main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why did Palp want the Queen to stay in Coruscant?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Indy3, Feb 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Indy3

Indy3 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    Was watching TPM again, and was just wondering why did Palp want Queen Amidala to say in Coruscant with him and not go to Naboo?

2. Rcatz21

Rcatz21 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 19, 2005
    so that it looks like hes concerned for her well being.

3. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Reverse psychology :p

4. Darth Kruel

Darth Kruel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    Right. Reverse psycology. Palpatine wants to make it seem like he's concerned when in reality he truly did want her to return to Naboo. But there's a reason as to why Palpatine wanted her to return to their home planet but since Episode III isn't out yet, I'll keep it to myself what that reason is.

5. OBIWAN-JR

OBIWAN-JR Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 25, 2002
    He didn't want her to stay, Indy. He just wanted to make it LOOK like he wanted her to stay. He wanted her to sign that treaty and therefore he needed her back on Naboo.

If you notice, at the VERY end of that scene, when the camera is on Palpatine after Padme has walked out of his office, just before the wipe to the next scene, there is a tiny smile which forms at the corner of Palpy's mouth. It is subtle but it is there and I love George for it.

Go back and freeze frame your DVD. It's on his left hand side of his mouth. [face_devil]

-JR :)

6. Indy3

Indy3 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    Ha, amazing.

Thanks

7. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    If she was on Corsucant, it gave him extra leverage to win the election. He could get her to keep talking about how hard things are for their people and how the Republic needs reforming and win Palpatine a lot of votes. But I'm sure he was just as content for her to go back, since he could exploit that for obvious reasons.

8. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I always thought Plaptine wanted her to stay so that he can continue his Occupation of Naboo.

9. TrueJedi

TrueJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 22, 2000
    Because Palpy loved Amidala. He wanted her to be his Empress.

My understanding is that the wedding vows were as follows:

Officiator: Do you Palpy the Merciless take Queen Amidala as your Empress of the Hour?

Palpy: Of the Hour? Certainly.

Officiator: To use her as you will?

Palpy: Of course.

Officiator: And not to blast her into space dust until which time you grow weary of her?

Palpy: I do.

Truly a very romantic ceremony.

10. Darth_Howell_III

Darth_Howell_III Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2002

He's a sucker for a pretty face.

11. orangefuzz

orangefuzz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2003
    If you notice, at the VERY end of that scene, when the camera is on Palpatine after Padme has walked out of his office, just before the wipe to the next scene, there is a tiny smile which forms at the corner of Palpy's mouth.

Yes, I noticed that as well. I could tell from the start that Palps was up to his his usual hijinks with pretending to want her to stay, so I looked for a hint and found what you found. Nice eyes ;)

12. One-with-the-Force

One-with-the-Force Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 2002
    Reverse psychology? I thought Palpatine would almost definitely want her to stay on Coruscant. If she stayed, there would be no one to lead an attack on the Royal Palace of Naboo, The Viceroy would stay in power, the Trade Federation would remain in control of their blockade, and Darth Sidious' first phase of his plan would work out perfectly.

13. GrandAdmiral_Frank

GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 2003
    I'll have to watch for that smile.

14. DarthGimpy

DarthGimpy Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 17, 2004
    I don't think Palpatine anticipated the infiltration of Theed and the capturing of the viceroy. If Padme stayed on Coruscant it would have helped his election chances and kept the occupation going. If she left, she could sign the treaty, be killed, and earn him more sympathy in the vote. Either way, he was going to win.

15. JediMasterChiefYoda

JediMasterChiefYoda Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2003
    I think that he wanted her to go back. Right after she leaves, she sends Maul to Naboo. I think Maul was sent to kill the queen. Jinn senses that someone means to destroy her if she stays (why else would Lucas put out the Maul's ship has a clocking device?)

Her death (before any treaty is signed) illegealizes the occupation by the Trade Feds. Also, since much of Valerum's staff is on the payroll of the TF, he'd be quility by association, and voted out. Palpy would be nominated (he's such a planner that I'm certain that he's already got someone blackmailed into nominating him). His homeworld (under attack) would give him a large sympathy vote.

At least, that's how I always took it.

16. jawaavenger

jawaavenger Jedi Master star 2

Mar 8, 2005
    Darth Gimpy said it perfectly. At this point it doesn't matter, he is going to become chacellor. He is already going to influence the vote anyway. If she stays, she helps with the sympathy vote. If she goes and signs the treaty it helps the sympathy vote. Palps already won, he just appears to be nice so people will like him.

17. Cereal_Killa

Cereal_Killa Jedi Youngling

Mar 4, 2005
    OBIWAN-JR
    I watched the DVD 5 times and his faces doesn't move a fraction of an inch. Are you sure that you aren't seeing what isn't there? Kind of like when you look in the mirror and say Bloody Mary three times she appears?

18. marajadebean

marajadebean Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2005
    [face_laugh] True Jedi, you crack me up. So Flash Gordon.

But I don't really see Uncle Palpy as a sex symbol....eek, goodness no. [face_laugh]

I never noticed that gesture Palpy made to cover his smile. I know what I'm watching again on Monday. I feel compelled!

19. Darth_Howell_III

Darth_Howell_III Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2002

The scene wipes from the bottom of the screen upwards, creating the overall impression of a smile with its "upward movement."

"Wipe that smile ON your face..."

The novel, as I recall, did specify that there was a hint of a smile.

Anybody remember when J.R. Ewing ogled his niece Lucy with rampant, salavating lust?

Hagman to director: What's the matter with a bastard showing that he is not unaffected by a beautiful woman?

Is there no place for "coveting thy neighbor's wife" in the Sith Creed of Ethics?

20. ROTS_Obi

ROTS_Obi Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 10, 2005
    ummm.... I dont know if this is right but.. didn't he want her to stay so she doesn't sign the treaty?

21. JediMasterChiefYoda

JediMasterChiefYoda Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2003
    I don't think so. If she signed the treaty, it WOULD legealize the TF's invasion. Then the Republic's hands would be tied. But if she was killed in the invasion, then the TF "would be finished." Then, the Republic would HAVE to do something to liberate the planet, Valorum would still be diposed (remember, his staff was on the payroll of the TF. Guilty by association), and Palpy would be elected Supreme Chancellor.

What happened worked for his advantage, though. He got everything he wanted and then some. He found his future apprentice, the simpleton he needed to give him emergency powers, and found out droid armies are no match for living, breathing armies.

22. orangefuzz

orangefuzz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2003
    I tried watching for the smile frame by frame but you can't reall see it that way. Watching the scene in motion it is hard to see, but I think I saw something. But I didn't think of the upwards wipe thing, that's clever. ;)

23. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    He didn't really care. The election was underway, and he already got what he wanted out of her. It didn't matter to him whether she left or stayed. At first, he wanted her to stay on Naboo and sign the treaty, creating outrage in the Senate, and allowing Palpatine to move a "vote of no confidence". But, since the Queen escapes, he had to change his plans. He adapts to changes, unlike the Jedi.

24. Azhrei

Azhrei Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 5, 2004
    In the novel, Jar-Jar was the last one to walk out of the office, and was surprised to see a smile on Palpatine's face.

25. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Oh, yeah! I remember that now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.