main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

X-Men: The Animated Series

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Apr 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    anyone ever watch this series back in the early/mid 90's on Fox? I loved the show. i miss the reruns that are on sometimes. I wish it would come out on DVD

2. Obi-Kris_Kenobi

Obi-Kris_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 13, 2002
    I was amazed on how well written most episodes were, and even in the greek dubbed version, the production quality was great. Wolverine and Storm were great in it. I remember watching it alone at the beginning, but later, even my younger sisters loved it. Great music theme, great show.

3. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    This was a truly a great show. If it ever came out in Season Boxed Sets I'd definitely get them. The stories were good and they actually paid attention to continuity between the episodes.

4. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    X-men, next to batman was my favorite show to watch. I really really hope they release dvds now that toon disney has stopped playing the series. [face_praying]

5. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    This was by far the best of Marvel's animated series. The animation may not have been up to the standards set by the Warner Bros. TV series of its time, but the writing was almost always outstanding. And that opening credits theme was so awesome!

6. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    It was good but it couldn`t beat the Spidey series or the Batman series.

Like Batman the show was far too mature for it`s target age group

7. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    I agree SOTS that the one thing I liked that I remember was the opening theme. That and Yellow costume Wolverine. I also like how they depicted Prof. X and Cyclops. They both stick out in my mind.

8. Rouge Null

Rouge Null Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    I liked the show, but didn't get to watch it much. And the episodes I did see were out of order, so the story arcs didn't make a lot of sense to me. But the show was still good.

9. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I have the whole series on some homemade dvds and for the most part all the episodes are pretty solid. During the 5th season though, the animation went through a pretty drastic change. All the characters got more loose and fluid but it was done way to much. It's very distracting.

10. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Its on DVD :confused:

It was fun as a fan of the comics but I never found it to be that great.

11. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    No, the ones I have are homemade, tapped off TV.

I do know that the five part Phoenix Saga is on DVD, so are a few various Wolverine episodes.

12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I was always dissapointed that the movies didn't use the cartoon theme music- that IS the X-Men theme, damnit.

I also loved how it basicly more or elss kept in synch with the plotlines of the comics at the time- you'd read about the Phalanx Covenant, then you'd get an episode or two about it a few months later. Pitty they never got to do Age of Apocalypse.

13. weezer

May 16, 2001
    It was a statement not a question :p

It is on DVD.

14. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i liked the sentinels in the show. i tend to remember more about the first couple seasons then the end even though I was very diligent in watching the show. the one thing I remember is at the end Xavier gets taken away by aliens or something

15. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I only ever saw a few episodes of it but I loved it. I thought those Sentinels were scary back when I was 10 :p

And there haven't been complete releases on DVD, just some collected arcs; same with the Spiderman cartoon. It's a pity, I'd probably buy them.

16. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    Right. Xavier is dying and Lilandra comes to take him to the Shi'ar Empire where he can be treated.

17. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    why did they bother releasing only a few Wolverine centered episodes on dvd and not just go by seasons? i ask the same question with the Spider-man animated series as well

18. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    IIRC it's a relativly old DVD. It was released before selling complete seasons of TV shows on DVD was really big. Don't know why it hasn't been done since. There may be legal reasons or something.

19. weezer

May 16, 2001
    They keep turning them out for the movies. I'm sure there will be some kind of X-men tie on DVD when X3 hits.

Disney's been a late comer to the TV on DVD thing. They're just now getting ready to release some of their classic shows in full season sets. Come to think of it Disney was a late comer to DVD in general. I'm sure they'll come but I think they are going to try and get significant mileage out of the tie-ins and wait to see how other old shows do before trying the season set thing.

20. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    Where's my Darkwing Duck box set? Seriously...

But yeah, I stopped watching X-men at the end of the first Pheonix Saga. Mainly because I couldn't wake up in time to catch it. Though I've seen episodes here and there... I need to see it all again. Much better than Spidey, which didn't age well at all.

21. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Soon, soon. FYI Tick has a late Aug release date ;)

22. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i used to love that show. i haven't heard of it in a long time

23. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    Ah, The Tick, that show went off the air just as I reached the age where I finally "got" it. Sad. I'll have to pick that one up for sure.

24. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i forget but was Stryker ever shown in the cartoon?

25. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2002
    Stryker never made an appearance, at least not in any capacity that would make him memorable.

I am a huge fan of the old animated series. Absolutely loved it back as a kid, and watching it recently has only increased my appreciation of it. This is one show that gets better with age.

I recently re-watched the entire series in order (I barely stepped outside for a week and a half, missed classes, skipped meals, didn't sleep...it was rather rediculous, but a hell of a lot of fun) and was absolutely astounded by the subtlety and interwoven story arcs that kept the show so complex and vibrant. The entire series really warrants a complete re-watching from the beginning. The character interactions seem so much more complex and thoroughly-plotted when you can see it all in order.

I was shocked, though, that after I acquired what seemed to be every episode, there were about four or five episodes that I have very, very distinct memories of seeing years back which were not among the collection. After some research, I can't find any reference to these missing episodes in any online source or list of episodes or production credits. It's like there are a handful of mysterious episodes that have just disappeared from existence, several of which I really wanted to see. One of the episodes dealt with Juggernaught losing his powers, two had to do with Apocalypse, one involved a mysterious ancient alien "chariot" spaceship that Beast took a liking to, and at least one had to do with Magneto and Mystique. I just felt like mentioning this in case anyone ever hears or comes across mentions of 'missing episodes' in their travels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.