main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"X-Wing: The Bacta War," by Michael Stackpole [Bantam, 1997]

Discussion in 'Archive: Literature Review Forum' started by Gandalf the Grey, Feb 6, 2003.

?

“The Bacta War,” by Michael Stackpole [Bantam, 1997]

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. 10 (Excellent)

51.8%
  2. 9

25.0%
  3. 8

8.9%
  4. 7

3.6%
  5. 6 (Average)

1.8%
  6. 5 (Average)

1.8%
  7. 4

3.6%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1 (Poor)

3.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
  2. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    [image=http://www.theforce.net/books/images/xw_tbw.jpg]

Summary:
    When the Alliance Fleet mounts a major campaign against a deadly warlord, tyrant Ysanne Isard has taken control of Thyferra, intending to use its supply of medicinal bacta to destabilize and destroy the New Republic. Undermanned, deprived of Alliance support, Rogue Squadron must oppose Isard's plans, defeat her Star Destroyer fleet, and free Thyferra from her rule in a winner-take-all battle against a seemingly superior force.

3. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    This to me was Stackpole's best. I loved how you felt like the characters really were up against it in every way. My only gripe was the characters I wanted to see a lot of (Bror being a big one here), were just background figures. Especially considering his rise from the ashes so to speak, it would have been nice to see behind the man. Definately one of my favourite background characters there has been.

Overally, 9

4. JADES_FIRE

JADES_FIRE Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2001

I agree with ReaperFett :D Except for the Bror Jace bit. :p

5. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    This is my favorite of the original X-Wing novels by Stackpole. The entire concept of Rogue Squadron being a rogue squadron was great. I too wanted to see more of Jace in the book, especially since he was supposed to be a dead man.

It's kinda funny with this book and me. Everytime I read this book, I always lose it and have to buy a new one (7x now). The final battle was really touching with the death of Erisi who I never liked, and of course the "death" of Iceheart. I liked how Iceheart sent the prisoners away denying Corran his personal victory for another year or so. The pirate organization that Antilles ran was unbecoming of pirates, but they were getting the job done. There is of course the Errant Venture and the great scene between Cracken and Booster over the ownership of the ship.

I give it a 10.

6. Kyp_side_of_TheForce

Kyp_side_of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    my fave X-wing book... I absolutely love it :) 10

7. neeldawg66

neeldawg66 Jedi Master star 8

Mar 21, 2002
    Stackpole strikes again with another great X-Wing book! Loved it!

8. Fluke_Groundwalker

Fluke_Groundwalker Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 11, 2001
    Arguably Stackpole's best. This book just grabbed onto me, and wouldn't let me go. I was hooked as soon as I started reading it.

And one of the best covers of the SW novels, IMO.

9. Jedi_Horn_888

Jedi_Horn_888 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 4, 2002
    I agree with Reaper and Groundwalker. Arguably Stackpole's best. 9.5 out of 10

And E_V, that is a lot of times to lose a book!

Horn out

10. WarmasterDan

WarmasterDan Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 3, 2002
    10. It is fav X-Wing book, and also my fav bantam book. I just fell in love with it.

11. DARTH-PLONKER

DARTH-PLONKER Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 23, 2003
    10. I loved this. By far MAS' best. The battle with The Lusankaya was great. It gave the feeling of being up against it, which was what the Classic Trilogy was all about. More than makes up for the lack of action in The Krytos Trap.

12. A-WingsRule

A-WingsRule Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    A great book, full of action, adventure and suspense. It brings the cycle X-Wing to an excellent close. 9

13. Verry

Verry Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 27, 2002
    I stayed up till midnight last night to finish it. I love this. Makes me sad I finished the first four. Hopefully the Wraith squadron books live up to it.

14. --Corran_Horn--

--Corran_Horn-- Jedi Youngling star 3

May 31, 2002
    My personal favorite of all the X-wing books, although SoA comes in very close. The rogues becoming an independent group, waging a personal awr against iceheart, excellent concept. The final battle was excellent, with a great tie in to X-wing 8: Isards Revenge. Gotta love Booster Terrik, particularily his "modifications" to the spacestation that the rogues were working from. Ah, nothing like 300 proton torpedo launchers...

Wish they had more of Jace and Pash though.

15. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    Possibly the best in the entire Rogue/Wraith Squadron series. It was kinda cool to read along as Wedge and company haf to think like "Rebels" again. And Booster's modifications made the whole plan just a thing of beauty.

16. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Another excellent Stackpole novel. Too perfect for words.

17. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    My favorite Star Wars novel. :)

Though Rogue Ten admits that Rogue Ten could've been biased by all the Rogue Ten, (Ooryl), content in the book. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.