main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Wingmates - [2012 Calendar Challenge- "Leap" Day] - Jaina & her men

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by LexiLupin, Jan 4, 2012.

1. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
    A/N: This is a non-voting-eligible entry for the 2012 Calendar Challenge.
    Setting: LotF, Fury time-frame; a sort of 'what-if' AU speculation.
    Genre: Stream of consciousness and...dark. Just... dark.

Touch

Her touch was a lie; his was even worse.

Her touch was denial; his was ignorant oblivion.

Her touch spoke of chains that were broken, that could never be reforged; his touch was testament to a bond of brotherhood, of camaraderie, that had never existed and never would.

A gentle embrace laden with relief; a clasp of the hand, full of gratitude.

That gratitude was the worst- thank you. Not for saving him but for saving her. For getting her out. His selflessness made her smile radiantly, even as she took his hand in hers and stroked it comfortingly, urging him to relax, to take time to recover from his substantial injuries.

I?ve been selfless; for five, ten fifteen years, I?ve been selfless. Not pushing, not pressing, waiting for her to accept what I knew to be true. Waiting for her to move beyond her guilt over that? that simulation of a man.

It is done. I am resolved. No more waiting, not when she was finally within my grasp before he turned up, a ghost from the Unknown Regions, a specter from her past to make her doubt the only truth in her world- me.

There is no other, no one who has stood side-by-side with the Sword as resolutely, as faithfully? as lovingly. Especially not him, who tried to kill her out of a misplaced, wholly deranged sense of duty. Does she not see that, with him, she will always come second, the mistress of the night to his higher responsibilities?

Not with me; she will always be my first in everything. And as such, it is my duty to protect her- even from herself. And especially from him. Which means that? there?s only one thing to be done.

I?ll have to kill Jag, be rid of that moralistic, interfering simulation of a man. Of course, I?ll have to do it in such a way so as not to distress Jaina.

And then? finally? there she?ll be. Jaina. I?ll reforge the link between us and, through it, pour my thoughts, my love, until she understands, until she loves and obeys me. Until she is mine.

?Zekk.? I turn, chagrined at my distraction. It?s him. He?s up. Good- it?s not very sporting to kick a man when he?s down. ?Are you alright?? That damned touch. ?You look a hundred light-years away.?

My eyes track slowly towards her, as she exits the small bunker base of the Jedi outpost. ?I?m fine,? I murmur absently, seeing her smile at me and then beam at him. ?Just figuring out? what to do next.?

He nods sympathetically. I don?t want your sympathy. ?I think we?re all trying to figure that one out.?

I smile ambiguously as Jaina?s eyes settle on mine, as her head cocks slightly to the side? like she?s trying to solve a puzzle, trying to sort out a mystery dangling just out of sight, out of reach.

But as she approaches him and takes his hand, looking him up and down to assess his recovery, I realize something- their touch is the worst. And as I watch him offer her a rare smile, see her cheeks flush faintly in turn, I am resolved- he will have to die.

Then again? I reconsider as she leans up and kisses him chastely on the cheek? perhaps I?ll have to revise my earlier assessment.

Jaina?s been distressing me every day since that Force-blind space-jockey was thrust back into our lives- and, as my fingers absently wrap around the pommel of my lightsaber, still clipped to my belt, I wonder?

Why then should I worry about distressing her?

Fin

[face_devil]

A/N: So I actually had considered doing something like this for the Fear Factor Halloween challenge and never got around to it. I think it fit better here anyway.
    There are two paragraphs in here adapted straight out of Fury, when Zekk is affected by his brush with the dark side in Alema's hideaway:

Then he would kill Jag and be rid of that moralistic, interfe

2. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Dark Zekk and a nice read

3. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    Oy. This was awesome. :eek:=D= I love dark Zekk. He's got a few screws loose but hey...it's the dark side talking.

Jaina?s been distressing me every day since that Force-blind space-jockey was thrust back into our lives- and, as my fingers absently wrap around the pommel of my lightsaber, still clipped to my belt, I wonder?

Why then should I worry about distressing her?

The question now...will he do it?

[face_thinking]

4. aalagartassle

aalagartassle Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2011
    Dark Zekk is a very interesting read. I like the machination perspective.

5. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    You had me worried...I thought it was Jacen thinking about Jaina at first. Now that would be twisted...and something I would probably write.

Very nicely done. For the longest time I thought Zekk was dead. Was he MIA for awhile?

6. LoriLynn

LoriLynn Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 13, 2011
    I definitely thought this was from Kyp's perspective at first, since we all known how he gets crazy jealous.

Is it wrong that I find Dark Zekk to be a little...attractive? Maybe it's just me.....[face_love]

7. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    earlybird-obi-wan - Dark Zekk and a nice read
    thanks!

Ceillean - The question now...will he do it?
    Being me, I of course have to leave that question unanswered and ambiguous. But I like to imagine that this could have really happened in the book, had we seen more of Zekk's perspective once they made it back to Endor. In which case, he obviously didn't kill Jag. But maybe he harbored those thoughts of doing so for longer than we realize... [face_devil]

aalagartassle - Dark Zekk is a very interesting read. I like the machination perspective.
    Thanks! Unusual route for me, but it worked here. Periodically, I just have to give dark!Zekk or dark!Kyp some play time...

Jedi_Lover- You had me worried...I thought it was Jacen thinking about Jaina at first. Now that would be twisted...and something I would probably write.
    Oh man- I don't doubt it, after My Brother's Keeper! [face_laugh] Does incestual-obsession fly on the Boards?
    Very nicely done. For the longest time I thought Zekk was dead. Was he MIA for awhile?
    Yeah, he was missing/sort of presumed dead at the end of Invincible. Turns out, he was off doing some super-secret work for Tenel Ka or some such silliness, but they canceled the book about it, so there's just a giant plot hole where he turns up again in FotJ. [face_laugh]
    (Actually- see FelsGoddess's 'Navigating the Hyperspace Lanes' for some speculation on that very topic!)

LoriLynn- I definitely thought this was from Kyp's perspective at first, since we all known how he gets crazy jealous.
    Ha, it definitely reminded me a bit of writing... ah geez, what's the one-shot called... Not Enough? Wholly different perspective, but similar idea, anyway. (Needless to say, I don't think this one-shot will be spawning an absurdly gigantic AU...)
    Is it wrong that I find Dark Zekk to be a little...attractive? Maybe it's just me..... love
    ;) You just like the bad boys; you asked the same thing after the Love the Way you Lie songfic. :p

Thanks for reading and commenting! [:D]

8. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    When you mentioned at the beginning that this was dark, you weren't kidding! :cool: This was a really interesting read, and you did a good job with the stream of consciousness writing. It fit the story very well and let us follow Zekk down in his spiral.

It's scary what the Dark Side can do to someone. The scheming and the plotting, all in the name of love...

Great story!

9. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    Dark Zekk is very interesting. Just a little bit crazy. Maybe crazy enough to go through with it? Hmm.....

Anyway, good story!

10. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    I love this story. It took me a minute to catch onto what was going on, but then... whoah! I really like Dark!Zekk. He's one of the few characters I'd actually like to see on the Dark Side in canon.

Great use of the prompt, I really enjoyed reading this one!

11. Websinger2

Websinger2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 31, 2010
    Great story, dark Zekk is wonderfully creepy. I can definitely feel the bitterness and resentment. Nice job :)

12. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Woah... very creep! I like it! :)

Love those first three lines, they really set the tone for the entire fic. I love reading dark things every once in a while and this hit that particular spot!

Great job!!
    =D=

13. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    Thumper09 - This was a really interesting read, and you did a good job with the stream of consciousness writing.

Thanks! [:D] It was definitely a new take for me, I usually avoid writing 1st persons in general - glad you liked!

Tarsier - Just a little bit crazy. Maybe crazy enough to go through with it? Hmm.....

That is the question, isn't it? [face_laugh] Perhaps this will merit a follow-up someday. [face_mischief]

Iverna - He's one of the few characters I'd actually like to see on the Dark Side in canon.

Indeed? I think it could definitely be interesting to see him go back down that path, but he's so... good anymore, LOL.

Websinger2 - Great story, dark Zekk is wonderfully creepy. I can definitely feel the bitterness and resentment.

:D[face_devil] Thanks! I like the occasional creepy dark story... keeps things interesting.

mavjade - I love reading dark things every once in a while and this hit that particular spot!

Glad to hear it! And yeah, I just get that urge every so often to write something REALLY... twisted. [face_laugh]

February response coming shortly!

14. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    A/N: Something fun to offset the eeriness of the last post- enjoy!

Setting: post-NJO, pre-Dark Nest- c. 32 ABY

February - "Leap" Day

Wingmates

Two pairs of green eyes stared skeptically across the room. Two pairs of arms were folded stubbornly over flightsuit-clad chests. After a terse moment, the younger of the two sat down, brow cocked in faux-polite bemusement over the other?s presence.

?Durron.?

A light sneer answered him. ?Zekk.?

A long minute passed in silence while they stared one another down. The utter silence of the ready-room in the lower level of the newly-rebuilt Jedi temple, next to the main hangar, did little to ease the tension between the two men.

?What are you doing here?? Zekk finally asked, forcing as much apathetic curiosity in his voice as possible.

The sneer changed to an incredulous look. ?The same thing you?re doing here, obviously.?

Any pretense of neutrality vanished from Zekk?s face, and his emerald eyes narrowed. ?I don?t know what Jaina told you, Durron, but she?s my wingmate.?

The sneer widened. ?Not when it counted. I notice you were nowhere to be seen when Twin Suns was running all the high-risk missions during the war.?

The young Jedi scowled deeply and grumbled something about jealous and interfering Chiss commanders. ?Well,? he met Kyp?s eyes challengingly, ?even then, you had to share, didn?t you? Jaina and I have been flying each other?s wing for more than two years now, Durron. We?re a good team. So get lost.?

?Get a last name.?

?Oh, go jump off a cliff.?

?Why don?t you go hop down a rancor?s throat??

Zekk?s retort was bitten back as both men sensed presences approaching, and seconds later, Jaina walked in the room, already in her own flightsuit, helmet tucked under one arm. She glanced between them, smirked lightly, and shook her head. ?You two getting along??

?Jaina, tell Master Durron here that you and I are wingmates.?

?Yeah, then tell the last-nameless-wonder that you wouldn?t have asked for my help on this mission if you didn?t want that special skill that only I can bring to the table.?

Smile turning devilish, Jaina looked between them a couple more times before biting her lip and shaking her head. ?Oh, boys?? she sighed. ?Kyp, of course I want your expertise. Zekk, of course we?re wingmates?? someone else slipped into the room behind Jaina,??usually??

Jag Fel slid an arm around her waist and kissed her cheek. ?We ready to launch??

Zekk scowled harder and Kyp eyed the newcomer calculatingly. ?And what are you doing here??

Jag?s brow furrowed in confusion. ?The same thing you?re doing here, obviously.? Zekk snorted in laughter before reclaiming his scowl.

?Aren?t you supposed to be liaising for the Chiss, Mister Envoy??

?I?m on a furlough; want to keep my piloting skills sharp.? He shot Jaina a sickeningly sweet look. ?Couldn?t say no when Jaina asked me to fly her wing on this smuggling run.? Jaina smiled beamingly at him, and they pecked lips quickly before turning, arm-in-arm, and leaving the ready-room.

Zekk and Kyp shared a comradely look of disgust, and then were forced to quickly school their expressions when Jaina popped back in the room, alone, and shot them each a quelling look. ?So in case you can?t do the math, laserbrains, that means you?re flying each other?s wing. Get over it.?

She turned and made it halfway out the room again before she paused and turned back.

?And one more thing- if you don?t stop bickering over me and wing pairs, you can both feel free to leap out an airlock.?

15. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    All after the same girl[face_laugh] Love it and Jaina chosing who

16. LoriLynn

LoriLynn Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 13, 2011
    "...We?re a good team. So get lost.?
    ?Get a last name.?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA touche, Kyp. [face_laugh]

?Yeah, then tell the last-nameless-wonder that you wouldn?t have asked for my help on this mission if you didn?t want that special skill that only I can bring to the table.?
    Kyp's special skill...=P~

Jag Fel slid an arm around her waist and kissed her cheek. ?We ready to launch??
    Oh Jag...you always show up at the best/worst times.

?I?m on a furlough; want to keep my piloting skills sharp.? He shot Jaina a sickeningly sweet look.
    Why do I get the feeling that they've also been spending their time honing other skills?

?And one more thing- if you don?t stop bickering over me and wing pairs, you can both feel free to leap out an airlock.?
    Well! [face_talk_hand]

17. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    There is no shortage of green-eyed guys in Jaina's life. [face_laugh]

18. Sticks

Sticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 27, 2001
    ?Get a last name.?

I actually lol'd. ;) That was great!

19. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Well, that didn't turn out like either Kyp or Zekk had anticipated, did it? LOL. I really enjoyed reading this and seeing how twisted around it all got. Kyp's "last name" remarks were awesome.

Zekk and Kyp shared a comradely look of disgust,

At least now Kyp and Zekk have a sliver of common ground: a mutual opponent. I wonder if that will be enough to get them through the mission working together. :p

Great job!

20. pinkpearl89

pinkpearl89 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 9, 2010
    Both of these were delicious =P~

Even though I've always been very strongly pro J/J, I do feel bad that Zekk and Kyp couldn't have found anyone else. Well, mostly Kyp -- Zekk kinda gets on my nerves. It's completely in her character but I still wish she wouldn't flaunt Jag in front of them so much. Then again, she wouldn't be Jaina if she was worried about other people's feelings :p

21. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    :DO:) NJO just really made it too easy to tease Jaina about her love life through the power of fanfiction... [face_whistling]

[face_laugh] I was re-reading a part of LotF yesterday where Jag refers to Zekk as 'that tall fellow with half a name' or something like that. It was wonderful.

And somehow, I knew you'd enjoy the visual of Kyp's... special skills.. :p

Once you find something you like, I guess... ;)

Thanks! :D I do really have too much fun with Jaina and her guys...

I'd like to think so. :D It's sort of like Tenel Ka in Dark Nest, using Jacen to bring the assorted courtiers together so they can plot his death after seeing her prefer HIM instead... [face_laugh]
    Hm, I guess in that regard, maybe this entry wasn't so different from the 'Touch' one as I thought... it all comes back to Zekk wanting vengeance on Jag... [face_whistling]

But it's so delightful to write. :p
    In all fairness, Zekk finally finds his gal in LotF/FotJ in Taryn Zel. I think they're engaged by this point in the series, aren't they?
    And Kyp has some lady-friend in LotF he mentions to Luke and Mara. We never see her but we know she likes his long hair and "doesn't mind all the gray in it"![face_laugh]

Reminder that everyone should check out the February Calendar entries and vote by tomorrow at midnight, Board time!

22. aalagartassle

aalagartassle Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2011
    :D good way to write a bit of mischief[face_mischief] nailed it!