main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

You knew it was coming one day...The COPL HATE festival!

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by jewlmc, Sep 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jewlmc

jewlmc Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    Got this idea in another thread. Maybe I am a bit obsessed(Ok ALOT obsessed but at least I can admit it.)...so help me in my catharsis.

Who else here....HATED this pile of CRAP??? Anyone?

If you didn't.....DON'T BOTHER Lets just have people discussing why this book made you sick/angry/disillusioned..ect..

So come on in! Where you suckered in like me? Didya REALLY think this would be a H/L LOVE book and then was taken for a sick twisted ride?

Did you spend the whole book scratching your head wondering who the HELL these two people were that went by the name Han and Leia?

Did you want the character posing as Leia to be seriously maimed at some point?

Did you laugh and were you frustrated at how OBVIOUS it was that Fabio was Wolverton's Gary Stu?

A PLANET??? IN a CARD GAME????

Who the HELL is Thrikken Horm and why is he up in Leia's business?

Did I read wrong or was Leia HORDING jewles and trinkets? There was a passage that made me go "HUH?"...in which Leia has jewlery strewn on her bed....so obvously she was er..I don't know...PLAYING or fondling them....I don't know maybe I read it wrong. Seemed weired.

I could go on...but I'll wait.

Even if you half hated it...come on in!

2. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    I only 1/2 liked the book - Luke was late to the wedding and I didn't like the way that Leia just fell for that Prince.

I didn't *hate* the book overall - but I agree with a *few* of your points.

3. Doo-Kimmie

Doo-Kimmie Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 22, 2001
    Isn't HATE too strong a word? Oh wait, we are talking about COPL! Nah... HATE is perfect.

I hate this book! I hate it! I hate it! I hate it! :mad:

I HATE the way Leia was portrayed in the book. The Princess I know from the films would never be swayed just by some Fabio-boy-toy and his wealth. Leia loves Han. She was willing to leave the Rebellion to help rescue him from Jabba; I seriously doubt she would marry someone else to "ensure the security of the New Republic."

I HATE the way Han was portrayed. A gushy, worm-catcher who somehow lost all of his bravado and confidence in the wake of Prince Fabio-boy-toy. Puuhhh--leeezzeee! This is Han Solo we are talking about. He would have decked Fabio and taken Leia to a nice planet with warm, sandy beaches so she could relax.

I also hate the whole "Nightsisters" thing, the Warlord Zinsj (sp?) stuff, and the one-page wedding of Han and Leia. This was to be a story of how Han and Leia were married? I don't think so.

Whew! I am so glad I was able to get that off my chest.

4. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    jewl, aren't you writing a fanfic which rewrites this story? I thought it was a good idea.

Nightsisters were okay - but could have been done better.

Han was sort of not nice to Luke over flying the Falcon - ::shakes head:::

Han was pretty wimpy in the book, I think.

5. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    Ooohh, a thread trashing COPL! *rubs hands together*

LORD I hate this book. Whenever I see it on the shelves at a bookstore, I expect a foul stench to emanate from it.

It infuriates me to see this book referred to as a Han and Leia romance book, as in, "Why are you H/L fans complaining? You got a whole book devoted to their romance, and their wedding!"

This pile of poodoo disguised as a book is NOT about H/L's romance. In fact, it's about almost everything but. And their wedding gets one whole page. That's right, one whole page, which isn't even told from either of their perspectives! It's told from Luke's, when he arrives late at their wedding.

(And by the way, Dave W., the word is "Alderaanian," not "Aldereenian.")

Prince Isoloser...where should I start? I despise him almost as much as I despise Mara Jade. (I'd despise him as much except that he at least is not a major character.) Isoloser is a Gary Stu if ever there was one. Better looking than Han (ha! Isoloser is clearly based on Fabio, who I never found attractive--if I had a guy who looked like Harrison Ford, I wouldn't even glance at a guy who looked like Fabio!), great pilot, prince, obscenely wealthy, blah blah blah.

The Leia in the movies would never allow him to lay his slimy lips on her, let alone consider marrying him. Why's she suddenly such a sucker for good looks, anyway? She was very able to resist Han's good looks for three years. I can see Leia giving the proper amount of consideration to Isoloser's proposal, mostly for the benefit of Mon Mothma, et al, but never actually thinking about marrying him because she was in love with Han, and screw the NR if they didn't think Han was worthy of her, or if Isoloser was a "better match." Leia left the Rebellion behind to rescue Han because she loved him.

And I hated seeing the book go on about how bad Han looked. I guess that's where the NJO authors got their idea for going on and on (and ON!) about Mara's looks while deriding Leia's: gush about how bad the movie character looks to promote the Mary Sue/Gary Stu character.

The plot is ridiculous, and reminiscent of the male chauvinist fantasy movies of the 1950s and 1960s--Force-strong witches who kidnap men and keep them as slaves. Neither Han nor Leia is recognizable; Han's a whiny twit and Leia is a stuck-up prom queen. Even Luke doesn't emerge unscathed--he forgets that Han is his best friend and actually encourages Leia to marry Isoloser! Some friend, huh? And what loving brother would want his sister to throw away true love for wealth, especially if it meant having that Ta'a Chume psycho as a mother-in-law?

6. Doo-Kimmie

Oct 22, 2001
    Han was sort of not nice to Luke over flying the Falcon - ::shakes head:::

Another point! I'm sure between ANH and ESB, Luke has helped Han pilot the Falcon many times. He was pretty confident in Luke's skills by the end of ANH, asking Luke to join him rather than join the fight against the Death Star.

I doubt Han would have a problem with it.

The Han in COPL wasn't Han Solo from Star Wars. It was his evil clone.

7. DarthKarde

DarthKarde Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    The worse moment in the book for me was when Mon Mothma stated that she wanted Leia to marry Isolder in order to aquire ships and money for the NR. It was a selfish and heartless comment from a charachter who as leader of the Rebel Alliance / New Republic should be the embodiment of good. Completely out of charachter and going against all established SW at the time. It summed up the whole novel very well.

8. jewlmc

Oct 29, 1999
    Jedi_ Liz, I am writing it I just haven't had as much time to write it and write it WELL lately. Hopefully I will post more within the next few weeks. But I haven't abandoned it. I'm glad you like it.

Shelley that was another point. The man obviously had serious issues against Harrison Ford. Good grief if I had a dime for all the times the word "scruffy" was used I would be rich. And those women talking about how Ugly Han was?? LMAO! Sounds like the dream of a man whose wife/girlfriend ect... is in love with HF.

Whatever.

9. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    not to mention that Ta'Chuume lied to Luke about the Jedi artifacts.......

I have to go reread it again.......*Luke* encouraged her?

I think it was that Thracken Horm guy (I know I spelled that name wrong) in addition to Mon Mothma that encouraged the union.

I think Leia told Luke about the situation and he said to go with her Heart (or something similiar to that).

10. Macewindu77815

Macewindu77815 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2002
    I HATE THIS BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IT IS HAN'S EVIL CLONE!!!

THE REAL HAN WOULD NEVER TAKE OVER LEIA'S MIND!!!

11. Doo-Kimmie

Oct 22, 2001
    The cast of COPL:

As Princess Leia: Princess Leia's evil clone
    As Han Solo: Han Solo's evil clone
    As Luke Skywalker: Luke Skywalker's evil clone (who has basically taken over for the entire EU--but that's another story)

and As Prince Isotwit: Fabio

Yikes!

12. jewlmc

Oct 29, 1999
    The thing about Luke was that the guy just kind of was like

"Er...so what that you have been with Han for YEARS? I won't bat my eyes that you may dump him for a man you have known a total of five minutes.."

Yeah that was rather odd.

'You don't have to chose between them right away..' (Or something to that effect) As if they were on equal footing or something. GAH!

13. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    Shelley that was another point. The man obviously had serious issues against Harrison Ford. Good grief if I had a dime for all the times the word "scruffy" was used I would be rich. And those women talking about how Ugly Han was?? LMAO! Sounds like the dream of a man whose wife/girlfriend ect... is in love with HF.

Yeah, I recall a poster saying that maybe Wolverton's wife called out HF's name in bed or something and he thought, "He's not so great! I'll create a SW character who's ten times better looking and have Leia melt at the sight of him!"

Blech.

But at least that "Han looks bad, Isoloser is soooooooooooooo gorgeous" junk was confined to only one book. Unlike the "Leia looks bad and aged, Mara still looks young and gorgeous" crap that's permeated the NJO.

Also, I think "Dark Journey" comments on how Isoloser's looks have faded. Hehe. I remember the passage where Isoloser thinks to himself about how Han and Leia are so deeply bonded that he can't sever it. I liked that part. And one of the few bright spots during the H/L separation in the NJO was when Isoloser, who's split from his spouse as well, tries to put the moves on Leia but she will have none of it. That's my girl. :)

14. Nichos_Marr

Nichos_Marr Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    Maybe Elaine Cunningham should have written CoPL :)

Never liked it much either.

15. Ginger

Ginger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 27, 2001
    Whenever I read Star Wars books I hungered for more H/L relationship moments. They were sorely lacking, so when I heard about this book I anxiously counted down the days for it to be release. When that magic day arrived, I was so excited, I was going to get to read about Han and Leia's wedding! I rushed out and bought my copy. I read it in two-days time. Most of the time I just shook my head, or pounded my fist. When I was done, I threw my Hard Copy Book in the trash.

16. ivylore2

ivylore2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 5, 2001
    Oh no... LOL (here I go again),

At least I found my copy at a used book sale for a quarter. This was when I was just reviving my childhood fixation with SW. I hadn't read anything since Zahn's trilogy, I'd never heard of COPL, I saw the picture and my heart skipped with delight.
    I was utterly dismayed and disappointed(though this book still takes far 2nd to the horror I experience reading BP).
    I actually liked the way Wolverton wrote Luke, but LOATHED his characterization of Leia (save a choice few moments. We probably all have them memorized).I mean honestly... Luke, even Isolder and Tenel Ka basically were the romatic focus half the time...

As for Han blasting Leia with a brainwashing gun and locking her in a smuggling compartment - I actually thought she deserved that!!!! I kept waiting for Han to start shaking her, and say, "What's your problem????"

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

17. Jedi_Suzuran

Jedi_Suzuran Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2002
    Mwahahahahaha!
    I hated this book also. :)

Luke was some weak Jedi who was bested by some primitive chicks, Leia got turned into some strange woman who's swayed by a GFFA Fabio.

And Han...let's not go there.

It was all just too nauseating.

18. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    actually, ivylore, it wasn't Tenel Ka (that is Isolder's daughter). It was Teneniel Djo.

19. Sreya

Sreya Jedi Master star 2

Aug 7, 2000
    Ugh... that books is rather scary... can't even think of the words....

Hate isn't strong enough. I despise it. I loathe it. It was just... UGH!

Luke's reaction to Leia saying this was even an issue should have been his jaw dropping, his blue eyes sparkling in confusion, and then he says "Who are you, and WHAT have you done with my sister?!"

Sheesh.
    Sreya

20. Friend_of_Skylark

Friend_of_Skylark Jedi Knight star 5

May 19, 2002
    that's a misuse of the word catharsis.

21. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE

GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE Jedi Knight star 7

May 8, 2002
    Never read it, never want to read it.

W. Axl Rose

22. Doo-Kimmie

Oct 22, 2001
    And one of the few bright spots during the H/L separation in the NJO was when Isoloser, who's split from his spouse as well, tries to put the moves on Leia but she will have none of it. That's my girl.

Wow! That actually sounds like the Leia we all know and love. Hee-hee! She's out there, Shelley! She's out there... waiting patiently!

23. Somebody_For_Someone

Somebody_For_Someone Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 27, 2001
    Did you laugh and were you frustrated at how OBVIOUS it was that Fabio was Wolverton's Gary Stu?

*applauds*

24. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.