main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

WNU - Feedback, Suggestions, Thoughts... Reasons to stay: What do you miss? What shall we add?

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Skiara , Oct 3, 2008.

1. Darth Vrook

Darth Vrook Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2005
    I remember when new users were able to register... I miss that feature!

:p

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    That feature was highly overrated and thus easily scrapped in leiu of far more useful functions on the boards.

3. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    So... can we delete this board now? :p

4. Darth Vrook

Darth Vrook Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2005
    :)

And yeah, can we temporarily turn this into a Welcome Continuing Users board? I'd like to make an introduction thread.

5. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Sure! [face_mischief]

After some days of talks, I think we have a good plan. :D

"Topic of the week":

The more I read and think about your idea, Myke and Morgaine, I really really love it! There's some potential in it and if we can get some regulars joining those talks, it will give even a better feeling for that certain board. :D

So I think, we all agreed on doing it, right? Now we just have to wait until our new user registration feature is back. :)

"Updating threads":

I'd like to update almost all threads, some more some less, depending on how up to date they are still and for sure: Checking each single link. So there are 'Map of the boards', maybe shortening the 'Glossary' (not sure about this), official welcome thread, Index and maybe more. If one likes to help, I would be happy. :)

"Thread for each board":

Nat, what do you think about an improve version of Map of the boards with a short do's and don't's? Is that what you're thinking about? Then it matches what Myke suggested earlier.

There are only a few suggestions left about which I would love to read some opinions.

1. What do you think about a second, but a lot shorter game than teh mole?

2. What do you think about keeping suggested boards personally and not randomly, plus doing more talks with new members to give them a start for being an active member?

6. Pete_Seyk

Pete_Seyk Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 2, 2004
    Why not compile lists of clubs and groups around the JCM, that way new users can quickly find a place they can call 'home.' I joined the Jedi Trials when I first came here and it kept me coming back to the boards. Just a suggestion to keep new users from leaving right away.

7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I think we should bang around ideas for the first dozen or so "Thread of the Week" topics, so that once WNU is back firing on all cylinders, we can just get the process started. I'll think of a few and PM them to you & Nat, so that we aren't clogging up this thread conspiring about other threads.

My thought is to start with a straight up 'Star Wars films' related thread.

I picture it working as follows...
    The thread title on the main WNU page will be along the lines of:
    WNU Thread of the Week for September 9 - 18, 2011: "What do you think of the Special Edition changes?" (SW Community)

Put the dates that it runs as well as 'where' such a topic can be found right in the title each week.

Then, once the thread is opened, the first post can explain not only the question, but also where on the boards similiar topics are discussed in case this particular thread of the week is in the vein of what a noob is looking for on the JC.

8. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Nat, what do you think about an improve version of Map of the boards with a short do's and don't's? Is that what you're thinking about? Then it matches what Myke suggested earlier.

Yes, exactly. Though perhaps a more visible one; I don't think many people check out the links at the top, unfortunately.

Can't wait to hear your ideas, Myke!

9. Morgaine

Morgaine Ex-Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 2001
    Not sure how much I can do, since I'm not as familiar with the boards as I used to be, but I'd certainly be willing to help. :)

1. Sounds good! Most newbies don't even seem to stick around long enough for the sign-up period to be over, much less the length of a full game.

2. Yeah, trying to engage the newbies in conversation definitely is a good idea to me. There's no reason why the introduction threads should have to be limited to a dozen "welcome!"s and nothing else. Much more fun for everyone involved, too. (Of course, plenty of newbies never actually come back to their thread, or only to say a short "thanks" and nothing more, but doesn't hurt to try.)

I like the sound of that. :D

Since there aren't actually any newbies around (and not exactly a whole lot of oldbies either), I don't think you need to worry about "clogging up this thread". Well, that, and I'm curious to hear your ideas, too. ;)

Maybe we could split this discussion into two threads though, make an extra one for the reworking of the "info threads"?

10. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Fair enough. I'll publicly list off a few comcepts for weekly topics tomorrow or the next day.

Definitely start with a specific SW film related chat that has a direction to it, such as the aforementioned 'view on the special edition' disussion.

I would fire off the first few weeks with popular forum samples, such as have someone post a fanfic in here for feedback, a JC Community style awkard-fest comparable to "Once, as a sober and awake adult, I willingly peed myself" (true story... I'll start that thread, as I am beyond shame), and maybe a LACWAC discussion or even ARENA ('favorite sport' or 'sports you played').

If the noobs get really lucky, they will witness the sheer awesome that is Pancakes and Waffles. Who wouldn't want to sample pancakes & waffles...?

11. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Ok, here is just a rough frame of how to attack doing topic of the week, utilizing some of the more diverse offerings around the board as a whole... again, this is open to interpetation, but I would definitely keep the following criteria:
    1. WHERE on JC similiar discussion can be found clearly marked in the title of the thread.
    2. LINK TO and description of WHAT the particular forum on JC is about/purpose/etc. in the opening post along with the topic itself.

I would definitely start with a SW saga question, as the films are arguably the reason most people are here in some form or another.

And, I have sincerely considered what I'm about to say, so consider that I don't propose it lightly... if one or a handful of topics are somewhat questionable topics or are sensitive (to a degree), I would actually find that a benefit, as it will better prepare new users for how some of the threads around the boards can get heated, but also to get everyone in the mindset that not all members on here have the same views on subjects.

Just to get us started:

WNU Thread of the Week for ??-??, 2011: "What do you think of the Special Edition changes?" (The Star Wars Saga)
    WNU Thread of the Week for ??-??, 2011: "Should overweight people be allowed to use handicapped parking spaces?" (The Senate Floor)
    WNU Thread of the Week for ??-??, 2011: "[title of author's FANFIC]" (Fan Fiction)
    WNU Thread of the Week for ??-??, 2011: "As a sober, completely awake adult, I willingly peed myself" (YJCC)
    WNU Thread of the Week for ??-??, 2011: "More clones, more politics, or more Jedi next season?" (LACWAC)
    WNU Thread of the Week for ??-??, 2011: "Films that don't completely fail their literary sources" (The Ampitheatre)
    WNU Thread of the Week for ??-??, 2011: "Demand icons from Natalie... She has nothing else to do!" (Communications)
    WNU Thread of the Week for ??-??, 2011: "Pancakes, Pancakes, Pancakes" (Pancakes and Waffles)

I think it's diverse enough to kickstart the project, semi-interesting enough to maintain interest & activity, and gives a decent overview of how to navigate (as well as responsibly post around) the boards.

12. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    "Demand icons from Natalie... She has nothing else to do!" (Communications)

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

I think the list is off to a really good start! I'd like to add one to it, for Census and Games: a game. (We have a couple games that can be played in a week, and I think it would be run to run a round of Snap or something over here.)

For the fanfic week, what about asking people to participate in a round robin? (Each contribute a bit to a fanfic story.)

I can see what you see about the sensitive issues thing actually getting users acclimated to a forum (so if they don't like it, that forum isn't for them). So I think the only one I'd say I'd take off is the P&W thread. P&W was hilarious, but it's an old joke, and it isn't actually used anymore. If it still came back occasionally, a thread for it would be fun, but I don't think, now, that a thread for that forum would be as helpful as it would have a couple years ago.

EDIT: I should probably add that I don't actually mod this forum; the above is just my opinion :p

13. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    I put P&W as a joke. It would serve little purpose to 'acclimate' anyone to it.

I contemplated a game, and definitely want one as a thread of the week, but I simply wasn't sure which to offer as an option. We would absolutely be remiss to NOT demo 'games' in WNU, as it is easily one of the more viable/active forums on here.

Swap out my insincere P&W thread for a game and I think we have a solid start for a rotation in here.

14. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Just a quick reply, since internet isn't back yet and not posting from home...

I really love your activity in here and all the suggestions. I have to take a closer look at those above (and hopefully later on) when I can come online from home. But I would like to say I like those ideas for "topic of the week" and I would like (and I'm going to ask the other mods to particiapte within the next days). Great! :D

Go on! :)

15. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Maybe some of those "Quick Games" from C&G could be moved here. Generally, those don't take very long to play (usually less than a week), which is about the time frame we're shooting for in length. C&G has enough games left that it shouldn;t be too much of an impact to see those come here and compliment Teh-Mole.

Or, you could bring the FFC Games back to this forum, because that's where those came from in the first place. Length is the only issue on those, and also they are not getting much participation in that forum. Maybe bringing them back would get more players once the new users can come back?

16. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    After re-reading the posts above with a bit more time left, I think we have done a good step forward! [:D]

Topic of the week:

First, a quick question: Is there a reason why "topic" changed to "thread"? Just a detail, but maybe I missed something. :)

What do you think about an intro-post like:

*start*
    Subject: [Star Wars Saga] Thread/Topic of the Week: What do you think of the Special Edition changes?
    Body: In this thread you are welcome to join us discussing the topic "What do you think of the Special Edition changes?" until the 3rd. of October. After that day this thread will be closed. So, in case you enjoy this kind of topic, feel free to visit Star Wars Saga where the topic originally belongs to and where you can find similar threads.

It's some time ago that the Special Editions came out, but what do you think of the Special Edition changes? Which ones do like or dislike?
    *end*

I shortened the subject a bit, since I think there were too many shortened information in it, which aren't needed in the first place to catch attention and might even confuse. Of course, they are needed for the understanding, so I added them to the general intro of the thread (grey part). If you disagree, please, let me know. :)

Myke, thanks for your suggestions of topics. They are great! :D

Having a game of C&G for a week, would be nice as well. Nat, you're welcome to suggest one. :)

As I said above, I'm going to ask the other mods for some support. Maybe there are regulars who are interested in discussion old topics with new members or they have an idea which thread might portray their boards best. [done] :)

Board/Category threads/Map of the boards:

A shortened version would be cool, but I'm not sure, how we can do that exactly. A list of all clubs might be a bit too much, Seyk, but a link to a list of all clubs might work. To make such a thread more visible, there's only one thing I think that works: Linking to new members (in introduction threads mainly). Header, index, stickied will work less well. You know those are overlooked easily. ;)

Gunny, what do you mean with your idea of games? Moving quick-games in here temporarily? Constantly? :confused:

Updating threads:

Is there anyone who would like to help me checking and updating all informational threads? Of course, not all for one person, but splitting the work. :)

17. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Sorry, the crazy copy editor came out :p I like what you wrote, though tried to shorten it a bit to make it a bit more direct. How does this sound?

Subject: [Star Wars Saga] Thread/Topic of the Week: What do you think of the Special Edition changes?
    Body:
    The Special Edition DVDs came out a while ago, but what do you think of the changes? Which ones do you like or dislike?

This thread will remain open until October 3. If you enjoy this kind of topic, feel free to visit Star Wars Saga, where the topic originally belonged and where you can kind similar threads.

As for the C&G game, I was thiking SNAP. It's quick, it's easy, it's fun, and it's a classic.

I can help you update threads :)

18. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    I think SNAP! would work well here as a permanent(?) fixture, because it's a very fast game. We could also bring in a few other of those games on a temporary basis as an advertisement (ex. If You like "Hypothetico", for instance, you might want to check out C&G, etc.)

If that occurs, there is no need to move the FFC Quick-Games here.

19. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I'm not really eager to let them go :p I think playing one is a good idea for C&G week, but we do still play them in C&G.

20. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    No real reason for the change of wording. Topic/thread are both options. Neither carries more weight than the other to me, so I will leave that up to the 2 lovely ladies who make wear the pants in our family.

As for the 'special edition changes' being somewhat dated, I was leaning more toward the contemporary relevance due to the blu ray set and even more alterations that just released. But, it's also a generally universal discussion amongst SW fans, so I considered that to be the best route, film-wise.

21. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Nat, you old cce! ;) I even like yours better. It's shorter and the focus is better placed. I'll do a copy-dancer myself when we can start it, if that's fine for you. :)

Myke, if you think an intro isn't that good, you're welcome to give feedback. :)

I was just thinking, if anyone can start such a thread (after coordination with me) or if it makes sense, if a colored person should open it. Oh, all the details... ;)

About games... I would love to see such a game as Snap! in here for the C&G week, but not on a constant basis. It's WNU and it should stay WNU, plus C&G should keep their games and polls as well! :)

But while we are speaking about games, I spoke with Gangrenous about Teh Mole, which is going slowly lately, and we would like to see it being more active again (of course, getting no new users doesn't help much). That's why we like to ask you for your thoughts, feedback and ideas. What can we change to make it more interesting and maybe even a bit faster?

22. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] Skiara's the one in charge; I just hang out here and help out occasionally :p

23. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Has any consensus been reached on this topic?

24. Morgaine

Morgaine Ex-Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 2001
    Well, there's only so much we can do with no new users coming in...

Still standing by to help with the re-write of the informational threads, though! Just let us know what you need, Skiara. :)

25. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Sadly not yet, Gunny. We are still discussing it.

Thanks, Morgaine. Everything gone in a chaotic way so I had to delay it a bit, but I'll pm you when I start. :)