main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive > Worship's Art - Updated Feb.08.07 - Mara Jade + Stormtrooper + Thank-you!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Your_Worshipfulness, May 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Tenel-Ka-

-Tenel-Ka- Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Oh WOW~ O_O

That Jacen picture is incredible! :D Like it's been stated, he looks like the perfect mix of Han and Leia. Is there any way I could put that on my Jacen fansite in the fanart section? With credit to you, naturally! ;D

2. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    :eek: Wow! Your last drawings are fantastic!!=D= Especially Jacen. I love his hair. I hate drawing hair--it is so hard. I wish I could draw hair as well as you do.

The shadowing in the pencil drawing is fantastic, but I really love the color version.

Padme is great also!

Wonderful job!

AG88

3. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    Your new stuff looks really great!

I really like the Jacen one, and the Amidala in all her regal makeup is really nice. How a woman could ever wear that much and still act natural is beyond me.

4. BIEREN

BIEREN Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 12, 2005
    I took some time this morning and went through some of your work. there is a ton of original and neat art there. You are really good at detail and I liked the "amina" stuff 9not sure if that is the right spelling for anima.

5. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    It's been ages since I was last in your thread! Your Jacen pencil-drawing is gorgeous; lots of personality, a real feeling of contact with his eyes as he gazes out of the picture, and the texture of his jumper is excellent.

My only criticsm would be that the jet-black border is too dark for the picture and knocks it back too much - I think a lighter tone would work better overall.

The coloured version works great, his eyes especially benefit from the colouring; the cold blue/white of the white of the eye really throws the warm brown of the iris forward, and they really seem to gleam.

I'm impressed with the speed you did the Amidala pen/watercolour, I think it turned out rather well. They eyes again are the standout - you make them very realistic, very intense.

Anime Amidala is very cute, and very well detailed (I think I would have thrown in the towel when it came to her gown's decorations - I get nervous just looking at it). I love the fine brush-strokes you used to describe the fur around her shoulders - it looks superb.

6. Your_Worshipfulness

Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    SpiritofEowyn
    Thank-you! :D Sometimes I think the hair doesn't quite fit but realistic is my goal. I appreciate the comments on the details. Thanks for looking and commenting!

FalconFan
    Wow, I find it really surprising that you (as well as others) think that it actually looks like his parents. :eek: Maybe a teeny bit of Han - as that's what I had in mind - but not much of Leia. See, what caused me so much trouble was that his expression was supposed to be different. My original idea was a bit of a lopsided smirk that I thought would do so well to say "Hi, I'm Han Solo's kid", but...it just didn't work. *sigh* I couldn't get it to sit right for the life of me, and it's because I couldn't get what I set out for is why I'm dissapointed with it. Each time I tried to fix it, more of the smirk was taken off. However, I must say that I do like how you've described it - amibiguous, enigmatic. AND, the more that I think about it, the more that I realize that maybe that's kind of fitting since he's usually 'closed off' in the force and many times seems unreadable to others.

Amidala Watercolour - Easiness'...Yeah, I guess it kind of was, but that's only becuase I spent the most time and effort on just the face. That's all you really need. I used to draw solely in pen all the time and I think it really helps because it forces you to get things right the first time since you can't go back and fix it. Challenging and fun. It's nice that you like what I considered to be a very sloppy paint job. :p There's really only two things to keep in mind - Use lot's of water & little paint for the 'translucent' look, and lot's of paint & Less water for for bright and opaque. (simply take out most of the water from the brush by dabbing it in kleenex before you hit the paper which is easy as pie. :) )

(and I understand completely about getting sick and tired of something, lol! Wanna have a go at finishing my Clone Wars Obi Wan piece, and I'll finish something for you...? )
    Don't joke around because that is incredibly tempting. :p

SilSolo
    Wow, "So perfect!"? Thank-you! The only thing that bothers me about the anime Amidala is that the pen almost looks fuzzy in the scanned version and I have no idea why. Grrr.

TheOnlyJediPrincess
    Aw, thanks for the reassurance and thanks for reminding me that just because it didn't meet my exprectations so to speak, doesn't mean that it's terrible. [:D] I'm sorry, I sounded like a big whiney baby :p Like I said, it's just that I'm dissapointed that I couldn't get what I was going for in the beginning. At least it was good practice - and learning experience.

-Tenel-Ka-
    Thanks! :) Wow, I'm so happy you like him - especially coming from someone who has a fansite devoted to him. I'd be thrilled to have him added to you site. Thanks so much! :rose

academygrad88
    Thanks AG88! I totally feel the same way - Drawing hair is hard. I actually had to go back and rework it, so it's nice that it turned out to be a worth while effort. I've also discovered why I could never work in a Hair Salon - I really can't style hair that well - especially Men's hair. :p

Mitth_Fisto
    Thanks! :)
    "How a woman could ever wear that much and still act natural is beyond me."
    Lol, tell me about it. Besides the massive head piece, it must have been weird.

BIEREN
    "You are really good at detail and I liked the "amina" stuff 9not sure if that is the right spelling for anima."

Are you refering to the more animated style of work? I think the word your looking for is 'Anime' (an-ee-may) then. It was sort of hard for me to classify since I tend to consider my own style to be somewhat influenced in the anime style, while still drawing in a full blown Anime/Manga style (like the ESB Leia at the bottom on pg1) for others. So I decided to put them in separate sections. Thanks for the really nice comment on them though - especially on the details :D. I really do appreciate you taking the time in the

7. rocketscientist

rocketscientist Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 16, 2005
    Very nice Your_Worshipfulness! I like your color choices. I love watercolors - haven't done any in a long time myself. Looking at this makes me want to. I'm wondering if I see a little rippling of the paper? If it is, I recommend Bloacks watercolor paper. You'll love it!

I really like the openness of the penwork too.

8. Cara_Undercover_Jedi

Cara_Undercover_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2006
    *Pants breathlessly* :eek:

That.Is. AMAZING!!!

Bravo! =D==D==D=

9. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    FalconFan wrote: Wanna have a go at finishing my Clone Wars Obi Wan piece, and I'll finish something for you...?

Your_Worshipfulness wrote: "Don't joke around because that is incredibly tempting."

[face_dancing][face_dancing]

Done!!

Just let me know when you want a copy of it to start! :D

**wonders what Y_W will give her in exchange...?** ;)

FF

10. Your_Worshipfulness

May 21, 2005
    rocketscientist
    Thanks so much! Oooo, A fellow fan of watercolours, I see? That's the only type of paint I ever touch. :p I'd love to see what you'd come up with, so do think about whipping something up. :D

I'm wondering if I see a little rippling of the paper? If it is, I recommend Bloacks watercolor paper. You'll love it!

Yeah, there is some rippling. I just used regular sketch paper since it wasn't anything I deemed to be important. I really hadn't planned on using watercolours in the first place - it was a spur of the moment thing. I don't think I've ever heard of Bloacks before though. I have Canson Watercolour paper, but even when I use that, I still get rippling (in some cases mega-rippling). I think it's just the way I handle them - meaning I probably use them wrong, lol.

Cara_Undercover_Jedi
    Thanks you so much! Nice to hear such kind comments on Jacen. I hope you're breathing okay over there, lol. :p

FF
    Done!!

Just let me know when you want a copy of it to start!

**wonders what Y_W will give her in exchange...?**

Oh, my. What have I signed up for? lol. You can give it a go with my second attempt with Corran (he's driving me mad). :p I hate drawing men. [face_frustrated]

First off, everything I know about this character is what I read on the wiki site. I have never read a book in which she was featured in and to be perfectly honest, I...really don't care to - Sorry Callie fans *looks around for any evil glares*. Her character doesn't interest me so much. :p Besides, I'm an L/M fan so I'm supposed to hate her, right?

Anywho, this was inpsired by a model in a hair dye advertisement I came across in a magazine. I really wanted to try and draw a character with short bangs for a change and thought she'd be the perfect candidate. Also need to mention that I used PS to slightly move the right eye becasue it was a bit wonky (had a lot of trouble with that [face_angry] ). So here she is...

[link=http://members.lycos.co.uk/studiosifer/swfan2/CallistaMing-bw.jpg]Callista Ming[/link] | [link=http://members.lycos.co.uk/studiosifer/swfan2/CallistaMing-cl.jpg]Callista Ming[/link] (Colour) - [b][color=gray] Pencils/PS[/color][/b]

Um, I think I might have gone too light on the shading in the coloured version.

Any comments always appreciated. Thanks so much for coming in to take a look.

- Suz ^_~

11. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    That's a smooth Callista pic. I really like the hair

12. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I think that looks really good. The graphite portrait was good in the first place, but the coloured picture is even stronger! As far as criticsm goes, there isn't much I can point to. I think the necklaces look a little flat, and the skin-tone is a little weak compared to the deep blacks of the hair and clothing, but I don't know... it kind of gives the whole piece a stained-glass-window style.

Very nice piece of work. =D=

13. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    **fumes insanely**

:_|

I can't see them again!!! :_| Every single time I clear cookies and temp files this happens... :_| Guess I'll have to battle with my browser for a while before I can look at these, Suz--I can't wait, though, after reading soits comments! :D

**kicks system unit soundly**

FF

14. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    Wow! Your Callista looks great! But yeah I've read the books with her in them and frankly you aren't missing much besides Luke running around like a cross between a lost puppy and a chicken with it's head cut off. In case you can't tell I really like the L/M setup.

15. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Wow! Nice stuff! All I know about Callista is that she had a thing for Luke, but that's about it. I think you did an excellent job putting a face to the character, though. I envy your nice, smooth lines and the shading is perfect. Her jaw may perhaps be a little gaunt, but overall, I don't think it's that much of a problem.

And again, wonderful job handling the coloring in PS. You can't even see the pencil strokes underneath - something I'm struggling with. Do you have any tips on overcoming that?

Wonderful piece all around! =D=

16. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Excellent job with Callista. I have seen a couple 'official' drawings of her and you are pretty much on the mark.

She is not a favorite character of mine. I really didn't like the way she came into Luke's life. I think fans would have been much more receptive of her if maybe she was frozen in carbonite and thawed out on the Eye of Palpatine. For me the body snatching and living in a computer for 30 years just creeped me out.

Anyway, I had been hoping for Luke and Mara to hook up since TTT. So Callista just got in the way.

But, you did do a great job capturing her likeness.

Great job!

AG88

17. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    [face_dancing][face_dancing]

I can see Callista!!! It took me most of the night, trying to access it through many avenues, but finally it came up! I still can't get through to the colored version, but will keep trying; in the meantime, I saved a copy of the pencil piece and can finally gush about it at my leisure! :p

First of all: Wow!!

I love the detailing in this one, Suz--her clothing and jewelry are especially lovely: the sort of puckered fabric of her tunic and robe look like a fine silk, with that same luster--the necklaces are just beautiful, with so many intricate little touches and patterns (one might wonder if some of the patterns on the center one are from her homeworld of Chad...). I love the way you've done her hair, with the layers and "sweeps;" so pretty! And that sweet, almost coy smile is a wonderful expression (the little dimple in her right cheek is just wonderful!)! I love this (and will keep trying to get to the colored one as well... [face_frustrated] )--it's just beautiful (and I'm sure the Callista fans will be positively giddy to see this!)!

FF

18. rocketscientist

Nov 16, 2005
    Worship! Your Callista is absolutely beautiful! I love the line quality! She is very light but I think it works quite well with the style you are using. Her expression is very Puckish - she looks like a bit of a firebrand. [face_mischief]

Oh and sorry - it's D'Arches block watercolor paper ( I don't know what planet I was on) - I defy anyone to make that stuff wrinkle, no matter how wet you get it.

19. mMathab

mMathab Jedi Master star 1

Apr 23, 2001
    Callista Ming ... b&w I was like ... "ok maybe, why not" and when I looked at the color version I was like "Gasp! Now I have to say something!". So this is my little something. Then I went back in the history of the thread and I saw your Jaina version based on Caroline Dhavernas and Jacen. This is a very good trio. I hope you will keep the same style for a while and expand the set.

20. rocketscientist

Nov 16, 2005
    Excellent colorizing! =D=

21. Your_Worshipfulness

May 21, 2005
    SilSolo
    Thanks! :D The hair was actually a lot of fun to do because I had to partially stylize it myself, which could have been a bad thing (hair isn't my area of expertise), but there haven't been any negative comments about it so I guess I did okay. :p

soitscometothis
    The graphite portrait was good in the first place, but the coloured picture is even stronger!

That statement surprises me because I feel that I SUCK at colouring, lol. I greatly appreciate it though! The thought of it having a sort of Stain glass window look to it didn't occur to me at all. I guess it kind of does.

"...and the skin-tone is a little weak compared to the deep blacks of the hair and clothing..."

Darn, I knew I went too dark there. :oops: I was originally going to shade the entire left side of the face too, but I thought it was too much and that she might end up looking oddly menacing...or psychotic (because of the smile).

Oh, and on a side note, I decided to simply remove the black border on the graphite versions altogether, saving it for only the colored versions instead. ;) Also fixed up the painting of Callie a little and the stuff that was bugging me. I just haven't uploaded all these things yet because I'm too lazy to be bothered to at the moment. :p

Mitth_Fisto
    Thanks a lot, Mitth! And thanks for pretty much rounding up what happened in the books with her featured. Now I know for a fact I don't want to read them. :p I'm a big L/M fan me-self. :)

HanSolo29
    Thank-you so much! Oh, I see what you're talking about with the jaw. I don't know how to fix it though without it looking off. I tried several times but nothing, and I mean nothing looked right. Grrr.

"And again, wonderful job handling the coloring in PS. You can't even see the pencil strokes underneath - something I'm struggling with. Do you have any tips on overcoming that? "

Thanks! Eee, I'm not sure if I'm the best person to be asking for tips from though...I majorly SUCK at explaining this stuff.

Um, if you don't want pencil strokes, you're going to have to paint over them by creating a layer over the actual image instead of painting underneath. Darn, You see, I kind of painted this all wrong though - I created layers above the image, and set those to Multiply when I should have done it the other way around. (I'm dumb :p) doing that isn't so smart when the time comes around for painting in a BG.

Anyways, tips...okay...

1) Scan big. Scan very big. It's so much easier painting pictures when they're nice and big.

2) Clean up your artwork a little. By this, I mean head over to Image > Adjustments > Levels. Try to fix up the image a little so that you lighten up some of the grey. Don't go to crazy though. (I happened to also duplicate the image and set it to Soft light too.)

3) I'm assuming that you paint with the method of having your artwork on the top-most layer set on Multiply, while doing all the painting underneath. I mostly use that for the base colours of each area only (skin, robe, hair, etc.). Then I'll create layers ABOVE the actual artwork, and paint over it that way.

4) Painting - I like to use the Hard Round brush at a low opacity (around 20% or so but that's not set in stone), and then use the smudging tool to blend it around to my liking. It's kind of a judgemeny call on what strength setting you want to use, but I usually keep it around anywhere from 30%-50% switchin between the Soft and Hard Round brushes. This way it stays a little transparent.

For the skin though, I'll make another layer on top and use the Soft Round brush (very low opacity - 10% or so) and paint over so that it looks more smooth. I'll add as many strokes as I like, but not too much or you will lose all the tones.

Side note: When using the brush, sometimes it's helpful to change the brush mode. I often use Multiply for some really good dark shade, and Screen or Color Dodge for some great highlights.

5) Layers - Please use multip

22. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    I love the coloured version! :D Beautiful portrait... I'm not a Callista fan, but this is still an absolutely wonderful drawing, and I do like the light shading. :p :) I also really like the details of her clothing and I love her hair! It looks so realstic!

Fantastic job! =D=

23. EveyLou

EveyLou Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 1, 2006
    wow your work is awesome totally beautiful =D=

24. Darth_Snuggle

Darth_Snuggle Jedi Master star 2

Jun 5, 2005
    I know squat about the character too, but that is a realy nice portrait! :)

25. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Thank you very much, Suz, seriously! [:D]

I do use PS and with the Multiply method, but I actually have the layer with the artwork on the bottom and I have my color layers on top of that. Now I need to do another drawing and experiment with this coloring method. Or better yet, use one of my existing ones.

The thing I'm trying to do is use the pencil strokes as a base for the color and well, I haven't been having much success. Hopefully you're method will help clear things up. Thanks again! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.