main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[YJCC] I thought it was a mods job to......

Discussion in 'Communications' started by k3po, Nov 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    Can I be Modin, the bitter-ex-mod wonder?

2. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Can I be Modin, the bitter-ex-mod wonder?

No, you're definitely Sue Modby.

And I just realized that DA is obviously the Specter. It's so obvious in retrospect.

3. k3po

k3po Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 21, 2001
    "But, k3po, what happens in a thread where multiple users are flaming?"

I think they should be banned and the thread should get back on topic.

4. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Maybe this does happen. As a regular user you can't see if someone's been banned or not and so you can't assume what action was or was not taken. Also, depending on the severity of the flame and their existing notes, the user may receive a warning at that point. There are so many factors that need consideration.

5. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    As a regular user you can't see if someone's been banned or not and so you can't assume what action was or was not taken.

Exactly. Since we don't discuss bannings, many times people don't know the types of actions we've taken to either warn or ban in a thread.

6. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Raven...
    "It might be fun to create an E-Justice League of Amodica."

Oh sure, fun for you since you already got to pick a good one. I'm probably going to get stuck being Brother Power the Geek, Matter-eater Lad or Ambush Bug.

7. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    None of those seem to fit though..

For you, I'd say:

G'Nort....I'd definately say G'Nort..

8. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Firstly, a mod's job is to keep his or her forum clean and create the best possible posting atmosphere for everybody in doing so. That means doing what they feel is necessary to promote that and always do what is in the best interests of their particular forum. Given that certain parties are still permitted to post, I often question whether that is being accomplished, but I am sadly no longer in a real position to do much about it.

As for the thread linked in the original post, a thread about another user, without said user's consent, should not be permitted. And given that the thread was designed to flame that particular member, locking it was the correct thing to do.

We treat this place like a kindergarden, but we really dont need to.

More often than not I find that users are treated based on how they act, seeing as how they can't be dealt with in any fashion unless they actually do something to warrant it. So if a user feels they are being treated as a 5 year old and doesn't want to be, perhaps they should adjust their behavior.

Well, if its lame, just let it die instead of locking it.

I haven't exactly been around much recently, but when has a thread ever been locked for being "lame?"

But just dont lock threads or edit things just because YOU think its bad.

Again, what threads have been locked because the locking mod thought it was bad? Assuming by "bad" you don't mean against the rules, because I would hope mods are locking threads that violate the rules.

Too many of our recent community mods have had close-knit relationships with select groups and people, and once they were promoted to Mod/Admin status, some barely set themselves apart from their cliques.

Would someone please post Paul's usernotes to finally debunk this?

"If you are not a member of said social club ect, that you may not post allegiance or membership to them/with them in your sig as it may be considered/ taken as baiting by it's membership."

Except that such groups aren't sanctioned by the administration. They're allowed threads here, but that's it. And why should some people be allowed to have a particular sig, but not others? Because of "tasks" or e-friendships? I think anyone who uses the word amazing or the letter B in their sig is baiting me. Ban them all!

Amazing.

9. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    Woah there, Brian. Let's not get all caught up in logic and rationality.

10. Iwishiwasajedi

Iwishiwasajedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Face it people: Mods have the final decision. They are the ones who decide whether to close a thread or leave it open. They are the ones who decide whether to ban a user or not.

There are no rules etched in stone for mods. If there were, you could just have a computer ban someone for posting an obscenity or for a post that is obviously a flame. There are guidelines for both users and mods to follow, and if either breaks their guidelines, then they must face the consequences.

So when you complain about a mod simply closing a thread because "it was lame," they were simply trying to follow the moderating guidelines. If you seriously feel that a mod is banning users or locking threads for the hell of it, pm an admin immediatly. Those positions are highly coveted and someone who fools around with colors and acts like a moron won't last long.

Maybe their should be a statement in the User Agreement about when you join you agree to always follow along with the opinions of a moderator unless you feel they are detremental.

11. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    "Those positions are highly coveted and someone who fools around with colors and acts like a moron won't last long."

[face_laugh]

12. Iwishiwasajedi

Iwishiwasajedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Farraday is an exception to that. [face_plain]

:p

13. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    haha out of all the people to choose, you pick farraday??? pfffffft. PFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTT.

14. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    farraday makes baby jebus cwy.

15. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    well I dunno about that but usually makes *me* laugh, and sometimes even makes me think. :)

I adore *arraday. :)

*Derisa*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.