main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Everett, WA Why the change in mod/CSR colours

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by DarthBreezy, Feb 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Originally posted by Raven:

I?m going to come right out and say what the problem is between the Mod Squad, the Old Folks Home, and an element of site ownership. An element of site ownership has told the entire Mod Squad that we must provide him with our real names and addresses and such by registering at another message board and then passing on our user names there to him through G-S. If we do not, we get demoted. All future moderators will have to provide this information. This may be expanded to cover City Representatives as well.

The Mod Squad and Old Folks Home have two major issues.

1) The security of the information and the purpose behind the information gathering. As everyone is probably well aware, the Mod Squad is about as leaky as the Titanic. This has fostered worries about how secure this information would be, even though it?s being stored elsewhere. No system is perfect, and there is the worry that that information might come out and what might be done with that information. And we?ve yet to be told why we need to give it (though the guess that it is something along the lines of ?if LFL sues, it?s on the shoulders of the moderators?).

2) The way that this has been handled by site ownership. More than anything else, I think that?s what?s at the heart of this. The feeling in the Mod Squad and Old Folks Home is that an element of the site ownership does not care about the message boards and the users and moderators here in any way at all. We as a group have not been provided with reasons why the information is needed; we feel that we?ve been threatened; we feel that we?ve been insulted; and finally we feel that we?ve been ignored.

Since that post was made, a number of JC and FF mods were demoted for refusing to give the site owner this information. They were:

Darth Sapient
    sideshow212
    stinrab
    Mr.Neck
    Protege-of-Thrawn
    Rogue1-and-a-half
    Bria
    strawbary
    Nabooty_Call
    Jeff 42
    Obi-Dawn Kenobi
    VoidDancer
    HawkNC

The following mods have voluntarily resigned:

jp-30
    Krash

Bria will be returning as a moderator soon hopefully ? she has submitted her data.

Currently, we have no Head Administrator. For the immediate future, Raven, KnightWriter and Grilled-Sarlacc will share the position.

Many of the remaining mods are uncertain whether it's more ethical to stay here and try to rebulid the JC or to also resign as a show of solidarity. A number now have their names in black for this reason.

This is a heads up...

Just so you know, the 'data base' at our yahoo group is members only.

2. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    FYI, the Chapter Representatives will never be asked to give out their personal information. Personally, I had no problem giving the owners of TFN my name, address, and email address. It is the least I could do for them, afterall, I have access to their servers and could delete the entire site, or at least all the forums, and users, with the click of a few buttons. They have a right to know who exactly it is that has access to their servers and moderates their forums.

TFN remains very committed to Fanforce.

(Anything italicized is a direct quote from Philip Wise)

First, I'd like you to know we have a very strong commitment to Fan Force. We have long known how important the group is to Star Wars fandom and that's why we have always done everything we could for the group. In fact in the new design and implementation of the tf.n site, Fan Force has a much larger presence and access to cool new direct site publishing software. Our commitment is very strong and I don't see that changing.

I asked if there are any plans for Fanforce in the future in cooperation with LFL (Such as the IMAX event in November of 2002).

Yes, but at the moment we are not in a position to discuss it. The biggest next thing for us is the launch of the new site, with sections for all the fan force chapters.

I asked him if the CRs would ever be asked for their personal information. His answer was that:

Only for people who have access to the site and mod the forums. We think the benefits will be very strong for doing this. (ie RSAs/GSAs/JC Mods)

If you have any concerns after reading the above, please send Paulie a PM, and she can ask the owners a question herself in the thread in the CR forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.