah, but Jarik, the same can be said of Thrawn. He had a knack for losing when it counted the most. Between Thrawn and Daala, each stepped up to face the Heroes of Yavin and only one of the two survived. The fact is, while Ackbar, Iblis, et. al. may be around to fight against the Vong, Thrawn is not.

That's one thing Daala has over her tactical genius peer. She was smart enough to stay alive.

Remember, in Star Wars, the bad guys (and girls) lose. Therefore, Daala is predestined to lose automatically in her role as a villain, just as Thrawn, Palpatine, etc. were all predestined to lose.

17. Jarik

Jun 21, 2000
    True but all the others at least won some battles and the NR could've killed Daala, but they let her go.

Thrawn may have lost that last battle, but he still won many battles recaptured over half the Empire. And he only lost cause he was assasinated. He may have won otherwise anyway. And yes I know that doesn't matter, but I would still rather have those other guys over Daala and many too.

And I know Thrawn's dead so the point is moot anyway.

18. JWK

JWK Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2000
    If it's well writen then include her. If its not leave her out. But unfortunitly well writen is in the Eye of the Beholder. So we'll only be able to judge and see what happens.

I'm giving 100 to 1 odds agaist her showing though.

19. Jarik

Jun 21, 2000
    I want some of that. 10 American dollars on her getting in.
    Comeon Delrey.

Somebody bet the long shot.

20. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    I'm with you Jarik. She's certainly a logical choice to appear when her galaxy is crumbling to pieces around her.

21. Jarik

Jun 21, 2000
    I sure hope so. I'll be up a thousand bucks and I sure could use it.

Let's go Delrey! Yeah!!!!

22. Waning Drill

Waning Drill Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 30, 1999
    Maybe her reappearance would inspire ornery, ill-tempered redheads everywhere (Mirith Sinn, Lumiya) to rise up against the Vong occupation.....?

23. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    Let's not forget about Darksaber ! Daala unites the Empire in that book. Why always refer to her in JAT ? Okay, she lost, but it was pure unluck. Not a lack of tactics. How could she possibly know that Jedi where capable of repulsing a whole starfleet with the Force ??? Hey, I bet even Thrawn wouldn't have guessed !

24. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Okay let's be blunt.

Admiral Daala as illustrated looks like Claudia Christian from Babylon Five.

Claudia Christian is pretty,

let's move past this shall we.

Admiral Dolla (mispronunciation deliberate) would be an interesting character to bring back but let's be perfectly blunt....

THE WOMAN IS A FREAKING SOCIOPATH.

Leonia Tavira the omnisexual is a character I'd rather not see and yes I'd prefer Admiral Daala to her butttttt....

Admiral Daala is guilty of....

* Butchering the Corellian Corvette Crew she raided for supplies after surrender....

Admittadly keeping a secret is a priority but she couldn't have been thinking of keeping themselevs a secret LONG now could she?

* Murdering a colony of 100 unarmed colonists whose only crime was to be republican citazens...ANY record or sensor will tell you that.

She's insane if she thought otherwise

* Blowing up Floamwander City and God knows how many others in a heinous attack on a world's civilians in an attempt to knock out a already badly damaged civilization.

Another mass murder.

* The ATTEMPTED genocide of potentially 200 BILLION galatic citazens, a mass murder more than 40 TIMES as many as Tarkin killed on alderaan.

The seat of Galactic culture perishing because she wanted to win a war that she wasn't even fighting to win!

* Her attack on the unarmed homeworld of Khomein's artistic and intellectual districts echoes also her Nazi mentality.

* Again the attack on a school of religeous adepts with no real defense with an SSD.

Using ground weapons when she could have annhilated it from orbit....the only justifaction for that is to increase the fear of people before you kill them.

The woman is EVIL.

Aside from being Kyp Duroun's mistress (and we know how likely that is because she ordered a 17 year old slave TORTURED for wandering in) I can see no use for Daala but to prove another murderous psycho for the Vong to ally with.

She has no code of honor but Tarkins and that is a mere reflection of palpatines.

Pelleon should be ashamed of himself and it disgusts me he allied with her.

25. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    Hum... Right... Did not thought about her tendencies... But she's nevertheless a fine strategist... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.