main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

X-Men: First Class (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by The2ndQuest , Dec 17, 2009.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I wasn't interested in this film at all...but Bryan Singer just revealed that he'll returning to direct it! I just wish they'd let him remake X3, but that'll never happen. Oh well, looking forward to the only man to direct good X-Men movies returning.

2. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    So, do you think that this will be set between X-Men Origins: Wolverine and the first X-Men film?

I wonder if it will feature characters seen at the end of the Wolverine film?

3. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    hmmm I havent heard about this one at all. But if Singer is in then I am in to.

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think that was the intention- use Wolverine: Origins to launch First Class (via the Stewart and kid cameos like Cyclops) and the two secret endings to launch the Deadpool and Wolverine 2 movies.

5. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    By what was being said by Singer this morning it may predate Wolverine since Charles and Magneto are both supposed to be in their 20s.

6. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I am hesistant on this because the movies already screwed up some things. Or rather Ratner screwed up one (Angel) and Singer somewhat screwed up the other (Iceman).

I suppose in theory Bobby could be part of the first class but it's a real tough area to work in. But Angel is pretty much screwed unless they let Singer ignore X3 (Which no one should object to [face_mischief] )

So the first class: Definitely Jean and Scott. Likely Hank. Will Storm be in it is the question. From the movies it's indicated (mostly because of X3) that Storm hasn't been a student for a long time.

I hope that Ian McKellan and Patrick Stewart do reprise their roles towards the end of the movie (assuming they are going to move ahead in years).

7. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    I get the feeling the First Class Xavier forms won't be the same as the one in the comics. Scott and Jean will obviously be there. Hank and Ororo seemed to be implied as early students as well. And I get the feeling some of the characters from Wolverine might show up as well (perhaps Pietro and Wanda?).

8. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    If Pietro and Wanda show up then it will be really tough to make them Magneto's kids. I'd love it if they did show up and somehow end with those two breaking off to join another team (Avengers Tie in? Oh wait this is fox [face_frustrated] )

9. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    Well from what I hear this is supposed about the falling out of Eric and Charles. I am wondering if that means Magneto may be involved in the formation of the school, and as such why wouldn't his kids be there.

I am basing the presence of Pietro on him being one of the mutants liberated by Charles and Logan in Wolverine. And usually when you get Pietro, Wanda isn't far behind.

Its entirely possible that the kids may not even know their connection to Eric at all.

Of course this is entirely speculative on my part.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    If this is set before Wolverine, then I don;t think Scott could be used- the movie suggests he doesn't meet Xavier till that movie.

The plot sounds almost like it's partially the proposed X-Men Origins: Magneto plot, just expanded to focus on both him and Xavier.

11. Darth_Pogey

Darth_Pogey Jedi Master star 4

Apr 4, 2005
    Man I like Bryan Singer but does any other director abandon as many projects? First he was gonna do X-Men 3 then he left to do Supes, then he was gonna do Logans Run but instead decides to do a Superman sequel, then didnt do that either. Then 3 months ago he was supposed to make a Battlestar movie and now it looks like thats not gonna happen either! And this is just in the past few year...

12. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Best news I've heard in a while. That proposed movie sounded like ****.

13. juliant

juliant Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2010
    wow x-men 3 is on the way. great. I like x-men 1.

14. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    Actually he's still moving forward. Last interview I saw he said he was still looking to put together the writing staff. That remake plan still baffles me other than the fact the original BSG creator hated Ron Moore's version.

15. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    It would also be nearly impossible to put a movie in the new BSG universe considering the way the series ended. Not that I think another remake is the way to go.

16. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    The nice thing about X-men is that there are so many mutants available.
    Maybe they'll have the actual romance between Scott & Jean? Something they've pretty much failed to carry out in 4 movies.
    Would be nice to have an X-men movie that didn't focus on Wolverine.
    One thing I think would be nice is to show Xavier and Lensher designing and building Cerebro.

17. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    I'm curious as to what characters will be used. It's been stated in the movies that Cyclops, Jean, Storm, and Beast were all former students and we can assume that they will be part of the titular "First Class". But there's no way Fox will miss the opportunity to throw more characters in. Angel, Iceman, Wolverine, Rogue, Gambit, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Shadowcat and more are all out as options for this prequel.

Maybe Havok and Polaris could be thrown in? They were the first recruits in the comics after the original five.

18. black31

black31 Jedi Youngling

Feb 3, 2010
    I think X-men should be done as a CGI movie and the characters should look exactly like the cartoon and in 3D.

19. The_Smirking_Revenge

The_Smirking_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 2, 2008
    Don't get me wrong, I'm all for more x-flicks, especially with Singer on board, but doesn't the first class consist of most of the characters already used in the previous flicks?

The original Crew was:
    Cyclops
    Beast
    Iceman
    Jean Grey
    Angel

So since all have been featured in the previous films, some way too young, how are they gonna do this?

-T_S_R

20. Salty

Salty Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 24, 1998
    The could always make it a stand alone or just say they're rebooting.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, Wolverine basically set things up- they obviously can't follow the comics original team, but they can make up a new movieverse First Class: Cyclops is already onboard, Jean can be there, so can Storm (they already shot her an origin scene for Wolverine that was cut from the film so they can just reuse that footage). Looks like they'll be using Emma Frost in there, and I wouldn't be surprised if they used Gambit again somehow. They'll probably throw in one or two recognizable names (like Havoc or Polaris, as suggested above) and a couple obscure ones.

22. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    IF Singer wanted, they could do the original 5. They would just have to make Xavier a big jerk for it to truly work. X3 is where the major screw up is and it's only because of one scene: Warren entering the room with Storm, Beast and Bobby. Jean was gone, Xavier and Cyclops were dead.

The original class had Bobby as the youngest. He could still be a part of the original team and because of his age, he ended up taking classes while Scott, Jean and Hank move on. Warren is the kicker. For him to work, a deus ex machina mind wipe via Xavier would be necessary for Warren, Hank and Bobby. This is why I hate Ratner and the mess he made in X3. While Bobby would be hard to explain in first class, he would still be very possible given the storyline in the movie. He'd just have to be Leech's age. But the hoops needed to be jumped through to make Warren work are not worth it.

23. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    I don't see why you put all the blame on Ratner. Singer's at least as responsible.

And you at least have to give credit to Ratner for retconning Beast in as an alum of Xavier's.

24. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    Why is Singer responsible for X3??

25. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    I'm pretty sure the plan for Singer's BSG was to reboot the series again. That was part of my rage on that issue.

I'm all for Singer doing more X flicks, they were fantastic when he was at the helm. Its just a bonus that it prevents his abomination of BSG from hitting the big screen.