main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive 'Wish I had thought of it' Department

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by mariot75, Mar 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mariot75

mariot75 Jedi Youngling

Mar 17, 2006
    A French photographer has won awards by (what looks to me) like
    photoshopping Star Wars characters into the real world (see
    www.thefirstpost.co.uk) and calling it art...

What a way to make a bundle...

2. Daenna

Daenna Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 11, 2006
    Haha... I applaud the concept, but some of the montages were just too obvious (the Boba Fett figure in the parking, for example) I wonder how he got an award for it :p

Hey, I live near Paris, too. Even I could've done something like that!

3. mariot75

mariot75 Jedi Youngling

Mar 17, 2006
    Thats the part that kills me too!! - I could have done it for London

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/index.php?menuID=4&subID=431

4. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    :oops: Oh no! They don't look bad, but very unrealistic. And I wouldn't call it art.

5. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Well, I really like the one of Palpatine and his guards outside the building.
    Striking angle, good composition, and the color of the guards is just a fantastic contrast to the cold steel/concrete.
    Due to all of that, I'd say that was the most artistic.
    But still, maybe he was trying to say something... but what?
    I'd be hesitant to call it art too if he wasn't trying to say something.
    Err excuse me. Not art, because it is art regardless, but award-winning art? Not so sure.

6. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    Bah.
    It would have been more real, easier, and far cooler to just get a bunch of guys from the 501st to stand there while you take pictures.

7. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    It is good photoshopping, but I think there are dozens of people here in the forum who could do the same thing.

AG88

8. FettFan79

FettFan79 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 25, 2005
    I did enjoy them, it is good photoshop work as has been mentioned. I would find the hardest part of that would be getting the highlights and shadows to look right--for the most part, those were pretty good. The pic of Jango I noticed was labeled as Boba...but I like the theme of that one "surprise--gotcha!" The background angles were awsome--the pic of the dewbacks--was that a parking garage? It looks so futuristic.

9. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Wow, this guy won awards with this stuff?

I'm gonna have to say that after seeing what some artists in this forum and elsewhere can do, these images are pretty poor quality. The PS job is very amateur and it looks like the figures were just slapped onto the background. Just a simple adjustment of the lighting and contrast could've made so much of a difference.

EDIT: Hmm...just went back and looked at them again. My memory must've been playing games with me. They didn't look anywhere near as good the first time I viewed them. Maybe I was a little harsh on the guy in my initial post. But some things still do look odd but nothing as bad as I first said. :p

10. FettFan79

Nov 25, 2005
    Yeah, the lighting wasn't right on, but not too bad I would say. I do not have any experience at all with photoshop (and my dad even teaches a class with it!) to really have knowledge about how difficult or how much skill it takes to do something like that. I have played with similar programs, but nothing substantial.

11. That_Wascally_Droid

Jul 29, 2001
    Battle between myth and reality.

Ok, I like that angle.

Sad urban wasteland is transformed into an intergalactic battleground of the future.

That one too.

And again, I really love the contrast of the red robes against the stark cold landscapes.

I also really like what he did with Boba Fett in the parking garage. He toned down the reds so that Fett's green, greys, and yellows perfectly compliment his environment. Things like that that make it more artistic than the standard put someone in a picture trend.
    Also, apparently it was all done with model kits. So, it's pretty neat that he took the time to light each model accoardingly. The clones in #8 for instance.

12. FettFan79

Nov 25, 2005
    The lighting in #8 was done nicely. I liked the one with the stormtroopers lining the highway--how'd you like to drive by them? h ehee oh in that one, I really noticed the overpass--the sweeping lines curving overhead...

13. That_Wascally_Droid

Jul 29, 2001
    Exactly. I mean, some artistic thought did go into this beyond the standard photoshopping.
    But I'm still not sure it ought to be award winning. Guess I'd have to see what it was up against.

14. mMathab

mMathab Jedi Master star 1

Apr 23, 2001
    Cool! Thank you for sharing!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.