main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC WTF is an E-Cigarette?

Discussion in 'Community' started by yankee8255, Feb 16, 2012.

1. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    link

So I was channel-surfing a few weeks ago when I saw an infomercial for what appeared to be a cigarette being plugged in to a computer via a USB cable. I didn't have time to watch long enough to hear an explanation of what it was, but the blurb I saw indicated that it has some sort of health benefit over traditional cancer sticks.

WTH are these things? Are these our new robot overlords?

2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=e-cigarette

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Apparently they're supposed to blow up and give you severe burns.

4. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    I already googled it, that's what lead to the link I posted. I was hoping someone in the vast jcc community could enlighten me on what would possess someone with a functioning brain to plug a cigarette into a computer.

5. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    feedback on inhale strength?

yankee8255 likes this.
  6. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Just all-around insightful brilliance as we've come to expect from the JCC.

7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Friend of mine who used to smoke swears by his. The USB plug-in is for recharging.

8. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    as i understand it you have to charge it because it vaporizes some sort of flavored nicotine that tastes like chocolate or vanilla or whatever you want and you do this because you want nicotine and it tastes good.

9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    It basically gives you a nicotine hit without the cancerous bits in real cigarettes. I don't smoke so I haven't used one of these.

10. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    I think they're great. I smoked for over a decade before I decided to try the blu while I was underway in November of 2010. I haven't smoked a "real" cigarette since. I haven't felt any overwhelming urge to "quit". You get the nicotine and the "feel" of smoking but you don't have to deal with the smell or the carcinogens. You also aren't infringing on anyone around you as the water vapor you exhale dissipates within a foot or two you within seconds.

Andrew was right about them needing to be periodically charged. The battery sends an electrical charge through the cartridge, which contains the nicotine, atomizing the nicotine/water mix and creates the "smoke" (water vapor). You can charge the battery in a variety of ways, one of which happens to be a USB charger.

You can't smoke them on planes. Also, earlier versions of the device were activated easily when carried in pockets and the like. This resulted in near-continuous discharge of the battery, resulting in overheating and excessive buildup of pressure in the cartridges. There were reports of exploding cartridges and mild burns from this phenomenon.

My soon-to-be-ex wife and I both tried the e-cig to quit smoking. It works for me. She went back to smoking in fairly short order. So there's some anecdotal success-rate data for ya.

11. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Eh, I recall seeing a number of articles saying that E-cigarettes are really bad for you too =/

12. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Instead of smoking my friends call it vaping. 90% of them that used to smoke actual cigarettes have switched to the e-cigarette. Personally as one of the few non-smokers of my group of friends, I think they are great because I hate the smell of cigarette smoke.

13. Mortimer_Snerd

Mortimer_Snerd Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 14, 2004
    There are good ones and bad ones. The bad ones are available at gas stations and convenience stores everywhere for about $10, and they totally don't work. The good ones are available online and at mall kiosks for about $100 and from what I understand, they can be very effective.

14. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Yeah, two of my friends had the Blu. They returned it. They all have the v2 where the kit costs about $100 online and it comes with the charger and whatnot. They have all been very happy with it.

15. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    [image=http://www.celebrities.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-o-matic/cache/6e2b2_allisonstopalready.gif]

16. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    The Blu, which is what I've been using for a year, costs between $65 and $95 for a starter kit and then you purchase cartridges for about $10/pack. Each pack has 5 cartridges in it, which is like 5 packs of cigarettes. I've been incredibly happy with them.

I have not read any such articles. Then again, no studies have been done so I'd probably question the validity of any such article anyway.

17. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Nicotine replacement has no demonstrated benefit in reducing rates of tobacco dependency.

18. Jack1138

Jack1138 Jedi Master star 5

Jan 8, 2005
    Point made. 10 years ago I got really sick of smoking cigarettes. It got to the point where I quit. There was one problem though, I like to drink beer. Get a beer in me and ...wait for it.... I want a.... wait for it.... A CIGARETTE!!!!

So these days I only want a smoke with a beer, it is like peanut butter and jelly or a Les Paul and a Marshall amp! They just GO TOGETHER!

I am curious about these E-cigs but the good ones just look too pricey. :(

19. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    I don't really give a fig if they help anyone get over their dependency, but it's nice as a non-smoker that they don't smell and don't actually emit smoke.

20. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Agreed. My friend who uses one visits from the US and stays with me. He used to have to go outside for a smoke since as a nonsmoker I don't like the smell. With the e-cig he can 'smoke' inside.

21. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Well it was a while ago and my memory is kinda sketchy....I didn't really pay that much attention. I basically just thought to myself: "Wtf is an E-Cigarette?"

22. wannasee

wannasee Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2007
    Why would anyone buy chocolate or vanilla flavored cigarettes when there are menthol flavored cigarettes available?

23. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I've smoked chocolate flavored cigars (the Phillie blunt brand) before. They're quite good.

Los Angeles Lakers: Drama, guaranteed.

24. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Because of this thread, I got me one today. Better than I thought. You don't get the full buzz of a real ciggy, but as a day-to-day replacement, I can see me continuing to use it

25. TheGuardianofArlon

TheGuardianofArlon Jedi Master star 6

Feb 26, 2007
    We sell these ones called Blu at my work along with another type..

I think its weird