main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Fran, CA WONDERCON 2006: FRI, FEB 10 - SUN, FEB 12.

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by AnasianSkywalker, Nov 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    I'm hoping to make it up there tomorrow night for dinner and the dancing, though I know it means I'll be beat at work on Friday. Thanks for posting the parking suggestion!

As for dinner at the Metreon - do you mean that same food court area we went to after the meeting in Jan?

2. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    Yeah, we can meet there and then decide if we want to eat there as well, or go somewhere else.

3. skye_solo

skye_solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2004
    I will be coming tomorrow, err... tonight, lol. I will be getting there a wee bit after the rest of you tho, it appears. I have to work till prob 9:30, 10 at the latest. Then BART over to the city. So, I'll def be there, but I'll see you all at the club later.

4. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    Cool. I'll try to be there by 7pm, but it'll depend on how bad traffic is coming into the city. Ironically, I work nearest to 101N, but will have to backtrack across town to 280 in order to avoid the generally worse traffic on 101 going north.

5. Avalyn07

Avalyn07 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2005
    Oh ya dinner and dancing is on!

My ETA is 4PM or maybe a little sooner.

But we need to check in and all that.

I'll ring ya'll up when we arrive.[face_dancing]

6. swguru2004

swguru2004 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2003
    :cool: OH YEAH!

7. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Ah cool! The SD folks get to come up to San Francisco :) It'll be good to see you guys.

- Kay Dee

8. swguru2004

Nov 17, 2003
    It will be good to see you also Kathy. It has been awhile since FIDM. I am extremely excited about this Superman panel. but inorder to get good seats I am probably going to be in Room 2000all day. What is everyone doing Saturday night?

9. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Hooters, anyone? ;)

10. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    I got the shirts! I'd say if you're not in costume at the table, please wear them to help advertise the club. Also, let's get together Saturday night for a group photo with our shirts on. For those of you who didn't get one, wear a black t-shirt, and we'll "blend" you into the photo! :)

11. swguru2004

Nov 17, 2003
    I am always down for Hooters....heheh

12. Harlock415

Harlock415 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2003
    Chinese New Year Parade.

13. Skatou-Laki

Skatou-Laki Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 18, 2003
    Hilo =)

Sorry I've been absent for a while, aside from working I've been settling into my new place and doing a lot of wedding planning (March 10th! Can't wait!)

I'll be at Wondercon on Saturday for all the Star Wars stuff. I heard Peter Mayhew was going to be there, but does anyone know more? Also is anything going on after the Star Wars fan films on Saturday around 11pm?

It's going to be good to see you guys again. I JUST found out that I've been getting messages here! D'oh! Sorry to all those who have been writing me, I didn't even know that you could get private messages. (o_O)

14. Skatou-Laki

Skatou-Laki Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 18, 2003
    Oh, one more thing...aside from Timothy Zahn and Peter Mayhew, are there going to be any other Star Wars celebs/authors/artists at Wondercon?

15. elmoizme

elmoizme Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 27, 2005
    Some pics I posted of today

http://www.goldengategarrison.com/gallery-members/Wondercon-2006-Day-1

16. swguru2004

Nov 17, 2003
    Cool to hang out with everyone today. Superman panel was awesome as well as V for Vendetta

17. AniSkylover

AniSkylover Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 5, 2001
    nice pix :)

any news from the Sansweet talk?

18. Ms_Skywalker

Ms_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 17, 2005
    It was great seeing everyone and especially the costumes! My favorite was the Steve Sansweet/SW presentation. I'll have to see V for Vendetta soon!

19. JediRacer

JediRacer Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 5, 2000
    Yes!! Any important (or not so important) announcements?

20. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    This is not the Sansweet talk you're looking for.

21. skye_solo

skye_solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2004
    I thought Wondercon was pretty fun. Sounds like the Star Wars category didn't have as much for it as before, but I guess that's to be expected since the prequels are over. I don't remember anything super exciting from the Sansweet panel. Some people think now that the live action tv show is to take place during the OT, but I think that was a misjudgement of what he said about the show. Or maybe that was a question asked during the ? part of the panel. I think most of us left when the questions started...but I heard someone talking about that fact on another website about the Sansweet panel. I don't personally remember any such mention.
    Really can't wait for Superman Returns, and V For Vendetta. Kevin Smith was great as usual. I think Clerks 2 will be good.
    On to next year!

22. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    Oh, smeggin' glory! They showed what looks like the completed, nd I hope final cut of V for Vendetta on Saturday night. All I can say is that it makes up for all the past Allan Moore adaptaton failures. If it is released as it it is certainly on of the most intelligent action films in a long time. For those thinking it's going to be full of Matrix style special effects, it won't. I kept thinking of Pink Floyd's "The Wall" movie in how fascism and totalitariansm can come to England.

This movie will no doubt annoy conservatives on both sides of the pond.

23. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Hi Guys - sorry I didn't make it out to the con on Sunday. I was beat :( The thought of driving over an hour to San Francisco for a 4th day in a row just did't appeal to me.

I was pretty sure Mr. Sansweet said the live action show would take place between Episode III and A New Hope, with a focus on minor characters. He said it was too soon to say which characters it might be, as this show is probably going to be in the works for a few years. He did say that we may occasionally get teaser glimpses of main characters exiting a room as a scene begins. Someone from the audience asked if television actors such as Jimmy Smits and the actor who played Grand Moff Tarkin (Wayne Pygram) would reprise their roles. I think Mr. Sansweet's response was that because the series takes place some time after Ep III that these actors might not appear be the 'right age'. Perhaps that is where people inferred that the series would take place closer to the time of ANH, however I don't think that's what Mr. Sansweet meant to imply.

No C4 announcement yet. The I's are not dotted yet on contracts, so the most he could say is that due to the popular demand from fans there may be a Celebration 4 (in 2007?).

The bulk of the presentation featured the 'bid reels'(I think that's what they were called) that were put together for Special effects work on War of the the Worlds, Harry Potter, and ROTS. These video/film clips are submitted by studios for consideration for various special effects awards, and they show the process of creating the special effects and digital animation added to the film. I believe ILM was awarded for work done on these films, but I don't remember the name of the organization that awarded them (I'd imagine there must be an article at StarWars.com).

- Kay Dee

24. Lord_Darth_Vader

Lord_Darth_Vader Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 13, 2001
    Just wanted to say thanks to all my friends (my extended family) at the SFFF for making it a great weekend at Wondercon. I had a great time, and thanks for all the interviews. They look great. I am going to get all the footage together and edit it this next weekend. Some of the responses are to say the least "interesting." And yes, Peter Mayhew and Kevin Smith will both be on the video as well. I will be burning it to DVDs and giving it to all the clubs.

Thanks again!!

25. elmoizme

elmoizme Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 27, 2005
    Posted by Bob Lai in the GGG yahoo groups. Blog in the SF Chronicle about Wondercon.
    SFFF and 501st mentioned.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/indexn?blogid=3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.