main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

who's your favourite composer and why?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by irishfan, Jan 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. irishfan

irishfan Jedi Youngling

Jun 28, 2003
    I suppose it's impossible to say one composer is better than the other, as you are comparing different styles etc.., but to me it's a close run thing between John Williams and Jerry Goldsmith.

The first time I left a cinema humming a theme tune was Star Wars in 1977, which was quickly followed by Close Encounters and Superman, so Williams quickly became the yardstick by which all were measured.

In 1979, I was hooked on the theme tune for Star Trek the Motion Picture, which did a lot to salvage a fairly ropey movie, thus making me aware of Goldsmith's talents.

If I was to judge which of the two has been the most consistant in composing the most memorable and unpredictable scores over the years, then I think Goldsmith just about shades it, eg Planet of the Apes in 1968 until Star Trek Nemesis in 2002, which are testiments of his ability to stay on top of his game right up until his sad passing recently.

However, Williams' golden years, which I view as been from Jaws in 1975, until Jurassic Park in 1993 (I think), saw him produce the best individual scores of all time eg Star Wars, Superman, Indiana Jones, Close Encounters & ET.

I think it's fair to say that Williams' most recent scores, while being better than most others, definately do not reach the same heights as they used to. That said I suppose I'm complaining that every Williams score is not a masterpiece each time, as they were in the '70's & '80's.

So there's my nomination and why, let the debate begin...

2. Jedi-Washington

Jedi-Washington Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2003
    Humm...Well, his music will be long remembered. I can't expect a masterpeice out of a composer time after time. These days I find scores of his much more charming than his companions. there is more of an innocent quality to his scores and there always has been. It's just pure joy and emotion. No modern junk thrown in or wierd experimentation. I have to say that he is my favorite composer since I've gotten more out of my understanding of music from him than anyone else.

My favorite composers over-all are Debussey, Stravinsky, and Tchaikovsky. But were I forced to be only in the film/musical/programatic modern music department, I would say Williams and oddly enough George Gershwin are some of the best composers. I think it comes from their jazz abilites and mixing them with classical music. They both are catchy, contain rich harmony, and in general have that big sound that I love. Gershwin didn't quite make it long enough to do too many things for the silver screen, but had he the opportunity to do more scores, they certainly would be very good also.

It's impossible to play favorites in the music world though. Differen't people have strengths. It's one carrer where truely you can't be anywhere close to perfect.

~JW

3. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    In terms of film composers, Williams really is incredible. He's not flawless, but the sheer volume of great scores he has done elevates him above the rest. Bernard Herrman has got to be a close runner up, though. I'm really interested in keeping an eye on Patrick Doyle and Dario Marianelli as well, in terms of up and coming composers.

If we are talking about Classical composers, though, Shostakovich wins hands down for me.

4. Seperatist

Seperatist Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2005
    I've got some; John Williams, Danny Elfman and Jerry Goldsmith.
    Williams, I fell in love with his music ever since I first saw E.T.
    Elfman, superb sometimes chaotic music always cheers me up.
    Goldsmith, feel-good music and very creative loved his music since I heard the Gremlin Rag for the first time.

-S-

5. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    My favorite composer of all time has to be Howard Shore, I'm totally in love with the music from Lord of the Rings. John WIlliams is amazing too, but nothing speaks to me like Howard Shore's music.

6. Indiana_Fett

Indiana_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2004
    Williams has been on my mind since I was 5, same goes for Elfman. They have always managed to make up a soundtrack for my childhood, if you will.

7. darthlrrp

darthlrrp Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 19, 2005
    i like gesualdo, bach, chopin, satie, wagner, and crumb--in no particular order

8. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    John Williams, then Danny Elfman and Gerry Goldsmith.

I haven't heard much of Goldsmith's work, but he makes it on my list just for The Omen Trilogy. I also loved The Mummy and The Ghost and the Darkness, a score which I haven't seen discussed anywhere, for some reason.

9. masteroftheforce20

masteroftheforce20 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 19, 2005
    Definitely John Williams. He's the master.

10. the-shrude-dude

the-shrude-dude Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 4, 2005
    Holst, Smedner, Williams (a hh yes our fave film boy), and Don Davis deserves a bold mention.

11. shwanzi

shwanzi Jedi Youngling star 3

May 25, 2002
    Hans Zimmer. I love his soundtracks due to the fact that they are usually very fast paced and exciting and pretty complex. I love the way he comes up with a theme that at first sounds very simple then blossoms into something bombastic (see Black Hawk Down).

Other favorable mentions are Jerry Goldsmith, old school James Horner (pre-Titanic), Elliot Goldenthal (the Alien 3 and Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within soundtracks are totally underrated) and Wojciech Kilar (The Ninth Gate soundtrack is amazing).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.