main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Writers and directors for shows already hired

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by The2ndQuest , May 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    'Star Wars' creator sending his troops to the Presidio George Lucas' empire moves into the future

"He's letting go," Chau said in an interview at Big Rock Ranch, another of the company's offices in the rolling hills of rural west Marin County. Lucas has already hired a handful of writers and directors to work on two new "Star Wars" television projects, she said. "Part of George letting go is saying, 'There's all these great stories to tell, and I don't have to tell all the stories.' For the sake of the business, you don't want him to tell all the stories," she said. "You want to bring in a bench of talent.

"We do have to exist after George. He's not going to live forever. The man's in his early 60s."

2. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    Lets hope by chance there are some Mutant Enemy or Farscape writers on this.

3. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Or some of the Dark Horse Star Wars crew....

4. dudalb

dudalb Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2001
    He should hire the people who wrote the "Holiday Special"....

5. hansen

hansen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    If any previous Mutant Enemy writers are involved in these projects, it'll be impossible for them to go wrong. Drew Goddard, David Fury, Tim Minear, Jeffrey Bell, Jane Espenson, the list of amazing writers who have worked on ME-shows are endless.

Anyway, I'm basically rambling, and I actually don't expect any particulary well-known writers to be involved with these projects. Excluding people who have worked with George and Lucasfilm before, that is...

6. gbonkers

gbonkers Jedi Youngling star 2

May 31, 2004
    As long as they get the fans to write them...

7. dudalb

Jun 14, 2001
    It sure worked great when they lets the fans take over the last Star Trek movie.....
    SOrry, but the "fans" are the last people in the world I would trust to write a TV series, unless they have a good track record in writing for TV and Movies.
    Making the show like fan fiction is a sure recipe for disaster.

8. Circle_Is_Complete

Circle_Is_Complete Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2005
    So hansen, basically Buffy/Angel writers?

9. hansen

hansen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    I was just listing potential Mutant Enemy writers I wouldn't mind seeing writing Star Wars. There are obviously many other writers out there that would be equally good.

10. Maul_Loves_Ventress

Maul_Loves_Ventress Jedi Youngling

Apr 14, 2005

Honestly, the Dark Horse people have done more justice to the Star Wars Universe than nearly ANYONE in the last 20 years-with the noted, obvious exceptions of Dave Wolverton and Tim Zahn. I shudder to imagine most TV writers' takes on SW, ESPECIALLY the Buffy and Angel writers...

Frankly, the only way to do this thing right is to do an extensive dramatic cable series, like Band of Brothers. GOOD, well written seasons, with distinct beginnings and ends, and with the next season, take up with completely brand new characters, and a different setting and story. The open ended Star Trek approach gets boring and repetitive, and I can't stand the possibility of that happening to SW.

11. dee_dee24m

dee_dee24m Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 20, 2003
    That remark by that Chu guy about Lucas being in his 60s gives the impression that Lucas is only a few days away from senility and/or death's door. Which is silly. And a little tasteless.

The Total Film SW special remarked on a 'rumour' which is probaly old hat to most posters here, that Kevin Smith was hired to do the pilot, and that Lucasfilm didn't deny it....

(personally i hope that rumour is just that, a rumour)

12. HanJones

HanJones Jedi Master star 2

Nov 26, 2002
    The guy who wrote the "Holiday Special" is Pat Proft who made it big with the Naked Gun and Hot Shots! movies. With that knowledge in hand, the way the "Holiday Special" turned out makes a lot of sense now, doesn't it?

13. dudalb

Jun 14, 2001
    I love what Dark Horse has done with "Star Wars"...it is one of the few EU items I actually like....but I think their lack of experience in writing for television might be a handicap. Just because you can write for one medium does not mean you have the technical skills to write in another. A good setup might be the Dark Horse people with a experienced TV/Film writer to help them with the specific demands of writing for Television, which is totally different then writing for comics.For one thing, you have budget and time restrictions to worry about in writing for TV, which you do not have for Comics.

14. OldMcJedifarmer

OldMcJedifarmer Jedi Youngling

May 17, 2005
    you guys are also forgetting the babylon 5 writers, I am just hoping the story line will have a huge arch over 5 years just like that show. But it is hard to think what Lucus wants.

15. jaguaro

jaguaro Jedi Youngling star 1

May 16, 2005
    I really hope Star Wars doesnt become like Star Trek. I hope Lucas always has a tight rein on what is being produced and that it all takes place within a set time. Could you imagine a Rick Berman type of dufus in charge?

I guess one thing thats comforting is that Lucas actually owns the property, so he doesnt have to do things for the sake of some suits upstairs.

16. dudalb

Jun 14, 2001
    Rick Berman of the Dark Side is....
    A great TV Series has he corrupted....
    Lucas will not let Berman within a hundred light years of Star Wars after the fiasco of "Enterprise" and the last two Star Trek movies. Guranteed.

17. Kakkaraun

Kakkaraun Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2005
    <<The Total Film SW special remarked on a 'rumour' which is probaly old hat to most posters here, that Kevin Smith was hired to do the pilot, and that Lucasfilm didn't deny it....

(personally i hope that rumour is just that, a rumour)>>

Me too. I'm a huge Kevin Smith fan, and he does Clerks-type stuff damn well. But I dunno if he'd do SW very well. In fact, I don't think he would.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.