main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Yoda and Tie Bomber Model

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by BStudios, Nov 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BStudios

BStudios Jedi Youngling

Nov 25, 2007
    Hi, im making a star wars fan film for a star wars fan film contest. I am looking a yoda and tie bomber model. The tie bomber model i like is here:
    http://www.scifi3d.com/details.asp?intGenreID=10&intCatID=8&key=165
    The Yoda model i like is here:
    http://www.scifi3d.com/details.asp?intGenreID=10&intCatID=13&key=647

Except, i've tried to contact the authors but when i try to send them an email from the site a page saying "The page cannot be displayed" comes up. So if anyone can help me contact the authors of these 2 models that would be would be most appreciated. Although i'm assuming i have to get the author permission, i've heard there are some sites where you don't need to get the authors permission (i think).

A quick response is greatly appreciated.

P.S. i am using Blender

2. darthviper107

darthviper107 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2003
    Download the files and then check and see if they have a text file with them, in that it should tell you about permission to use, some people will just give full permission for people to use their files.

3. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

George Mezori SCIFI 3D Scifi 3D Forum star 4 VIP

Sep 10, 1999
    Read the "Agreement Form" that you clicked on to download models. Authors actually don't normally want everybody emailing them. I get asked all the time to remove email addresses b/c of this. The Agreement Form states that you can use the models free of profit, authors must be credited. Otherwise read the TEXT file b/c some just want to know what you are using for, most don't want their model altered, etc.

4. BStudios

BStudios Jedi Youngling

Nov 25, 2007
    wait, so i can use their models without asking them, i just have to credit them?

5. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

George Mezori SCIFI 3D Scifi 3D Forum star 4 VIP

Sep 10, 1999
    Yes. Read the Agreement Form.

6. A_March

A_March Jedi Youngling

Sep 24, 2007
    No, why don't you tell them the rest of the story Bstudios, you are making a fanfilm for a competition with a prize at the end of it, which by definition is profit!

So, NO, you need the authors permission. You've asked this question on several forums now and the answer is the same. Don't try and get around it by posting on another board, you ARE doing this for profit and that profit MUST be shared with the contributors.

Either that or make your own bloody models!

7. darthviper107

Jun 26, 2003
    Atomfilms doesn't give any money anymore, they just put your film online and on TV, while you can get royalties from them I don't think the authors would mind people using their models for the Atomfilms contests.

8. A_March

A_March Jedi Youngling

Sep 24, 2007
    Who mentioned Atomfilms?

9. darthviper107

Jun 26, 2003
    Since you were referring to something he said somewhere else I did a quick search and found that he was getting the models for a project for the Atomfilms Fanfilm awards.

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?p=992067

10. A_March

A_March Jedi Youngling

Sep 24, 2007
    From Atomfilms website: The contract will require you to affirm and/or prove that you have the rights to use all of the creative elements in your movie. It will also provide AtomFilms and Lucasfilm the right to use the movie in all media channels, including the internet and television.
    If the distribution contract is signed by both parties then you'll be accepted into the Fan Movie Challenge, eligible for consideration to receive awards and recognition of little to no cash value.

Now, he can't do that. because he'll be signing away the rights for someone elses intellctual property, as I've said on anothe forum he'd be far better off creating his own models.

11. darthviper107

Jun 26, 2003
    Most models have a text file that gives permission to people to use the model as long as credit is given, so as long as it's like that then he should be fine. And, again, they don't give money as a prize anymore and they may only give royalties.

12. A_March

A_March Jedi Youngling

Sep 24, 2007
    You're not getting me mate, the contract states that you are basically allowing Lucas and Atolm to use the work in anyway they see fit.

Which means that this guy will be signing away the rights of someones model which he has no right to do ;)

13. darthviper107

Jun 26, 2003
    That's not quite the same thing, it's a video--not the actual model file, they've given permission to use the model as long as credit is given. They aren't selling the model. And actually, I think the contract isn't quite as harsh as that.

And by the way, people have used the files in less legal ways, they've used them on G4 before but they've also given credit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.