main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Why did they make that: movie & TV merchandising WTHs

Discussion in 'Community' started by DantheJedi, Mar 3, 2013.

1. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    In the same vein as my Movie Merchandising Missed Opportunities thread, but for stuff that was, you know, actually made and that no one asked for.

First up:

"Tonight, on The Looooove Boat...."

Yes, some toy company (Mego) actually made 3 3/4-inch scale (Star Wars-sized) action figures from The Love Boat! Why they did is anyone's best guess.

Other than a kid using the Isaac figure as the bartender in the old Kenner Mos Eisley Cantina playset, I got nothing else to say about these. I'm just as stupefied they were made as you are.

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    [​IMG]

Already sold out on Etsy. I'd buy one if you got a new one-liner every time you put the doll's sunglasses on.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  3. DantheJedi

Aug 23, 2009
    In 1984, LJN made a line of action figures based on the David Lynch Dune movie. While it makes you think why, remember that there was also things made to tie into the movie like bubble gum trading cards, children's storybooks, coloring books, a comics adaptation by Marvel Comics, and board games, so I think it was a bad miscalculation at creating the next Star Wars, if anything.

The funniest things about those action figures is that the one of Sting's character comes with the cat hooked up to a milking device, and that Baron Harkonnen looks to be such a huge chunk of plastic you could brain someone if you threw it at their head.

4. DantheJedi

Aug 23, 2009
    [​IMG]

What you see above is a action figure of The Phantom released in 1996 to tie into the Billy Zane movie. He kinda looks like Charlie Brown cosplaying as The Ghost Who Walks, doesn't it? Probably why they didn't sell.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Didn't they have M*A*S*H figures too at one point?

6. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
  7. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    [​IMG]

The Passion of The Christ crucifixion nail jewelry.

8. DantheJedi

Aug 23, 2009
    Yep, even a Klinger variant wearing a dress. M*A*S*H merchandising seemed to emphasize the military angle of the show, with military copters, Jeeps, and cheap rack toys like repackaged army men with tents, like I had when I was little, which is weird for a show that was anti-war.

9. DantheJedi

Aug 23, 2009
  10. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    I remember seeing The Black Hole action figures years ago. I thought the film was quite poor (I've never been able to watch more than about 5 minutes of this), and thought the action figures looked as poorly-done as the film...

11. DantheJedi

Aug 23, 2009
    Well, Mego's 3 3/4-inch action figures were of a poorer quality than Kenner's stuff. Not to mention they picked up every sci-fi license that came their way after Star Wars, because it was supposedly said they were offered the SW toy license by a Lucasfilm representative before the the film's release who came into their New York offices, and they responded by literally throwing them out. It was said going after all those licenses (and they not selling) did them in.

12. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I particularly like Horatio Caine and that round-headed Phantom. [face_laugh]

13. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012
    ahahah, David Caruso, what a D- actor