main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Women in TCW

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seerow, Dec 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    When/where did that happen?

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Han being misogynistic or Leia holding her own?

"If we could avoid any more female advice" is a pretty sexist line. He wasn't over the top, that's why I said "a bit"; if he were really a misogynist I wouldn't like him, and Han is my favorite character in the series next to Anakin and Leia.

And Leia holding her own--pretty much the entire time from the moment Luke opened her cell door.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  3. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    TCW has shown a lot of strong female characters. In the future I would love to see female officer of the Republic fleet. I think she would suit best to work with Aayla Secura since the contrast of half-naked female jedi and a woman in uniform would be very delicious[face_laugh]. In my episode ideas I actually placed woman admiral with Aayla.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    My reaction to those episodes has always been "Put some clothes on, Aayla."

But nobody ever said I was the target audience. :p

I demand shirtless male Jedi, or Rex taking his shirt off. Dammit.

5. rumblewagon

Sep 24, 2004
    Actually, I was wondering when/where Leia got called a ***** for it...

6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That happened in the late 70s in various commentary that was around then.

7. rumblewagon

Sep 24, 2004
    Very interesting. How times have changed.

8. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Rex was shirtless in Deserter and Anakin in the movie and in old CW in that Nelvaan storyline. Maybe that could be redone somehow... Maul was shirtless though as well as all nightbrothers:p So no one can complain that TCW wouldn't show shirtless males.

Aayla makes the life of her fellow male jedi very hard... "Concentrate, concentrate..... there is no passion..... there is serenity.....no passion.....":p Besides she gives bad example for Ahsoka and other young jedi.[face_shame_on_you] Not that it would irritate me but it's comical to see her halfnaked.

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yes, Anakin was shirtless in the microseries, I do remember that.

Hmmm...Deserter.

Seerow likes this.
  10. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Meh...if we have to have topless men, it's Obi-Wan all the way.

Er, yeah...;)

(I could resurrect the loin cloth line of "debate" - but I won't. :D)

Seerow and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  11. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Obi-Wan with a loincloth[face_hypnotized]..... what the....

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That's a nice image to carry around for the holiday.

13. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    It's from an old thread talking about Ahsoka and Aayla's skimpy clothing - probably season 1 or 2 vintage.

For the holidays, the loin cloth could be made of a tinsel garland...is that a nice visual "present" for the ladies who want equally opportunity underclothed males?

14. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    As said those nightbrothers had loincloths. Dathomir culture is a great example of strong female characters, who knows Talzin may prove to be nearly equal to Palpatine if her grand plan is revealed.

But Obi-Wan with a loincloth is very comical mental image[face_laugh]

I never liked Ahsoka's terrible tubetop:oops: while it was somewhat suitable for rebel young girl it was very odd for a 14-year old jedi. Twi'leks and Togrutas both live on warm worlds and use rather skimpy clothing, but even compared to civilians we see in TCW Ahsoka and Aayla wear far more revealing clothes. Shaak Ti however has a large dress unlike many togrutas we have seen whatever the reason for that. In TFU she also has skimpy clothing but she is in tropics of Felucia leading a tribe of felucians dressed like that. Besides Starkiller also was shirtless there.

I really like Shaak Ti btw and I would love to see her more. It was too bad she didn't have chance to duel Grievous on Kamino. There was that old idea in Clone Wars microseries that Ki-Adi-Mundi and Shaak Ti are close friends and perhaps romantically involved. They never went with that idea but I kinda like it. Ki-Adi is also underused jedi that could be developed more and his relationship to Shaak Ti could be interesting for them to use. They have shown jedi being in love with non-jedi but with two jedi struggling between duty and feelings could provide good emotional drama. EU has those romances yet we haven't seen that in movies or TCW.

Honestly I can say that TCW has handled the romantic scenes better than AOTC or ROTS (despite generally seen as a kid's show). Voyage of Temptation brought much to Obi-Wan IMO and Luxoka romance was also rather cute in A Friend in Need- episode.

Seerow likes this.
  15. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Lol, as Swash mentioned that happened and Rex didn't look all that hot topless. Kit Fisto however... I could get behind shirtless TCW Anakin. Saw was generic but he would have been alright shirtless. =b

Obi-wan shirtless and in the loin cloth? Ewan McGregor win.

Ummm... back to women in TCW. Call me one of the rare ones to never have a problem with the tubetop. I've seen 14 year old girls dressed in far worse. I wouldn't let my 14 year old daughter go out like that, but the Jedi seem to be lax on dress code and supportive of its members to follow their ethnic identity. Far as I know that's normal for Twi'liks and Togrutas. There are plenty of examples to Aayla. For Ahsoka its harder but I've only seen the sample from Kuros and a pretty scantily clad one from "Bound for Rescue".

16. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Gotta agree on the Voyage of Temptation episode - loved Anakin's attempts to insinuate/find out more.

I don't think it's necessary to always have a romantic vibe going on between male and female friends/colleagues but the occasional dynamic is fun. Or can be.

^:)^

Well, I'd rather have strong female characters and skimpy attire, than just skimpy attire. But for a woman of my generation, the proliferation of skimpily clad females to appeal to the OOU fanbase is tiresome and not really improving.

The "ethnic identity" card is pulled out for an explanation for females, yet all the Jedi were raised in the Temple and should, I think, have more identity with the Jedi than their birth planet/culture. It's no coincidence that the skimpy clothing, artfully torn clothing, etc. are all on females (not quite 100% but close).

Ahsoka may have dressed like a real world teenager, but she was almost pre-teen and a Jedi, which was always my objection. Who fights in a tube top that may slip off or a skirt that barely covers her behind? That was so unrealistic for the character in that universe - my objection. If Satine chose to dress like that - well, femme fatale anyone?

CT-867-5309 and Seerow like this.
  17. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    "Voyage in Temptation" and to an extent "Duchess of Mandalore" both handled Obi-wan and Satine well. I agree its not always needed to go the romantic route and I'm not fond of folks who just automatically start shipping characters romantically.

18. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    I'll disagree with you here. Again, Jedi are supposed to be as nondescript as possible so as to stay inconspicuous while on missions. Thus, they should wear clothing appropriate to their species and culture, instead of something that screams "JEDI!!!" as soon as people see it. Togruta Jedi should look like any average Togruta, Twi'lek Jedi should look like any average Twi'lek, and so on.

Now, the question could be asked why exactly so many cultures seem to favor skimpy clothing on their women, but that's another story.

Then again, some may be personal choice as well. Shaak Ti is a Togruta, yet somehow avoids tank tops and miniskirts. Maybe that's just Ahsoka's style. Usually it's a parent who reigns in a teenager's more scandalous fashion choices, but the closest thing Ahsoka has to that is Anakin, and he doesn't quite seem the type to deliver the "There's no way you're leaving this house wearing that, young lady!" lecture.

Seerow likes this.
  19. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    [face_laugh]

20. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Maybe uncle Obi-wan could of had that convo with Ahsoka? -nudges Valairy- =b

21. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Plot bunny!?!

22. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Hah...that's all yours. I suck at fanfics. =b

23. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Obsessive shippers are the lowest form of fandom. They don't care about story development, character development, acting, etc.; they just want to see their favorite pair hook up and %$#@ like bunnies. :oops:

24. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Sometimes they're not even fond of the pair, they just focus on the slightest perceived romance and ignore everything else, regardless of how much contradicting evidence there is.

25. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    I think Rexoka and Anisoka fanfic is definitely a good example of totally unfounded romantic fanfic. Ahsoka is not at all romantically involved with either one.

TCW could however reveal more about relationships within the jedi order, which people are close friends, which are just colleagues and which people don't get along so well. Not all jedi need to be best friends and some internal conflict among the council could be interesting to see. In TCW jedi council is same as Yoda and Mace, sometimes Obi or Plo, talking via hologram and saying how "separatists.... blah blah..., we must not blah blah...) they could have more interesting role as well since there is a lot of popular, cool and interesting protagonist-characters to explore further.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.