main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Why all the EU Hatred?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by JediMJS, Nov 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    The politics in the Thrawn trilogy are pretty different, IMO. They're alot simpler and basically deal with Tool Borsk vs. Ackbar.

2. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    It's the difference in presentation... We've actually explained what the factions are, why Borsk Fey'lya is a bastard, and so forth. Politics is fine, done correctly... showing a procedural vote for no confidence isn't dramatic though (and that was the most dramatic part of the politics in TPM).

All we're told in TPM is that the Chancellor is weak, and that Senator Palpatine thinks he needs removed, he gets removed and well... nothing changes. In AoTC the politics of the military creation act and the separatist movement is never really explained either... *sigh*

In Heir the situation is rather simple, Borsk wants more power (specifically over the military) and that's basically it... he undermines Ackbar, a person we know from RoTJ as a hero and instantly becomes someone we don't want to see succeed.

EUdiscoverer1136 likes this.
  3. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Politics is an essential part of the backdrop to a Galactic-scale saga, and I have never thought that there was too much of it in the Prequels. What I did find 'politics-heavy' was Darth Plagueis -- but much of that is dealing with propelling a Sith Lord (Sidious) into the Supreme Chancelorship, so it's essential to that plot. But when recommending a book to someone, I do tend to mention that factor, just in case they are looking for a straight action-adventure novel and end up dissappointed.

Hope you enjoy HttE, and the others!

4. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Was Corran's grandfather tossed out of hte order for having a family?

The Jedi are an order that can't get married, having Horn's grandfather being married because Corn just has to have a Jedi legacy is out of step with the continuity. SUre he can't move things with the force that well, but he has a "powerful affinity for mind tricks, implanting thoughts, sensations, and images in others, and a great skill in the absorption of energy special" so he loses one ability and in return is great at 4 others and has this super special one that not even Luke has (oh, and that unqiue power he has can be used to preform the one he doesn't have)....... he has the special lightsaber (in ability and colour) and he jus thappens to be one of the best fighters with a lightsaber around, he just happens to be one of the best pilot out there as well etc.... He always picks the right side, does the right thing etc....

He ticks all the boxs. Hes is a mary-sue. I learned the term while reading the X-Wing books because I started to not like Corran Horn and I found that term which described why. You can like him as much you want too, I'm not judging you for liking him, I just find those characters boring and uninteresting.

MiraxTerrik likes this.
  5. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Exactly. I'm not slamming the entirety of the EU, and I have read some of the novels (listed in earlier posts), but I can tell from an online summary or the back cover of a book whether I would want to read the whole book or not.

6. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    This is a really good question. I can;t speak for everyone. I actually did not personally mind the politics in the prequel trilogy. My educated guess though would be that some felt the presentation of politics in the PT was done in a weak fashion. It felt a bit choppy and people wanted its focus to be channeled properly. At times I think people felt politics was played up, but never carried out to its full ability. Another point to realize is that deniers of PT and lover of politics in Thrawn Trilogy are not necessarily the same people. I think you observation and question from it are fair, and should be pointed out though.

7. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Was Corran's grandfather tossed out of hte order for having a family?

No.

More importantly, they've kept having post-ROTJ Jedi getting married and having kids, despite a film saying that prequel-era Jedi didn't officially get married. One might think George would say no to that, like he's said no to lots of other things.

But he hasn't.

Anyway. This thread is coming down to "people who've never read EU in their lives and hate it anyway" vs. "people who've actually read the books and understand continuity" going around in circles. I'm locking this.

Fleab88 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.