main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hou, TX Woodlands Tinseltown manager - RIDICULOUS!!!

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by DECO_DROID, Jun 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DECO_DROID

DECO_DROID Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 13, 2002
    is it okay to say the woodlands s-u-c-k-s?here's the deal.

we went to see aotc last night at the woodlands tinseltown with a few relatives that live in that area. the show started at 7:50 and we got there at right about that time. i didn't go in costume, but i did wear my star wars weekends shirt and brought along my plasma lightsaber. once we got our tickets, i fired up the saber and we headed toward the "ticket-taker guy". he points us in the direction of the theater, and then, out of nowhere i hear this, "TURN THAT THING OFF BEFORE YOU ENTER THE THEATER". i turn around and it's a middle aged guy who looks like a manager or something. so i say, "no problem" and we head down the hall. now, he wasn't yelling, but it just came off as very rude! remember, the anh line, "where are you taking this...thing?" is sounded a lot like that!

i thought later that i should have asked him what his problem was. i mean, of course i'm not going to be lighting it up DURING THE MOVIE!!! has this been a big problem for them - people bringing lightsabers and refusing to turn them off? i don't think so - this was simply an anti-star wars person trying to rain on our parade. we were smiling, having a good time, and then he makes a ridiculous statement like that. i guess tinseltown is doing well enough that they don't need to treat their PAYING CUSTOMERS decently.

if you knew me well, you would know i am not the type of person that looks for problems or gets into confrontations, so for me to be writing this at all is unusual.

well, i guess you want to know the "rest of the story", right? i did not turn the saber off! we walked right into the theater with that green blade leading the way! as we walked up the steps, there were many small children pointing, oohhing and ahhing. i heard one little girl say, "look mommy, a real lightsaber!" we found our seats, and i turned it off. no one complained, no riots and no mayhem ensued because of it.

i'm not angry or fuming over this, i just thought i should let the local fans know to be on the lookout for this guy, though many of you are on the other side of town.

feel free to comment or to let this thread drift down to the bottom of the topic list. i have a few other "mean people from the woodlands" stories, but perhaps another time...

2. goldbubbly

goldbubbly Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 5, 2002
    wow [face_shocked] I'll keep that in mind when i go to the tinseltown in the woodlands.

3. bebo_lokk

bebo_lokk Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 16, 2001
    What do you mean you don't look for problems or confrontations! You tried to take my head off at the premiere with that...thing.
    [face_silly} Just kidding of course. As many SW fans that exist, always will there be the anti-SW personna. If you visit the costuming boards, there are people that wear Jedi garb in public for no specific reason and get harrassed by some of the aforemntioned and of course there are those that think it's the neatest thing since sliced bread.

4. DECO_DROID

Mar 13, 2002
    that's a good one, buck.

i'll have to check out the costuming boards sometime...i bet the people that wear jedi outfits all the time don't live in texas - the heat would do them in, forget about the hecklers!

5. goldbubbly

goldbubbly Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 5, 2002
    oh no, heat means nothing. I have two friends that are really into the renaissance fair and they wear their ren costumes around for the heck of it. If anyone here went to the AMC 24 in willowbrook opening day around 5pm showing and saw the two chicks in ren costume, i was with them. Alot of people asked if we were in a play...

6. IB420

IB420 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 11, 2002
    Deco, being both a huge SW fan and a movie theater operator, I can say that the dude probably is not so much "anti Star Wars" as underpaid and mistreated . . . . Cinemark/Tinseltown don't pay beans, and they treat you like bantha poodoo on top of that. (believe me, I know from experience)

Underpaid theater staff tend to get touchy about illuminating objects in dark theaters, because then they have to deal with any complaints form other customers, who are usually pretty dang annoying.

However, that does not give him license to be so rude to you. I'd suggest filing a complaint with the corporate office about the rude staff. It may not do much for you, but maybe the guy will try and be a little nicer to his avid moviegoers.

7. Darth Dorky

Darth Dorky Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 5, 2000
    Remember, for every considerate person such as yoursefl there are a lot more that would prefer to disrupt someone else's movie going experience.

I'm sure this guy has to deal with this alot, cell phones(the ones with all the led lights that have personeally bugged me at the movies), laser pens, and whatever else the odd mischeivious punk may want to bring to the movies.

So I wouldn't take it as an anti-star wars stance rather, like IB420 said, a person who does not want to have to go into the theater and deal with it later while the movie is going.

I wouldn't want that job for any amount of money, I would get arrested for going nuts on some laser pointing, noise making doofus :D

8. DECO_DROID

Mar 13, 2002
    interesting, IB,
    this was the first tinseltown in which i have seen aotc. in comparison, the employees at amc and edwards theaters have been sooo nice to we, the costumed fans. so if tinseltowners are underpaid, that may be understandable.
    on the other hand, i worked at wal-mart for a few years and as you could guess, was not paid that well for what we had to deal with, but i didn't treat people worse because of that.

that's funny, goldy. my wife used to work at the renfest, and would dress up for that, so she is pretty much responsible for getting me into dressing up for star wars. but we still don't wear our costumes in the heat. they are just so heavy!

and as we all know, heat is the path to the dark side - heat leads to sweating, sweating leads to stink, stink leads to suffering...

9. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Actually, yes, I have seen people waving lightsabers in the theater during a SW movie. It is very annoying. Sure, he should have asked politely and not yelled at you, but I'm glad they are mindful of that.

10. Vadersnoghri

Vadersnoghri Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2002
    Out of all of the times I went to the theater to see Star Wars, everytime anyone had a lighsaber, they always turned it off and it made the experience more fun. I know about dealing with people, and there was no reason the manager should have been rude to you. Most SW fans are very nice, and are always curtious when watching a movie, so I am sure it was only that manager. I agree that you should call the corporate office.
    When I go around to different theaters to watch AOTC, and i will boycott that theater.

MTFBWY

11. dracula766

dracula766 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2002
    What you shoulda done was turn around sloooowly ...
    walk up to him sloooooowly...
    get right up in his face slooooowly...
    then quickly yell

HEY!!!!

then ask him politely if he happens to have saber envy ;)

12. Vadersnoghri

Vadersnoghri Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2002
    Saber envy, thats a good one. [face_laugh]

13. DECO_DROID

Mar 13, 2002
    thanks for the input, everyone

now, buckle up for this...
    i know we shouldn't expect that much from the media and critics, but has anyone seen the new tv promo for an animated movie which i believe is called "spirit"??? i just saw it for the first time last night. basically, it looked like a horse running around in the woods.

well, one of the catch phrases they are using to promote this film is "TWICE AS MUCH ACTION AS STAR WARS-ATTACK OF THE CLONES!" i could not believe it!!! THIS kind of movie is dumping on star wars now! i mean, it's not even a major film - it's made by one of those disney-wannabe studios!

did anyone else here see the promo? maybe i'm taking this too seriously. i'm just tired of people ragging on star wars every time i turn around. it's almost like it's the cool thing to do now...

14. DECO_DROID

Mar 13, 2002
    anyone........?

15. crystala

crystala Jedi Master star 1

May 7, 2002
    I have seen the promos for it, but don't recall that catch phrase. Usually I ignore phrases like that. Most of them are either too silly or too far-fetched for me to believe.

16. Pandarsson

Pandarsson Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2002
    A few things.

First, I know how you feel. The Three Musketeers was the LAST time I take a sword to a movie theatre. Don't even get me started about the last gunslinger movie that came out.

And people are so ridiculous in their arbitrary judgments. For instance, they think JUST because you wear skull makeup, a priest shirt and satanic jewelry,

(http://www.lejion.com/lejion12.jpg)

that there's something wrong with you.

Back to reality now, I've been underpaid and harrassed all my life. I still don't let someone have it until they prove they really need it.

About the ad for "Spirit", they were quoting a reviewer who had something favorable to say. Maybe the reviewer was a shmuck, but that would be (to me) a pretty good compliment for a film if you give that much of a damn about action in a movie.

17. Queenie Amidala

Queenie Amidala Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 7, 2000
    [face_laugh] I've seen that ad. I laugh every time I hear that. Given, I have not seen Spirit. But, honestly. C'mon! I need to watch it more closely next time and see where that quote actually came from.

18. bebo_lokk

bebo_lokk Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 16, 2001
    That quote came from the Ft.Worth newspaper (critic) I guess.

19. BabyPadme

BabyPadme Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 28, 2002
    nope...i havent heard of it...then again....i havent been to the movies in a while and i havent watched the english channels in a while....when you say animation...do you mean chartoon or anime? i get comfused with both....well not when i see them....but when people talk about them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.