main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

William Shakespeare Fan Club

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Master Salty, Jun 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rilina

Rilina Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2000
    Favorite plays: Hamlet, Henry V, Much Ado About Nothing, King Lear.

I took a Shakespeare course during my senior year of college, and my prof showed film adaptations every week. I actually liked the recent "Hamlet" with Ethan Hawke and Kyle MacLaughlin a lot. It wasn't a perfect adaptation by any means, but I admired the risks that the interpretation took. Another fascinating adaptation is "Ran" by Kurosawa (I think?) which is based on King Lear.

2. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    The old black and white movie adaptation of Macbeth was really good. I watched it when I was a senior in high school. I agree that Shakespeare should be read aloud. It's a shame that more people don't appreciate his work.

It's really hard to get all the imagry that Shakespeare packs into his work on the first go around. You really need to read it over and over.

3. MoldyBread

MoldyBread Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 10, 2000
    I liked that one adaptation of Hamlet... Oh... what was it... The one with the father who is killed by the uncle... and the kid has to overthrow the uncle who is now king... but they are all lions...

Oh yeah, The Lion King.

4. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    I'm reading "A Midsummer Night's Dream" now.

5. MoldyBread

Aug 10, 2000
    I took a mythology class after I had been in Midsummer, and it helped me understand some of the back-story of the characters and stuff. When I first read Midsummer, I had no idea that Theseus was a greek hero - it all made sense afterwords.

6. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    It's really cool to see how Shakespeare draws from other eras of literature. A "Midsummer Night's Dream" is the twin of "Romeo and Juliet."

I love all forms of mythology. That would be a cool topic of discussion.

7. Aanix_Durray

Aanix_Durray Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 29, 2001
    To pick a favorite I have to divide it up into Comedy and Tragedy:

Comedy~~ Much Ado About Nothing --"I wonder that you should still be talking Senior Benedick, nobody marks you"--Beatrice (love her!)...A Midsummer Night's Dream~~"If we shadows have offended, think but this and all is mended: that you have but slumber'd here, whilst these visions did appear"--Sweet Puck

Tragedy ~~ Hamlet "This above all, to thine own self be true" --Polonius...Macbeth "It is a tale told by an idiot, with sound and fury, signifying nothing"--Macbeth.

I actually played the third witch in Macbeth, it was so much fun, but it made me a little biased towards the play.

~~Aanix

8. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    I just watched the movie "A Midsummer Night's Dream" which had Callista Flockhart and Michelle Pfieffer. It was great.

9. Hatter

Hatter Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2001
    Well, so far I've studied R&J, Merchant of Venice, Hamlet, "The Scottish Play", & Julius Caesar.

I haven't yet had the chance to perform any Shakespeare, though. It would be an experience!

10. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    I've never had the opportunity to perform any Shakespeare either. It's a shame we didn't do any in my high school drama class.

11. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    Although I never acted Shakespeare, I regularly had to study his plays for my English class (the top English class - of which I was a member of - always did Shakespeare unlike the lower classes for some reason).

My favourite would probably have to be Hamlet, though I'm probably biased since I had to study it for my final school exams and as such got to know it inside out (unlike the others I've studied). I also studied Measure For Measure for my final exams as well (this is back in 1998).

My class also looked at some other plays but we never really studied them in depth much. The only standout plays we did do were MacBeth (in 1994) and Henry IV Part 1 (in 1996).

Unfortunately it's been so long since I've read a Shakespeare play (not since 1998) so I don't really remember many quotes anymore (save perhaps a few from Hamlet).

12. Darth_Asabrush

Darth_Asabrush Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 21, 2000
    Here's something to talk about......

Shakespeare was one of the great Tudor propagandaists that played a huge role in the misinterpretation and distortion of key figures in British history!

13. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    You are correct. He played on Elizabeth I is some of his plays. James I was actually Shakespeare's patron during his reign.

14. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    I'm going to be reading Twelth Night.

Salty

15. Shequan

Shequan Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 5, 2001
    Here's a sad story:
    In high school, my friend and I wanted to go to this Shakespeare day-camp type thing, and not enough kids signed up, so they cancelled it! What's up with that?

I'm a big fan of his sonnets, but it was A Midsummer Night's Dream that got me into Shakespeare. I played Titania in high school, that was the greatest role I've ever played.

16. Goo_Child

Goo_Child Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    I whoever posted this is my hero. I read Shakesphere and my friends think I'm weird. I love A MIDSUMMERS NIGHTS DREAM and HAMLET. I love to act and to play Hamlet is my dream.

17. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    You are not wierd my friend. More people should read Shakespeare's work. I love A Midsummer Night's Dream as well. It's really cool how there is a story within a story and a play within a play. Not to mention the religious undertones in the play.

18. MoldyBread

Aug 10, 2000
    Odd and creepy coincidence: My high school performed Hamlet 3 years ago. The girl that played Ophelia was a very talented freshman.

To make a long story short, she drown last week - half a month before the start of her senior year. One of the first things that came to my mind was the way that Ophelia died in Hamlet.

She was full of talent, and a great friend, but I can stop thinking about how the role was eerily similar to real life.

19. Goo_Child

Goo_Child Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    I'm sorry your friend died, but that is just SCARY.

About the folks that think I'm weird, they are the people that use the word "like" way too much in a sentance.

20. MASTER_OBI-DAN

MASTER_OBI-DAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2002
    I am quite a big Shakespeare aficionado. I've been fortunate enough to have taken two university courses on his earlier and later plays. In terms of my favourite play, I have to go with Titus Andronicus; just because it's very raw and an amazing revenge tragedy. In terms of my favourite film rendition of a Shakespearean play, I'd have to go with Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet; because of the setting (19th Century Denmark), the ensemble cast and because the screenplay is based on the 'full text'. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.