main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

www.SWWildSpace.com

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Design - Sites and Graphics' started by Jedi_Mathan, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Jedi_Mathan

Jedi_Mathan Jedi Youngling

Feb 12, 2009
    I've posted before when there was a separate fan site section but now I have upgraded my site with use of more CSS and Java. Check it out and let me know what you think.

Concept:
    This site is devoted to Star Wars. We have a collection of fan fiction, news updates and gallery art work for everyone to see.

If you're new to the site we recommend reading The Five of Ilo which is our featured fan fiction and feel free to comment and rate them.

By the way, this is not a site under construction or an incomplete site. It has been running since January of this year and development started in August 2008.

http://swwildspace.com/

[image=http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g147/superpacman/Wild%20Space/wildspace-2.gif]

2. Salty

Salty Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 24, 1998
    I really like the color scheme. Layout is pretty tight as well. Ads on the forums are annoying. I'd probably use a self installed forum system as opposed to the free options that throw pop-ups and ads.

Overall well done.

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I agree on the ads. At home I have ad and popup blockers that work fairly well. I don't on the work PC though. I usually don't stay long on sites that have annoying popups that block content unless I really need something from the site.

4. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Well done! :)

Just one hint... the top banner looks like it's cut in the last quarter, since I can only see half of the foreheads of Darth Maul, Sidious, etc.

5. Fallen-Hero

Fallen-Hero Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 5, 2009
    Looks pretty neat overall. Definitely a site I wouldn't mind browsing, although I agree with everyone else, the pop-ups in the forums are kind of annoying. I can live with ads on the top or bottom like on invisionfree.

I'm also with Skiara, is it normal that we only see their foreheads?

6. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    I just noticed the banner. It definitely looks like it's cut off by the box the banner is in.

7. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Just to clarify that this isn't merely a site advertisement (which is against the rules), would you care to explain some of the design aspects of the site that were implemented, or perhaps get a little more specific in regards to what type of coding you used?

8. Destined_Jedi

Destined_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 29, 2002
    The dark gray text in the "Random News" section is a bit difficult to read--you may consider using a lighter color there. Overall, pretty clean layout.

9. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    I curious about the blogging software being used.

10. Jedi_Mathan

Feb 12, 2009
    Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I apologize for the late reply, I've been out of town. I can only be brief right now, but I'll reply in much more detail tomorrow for sure.

Agreed the forum is a free service I am using from http://www.bravenet.com/ and I am definitely going to upgrade/switch to AD FREE as soon as I can get more funding for the site and as traffic increases.

For the banner, yes I am sorry! It used to fit until I had to modify it because the menu wasn't displaying correctly on Internet Explorer browsers. This will most likely be my first fix.

As for the issue with random news, the links are dark because I'm using an external source to generate that code. I'm still experimenting with this and I think I've figured out how to fix it.

And last one for today, I am using Blogger to to host the site. So technically it's a "blog" but there are ways around their blog concept to make web sites instead, which means I am using other sources to store my images, script, and other miscellaneous things.

Sorry for the short and late responses, I will update again most likely tomorrow. I am glad you enjoy the site and look forward to improving.

Jedi Mathan

11. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    How do you like bravenet.com? Would you recommend it to aspiring website operators?

12. DarkLordZor

DarkLordZor Jedi Master

Jan 25, 2005
    very, very professinal looking. I like the fan service.

-DLZ

13. Jedi_Mathan

Feb 12, 2009
    Hi there!

Bravenet.com is a service based website that offers tools and web hosting to create your own site from scratch using their own template editor or upload your files via FTP. They offer free and paid services such as forums, e-mail forms, and photo albums to name a few. Would I "recommend it to aspiring website operators?"

I would say yes for those just starting out. It's a good site to test out fundamental HTML and adding tools to enhance your site. The downside are sub-domains(free sites) will not be recognized by search engines like Google(or at least not for a long time) and PHP is disabled for basic membership. A big plus is that if you have an entire website saved on your computer, you can use FTP to import it on to the web.

Thank you to those who enjoyed our site and we always try to reply to your inquires promptly.

By the way, if you are interested in being involved with the SWWildSpace directly please read this.

http://pub42.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=3579791761&frmid=816&msgid=1067663&cmd=show

14. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    You definitely have a good base of operations going there. Hopefully the site will continue to expand.

15. Jedi_Mathan

Feb 12, 2009
    Hey everyone,

I haven't been here in a while but I have made some changes to the site. Actually I changed the whole dynamic of it from being a site to more of a blog--news, fan fictions, and art work is still the main focus. We need new creative minds and new personalities so I invite all writers, bloggers, web masters, etc. to be a part of SWWildSpace.com.

We currently have two authors, including myself, with 90 posts and growing. But we'd like to see more especially from new people who are interested in posting Star Wars news, great finds ("5 Star Wars Status Updates"), funny photos to post--with proper acknowledgment of the source, reviews/critiques of The Clone Wars episodes, and so on. We also have a section for Fan Fiction and Art Work.

So if you are interested in being an author, you just need a Google account--Gmail, Youtube, etc.. and I'll send you an invite. Feel free to PM me. Thanks for reading, and until next time.

www.swwildspace.com

Matt

16. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    Brief reminder that isn't an advertising board. Please try to stay away from that or I'll have to lock the thread. Thanks. :)

17. Jedi_Mathan

Feb 12, 2009
    Duly noted.

18. Jedi_Mathan

Feb 12, 2009
    Hi everyone,

Haven't been in here for a while, but just wanted to get some feed back on how i can improve the layout. I have my site hosted at Blogger, and as you may know it isn't the greatest and most flexible platform to use -- if we get bigger maybe I'll transfer to WordPress or maybe even Drupal or Joomla -- but for now just wanted any advice to what you think could improve the site's look/functionality.

Remove features? Add features?

Matt

19. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    I'd actually suggest you jump ship to Word Press now. What host you use for a blog like this really doesn't have anything to do with size, IMO, and Word Press is just all around more superior, again IMO of course. I think you'd attract more viewers with the sleek Word Press designs.