main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends You?ll Be In My Heart (A series of Qui/Obi vignettes) *Complete*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Glenstorm, Apr 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glenstorm

Glenstorm Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 27, 2006
    Title: You'll Be In My Heart.
    Author: Glenstorm
    Characters: Qui/Obi
    Genre: Songfic. Mush-fest. Angst. Hurt/Comfort (In fact, all the things we love.)
    Summary: A series of vignettes set throughout the lives of Master and Padawan.
    Disclaimer: Nothing belongs to me. Song belongs to Phil Collins and the Disney film Tarzan.

Yup, it?s another songfic. [face_blush] (scuffs foot sheepishly) I dunno, I just seem to listen to the radio and the plot bunnies make their killing. It?s not my fault!

Author?s Note: For a long time I argued with myself as to whether I should send this in as one complete story or to post each little vignette separately. Both ideas had their merits and drawbacks. But after much angst and soul searching I?ve finally decided to split it up. Sometimes I still think it would have been good to leave the whole thing intact, but it?s turned out so long that I think people would have grown bored and started looking like this [face_tired] before they reached the end. :D

But if I did make the wrong choice and you do prefer it all together you can always use the old cut and paste and stick the whole jobby back together again when it?s done. :)

?Presenting Padawan Xanatos for creche duty, Master Hallan,? Qui-Gon announced to the senior Master as he stood behind his ominously silent Padawan.

?Ah, Master Jinn. Good, good. This the boy?? The aging creche Master peered up at the raven haired apprentice, whose expression was nearly a black as his hair. ?Hmmm. Well, come along then, young man, there?s plenty to do!? Master Hallan turned away, then without even looking back stated: ?And take that look off your face, you?ll scare the children!?

Qui-Gon laughed as Xanatos? scowl deepened further still.

Paying the suddenly dangerous expression no mind, he clapped his apprentice on the shoulder and gave him a slight push forward. ?Listen to Master Hallan, Padawan,? he said before dropping his voice low for Xanatos? ears only. ?The Council could have assigned you a worse punishment.?

The look Xanatos directed at his Master was nothing short of mutinous. Without a word he stalked away after Master Hallan.

Qui-Gon shook his head in silent amusement. It seemed creche duty was as popular as ever. A thorn in the side of every Padawan since the dawn of time. Especially for his haughty charge.

To say he hated it would be a gross understatement. But Xanatos only had himself to blame for this and he would just have to deal with the consequences. Qui-Gon could not rescue him this time--Yoda had warned him with an unusually severe glance, firmly overruling any protest he might have made in his Padawan?s frequent defence.

Still, as he?d said, it could have been worse.

Casting one last look at the door through which his Padawan had disappeared, Qui-Gon started for the exit.

And was quite unprepared when the squall of an infant drew him to an abrupt halt.

Jolted from his thoughts, Qui-Gon frowned, confused as to why the sound had stopped him so abruptly in mid stride. Considering the area that he was in, it was not an uncommon occurrence to hear one child or more grousing over some minor grievance or another. So why was he here, suddenly perched tense in a doorway.

It was like a cord had been pulled.

Listening carefully now, he waited until the thready wail reached him again and was surprised when he experienced the same strange tug. That cry? There was something about it. It just compelled him to turn round. Turn round and see.

Curiosity peeked, Qui-Gon moved back into the creche, letting the sound of the throaty squalls lead him to a corridor that branched away from the main creche area. He followed it until he came upon an open doorway. Without the slightest hesitation, the Master strode through.

The room beyond was large, filled with a soothing, golden light that immediately set the senses at ease. Twenty cots lined the walls on either side, each one containing a tiny infant.

Qu

2. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    [face_love] That was so sweet! I can't wait to see the next viggie.

3. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    That was wonderful! =D=

I could only imagine what it must be like for an infant to be taken from the only love and warmth he knows to be plunged into a place where he's just another bed warmer in a room full of other infants. It's a good thing that Qui-Gon was there to help him through. :)

If you're keeping a PM list, please add me to it.

4. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    Awwww!! [face_love]

I LOVE Qui/little Obi stories, and this is by far one of my favorites. [face_love]

Warmed beyond measure, the Jedi Master curled the chosen finger around the tiny hand, fully aware in that moment that if a whole army of Togorian warriors were to charge through this room, not one of them would lay so much as a claw on this child while there was still breath left in him. He would do anything.

The little boy smiled, as if sensing the protective thought.

Qui-Gon returned the gesture tenderly. ?That?s right, young one. I?m here. No more tears.?
    [face_love]

I'm so happy to here there's going to be more of these viggies, I can't wait! [face_dancing] So please add me to the PM list, thanks! :D

5. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    That was very sweet. I loved that we don't find out what Xanatos did but he was quite unhappy about it. And the dig about Bruck Chun in the next cot jealous of the attention paid to Obi-Wan was a great little hint.

Good job.

6. Jedi-Gon

Jedi-Gon Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2007
    AWWW!!![face_love][face_love][face_love]

If you have a PM list, please put me on it. :D

This is so adorable! Lol, Xanatos is funny - foreshadowing! Obi-Wan is adorable![face_love]

It's ironic, actually, I was just thinking about doing a songfic to this song earlier today. Looks like you beat me to it. :) Great work! =D==D==D=

Can't wait for the next one!

7. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    well.

well, well, well.

... she gurgles from her puddle.

more please...:D

8. JediKaren

JediKaren Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 26, 2007
    I like it and I just love the song!

9. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

Aww I am a sucker for lil Obi, that was so cute.=D=

10. dimyavie

dimyavie Jedi Master star 1

May 3, 2006
    I loved the Qui/Obi interaction! I liked how you incorporated Xan and Bruck too. Awesome update! :D

11. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    AW, I'm a puddle of mush...poor Obi's entire being craving for love - and Qui-Gon offering it. [face_love]

12. Bkcbookworm

Bkcbookworm Jedi Youngling

Dec 5, 2007
    "Warmed beyond measure, the Jedi Master curled the chosen finger around the tiny hand, fully aware in that moment that if a whole army of Togorian warriors were to charge through this room, not one of them would lay so much as a claw on this child while there was still breath left in him"

Aaawww! Very sweet, love the Obi/Qui mush. Please write some more! :)

13. DarthBerryStraw

DarthBerryStraw Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2007
    He kept watch like that for many hours until the tears dried upon the tiny face. And as he brushed at the soft fingers still gripping so tenaciously to his own, he smiled quietly to himself.

Everything would indeed be fine..

[face_love] So mushy, I love it! If you have a PM list, I'd really like to be on it. :)

14. Glenstorm

Mar 27, 2006
    Thanks for reading everyone! Sorry I don't have the time right now to respond to all, but thank you so much for your words. [:D] I hope you like this next instalment as much. :)

?Mast?a!?

The whimper cut through the black fog in his head, tugging at the back of his mind.

?Mast?a! 'ake up!?

Qui-Gon stirred slightly, the floor under his body grinding strangely beneath his shifting weight as he tried to waken. A lot of sharp rocks were digging into his back-his sluggish senses were kind enough to inform him of that much-and a choking grit filled the air, coating his throat every time he tried to breathe in. His head felt like it had been stuffed with cotton.

?Mast?a?? That voice again. Carefully Qui-Gon opened his stinging eyes. Not that he gained much from it. It was dark. Very dark and all around he had the dreaded feeling of an oppressive weight baring down upon him.

What?

Struggling to find the memory that placed him here, Qui-Gon touched a hand to his aching temples and was alarmed when his questing touch came away warm and sticky.

He was bleeding, he realised. His skull felt tender and bruised beneath his touch. Never a good sign.

Fighting against the disorientation, Qui-Gon managed to pull together enough thought to draw an emergency glow stick from his utility belt. Cracking it with unsteady hands he flooded the space around him with an instant light.

A split second and he almost wished he'd left himself in the ignorant darkness.

Oh. Good. Force.

Blinking dark-adjusted eyes against the light he found himself lying in a tight pocket of space, buried and surrounded by countless tons of steel and permacrete. Completely and totally trapped--

A little hiss of pain brought on by the sudden brightness grabbed his attention before a flutter of panic could set in. Squinting his eyes, Qui-Gon peered into the nearest corner. Half hidden in the shadow of a giant steel girder huddled a small boy. He was watching Qui-Gon out of eyes grown large with fear. ?Mast?a?? he whimpered.

At the sight of him, Qui-Gon?s memory jolted.

He had been headed for the Archives when the Force had screamed warning. Passing by a class of younglings and their teacher, he just had the chance to detect the smell of something strange in the air before he had flung himself sideways into an adjoining room, grabbing one of the children--a boy--who had for some reason stopped to stare at him.

No sooner had he dived from the corridor, when the whole Temple seemed to tremble. The heat of an explosion seared Qui-Gon?s back, blasting him forward faster than his own leap could carry him. He landed hard shielding the child with his own body as the world began to come down around them. Then? blackness.

Qui-Gon?s shot open. Gas explosion. The smell of it still lingered in his nostrils.

He looked over at the child he had grabbed and fervently hoped that the rest of his class had made it to safety.

The child was trembling as he sat beneath the girder--a thick beam of steel that was probably the only thing preventing the rubble above from collapsing upon them and eagerly snuffing out the last pocket of life remaining in its midst.

It was really only by the grace of the Force that they had survived at all.

Qui-Gon shuddered.

Twisting his mind away from such morbid thoughts, Qui-Gon tried to shift into a sitting position.

Hell fire chewed up his back and his head throbbed unmercifully. Hissing between clenched teeth Qui-Gon just about managed to lean up on one elbow. That would be enough for now he decided, and his body agreed. He turned his attention back to the boy.

?Are you alright, young one?? he asked, stalwartly keeping the pain and worry from his voice. ?Are you hurt??

?N-no,? came the small answer.

?Good.? Qui-Gon squinted into the shadows. The boy was staring up at the ominous ceiling, the treat of tears glinting in the harsh artificial light. ?It dark, Mast?a,? Qui-Gon could feel his terror bubbling just beneath the

15. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    I am again ASTOUNDED at your storytelling. Fantastic all the way through. You, my friend, are one of the most talented writers on this board; a VaderLVR64 level of writing. I truly enjoy everything you write and selfishly wish you had multiple stories to keep up with.

Most definitely. Fighting through a sudden wave of dizziness Qui-Gon beckoned with his free hand. ?Come here, my little friend. Don?t be afraid.?

A shift of rubble and the child shuffled over to Qui-Gon?s side. His face was plastered in dust and reddish brown hair stuck up in every direction, but his eyes had suddenly become bright with indignation.

?I not little,? he told Qui-Gon firmly. ?I nearly four.?

Qui-Gon couldn?t keep himself from chuckling. ?That you are, Ben,? he said.
    [face_love] [face_laugh]

Qui-Gon found quite suddenly that he had never been so glad to hear Mace Windu?s voice. Clearing his throat, he called back. ?Yes, but I?m not sure how far down.?

There came a noise like a disbelieving snort. ?Qui-Gon Jinn? Why is it wherever there?s trouble you?ll be in the thick of it! Are you hurt??
    [face_laugh] Great line, Mace.

No! Despair tore through him like a poisonous blade. He couldn't do it!

Suddenly there was a presence in his mind. He did not know where it came from but it was somehow familiar, almost as if it had been there all along and had only now made itself known. Then with a bolt of certainty, he understood.

Ben? But how--

Qui-Gon had no time to think. Ben had seen what Qui-Gon was trying to do and was now throwing all of his strength at the deadly boulders. Bringing all of his rudimentary training to bear.

Qui-Gon closed his eyes. Training blocks were one thing. The infant could not possibly stop this. It was a last valiant attempt but it was far too late. Qui-Gon held the boy?s effort strung body beneath him and waited for the inevitable to happen--

--but death never came.

The sound of falling rocks slowly petered out until they ceased altogether. At the last there came a great grinding of stone then? silence. Just the sound of Qui-Gon?s own ragged breathing and the pounding of his trembling heart.

Cautiously the Jedi Master opened one eyelid, then the other. Mouth slightly agape, Qui-Gon stared up at the ceiling, now a mere meter from his face. The great girder lay useless beside them but the rocks above were once more still and solid, and most importantly of all: stable.

He could have sworn he heard Yoda?s voice cackling at him in that moment. ?Training blocks, ha!? it said. ?Size matters not, teach you that eventually, I will!?

Stunned, Qui-Gon looked down through the swirling dust at the boy beside him. The already pale face was as white as a sheet.!

and then:

?I?ll tell you later,? Qui-Gon said in a calm tone that he knew would infuriate the other Master. ?Just get us out as quickly as you can. But be more careful this time, please. I think I?ve exhausted one small miracle for today.?

Without any further explanation Qui-Gon returned his attention to said miracle. ?Ben? Are you alright??

?We safe now, Mast?a??

?Yes we are, Ben, thanks to you. You?ve saved us.?

The child smiled and blinked sleepily up at Qui-Gon?s face. ?Jus' like hero i' story??

Qui-Gon smiled. ?Yes, Ben. Just like him.?

The boy beamed then yawned widely. ?I tired, Mast?a.?

?I should think so. Go to sleep, young one, you?ve earned it.?

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. I'm mush, now.

A sleepy voice cut though his musings. ?Know who you are.?

Startled, Qui-Gon asked. ?Who am I, Ben??

A slight knowing smile touched the small lips. ?You my Mast?a.?

Qui-Gon felt his breath catch. The tall Jedi stared but Ben said no more.

My Master.

Could it be possible? Whatever would Xanatos say?

Who cares?

Ben shivered slightly and Qui-Gon tightened his hold. Setting his questions aside, he simply let himself ma

16. JediKaren

JediKaren Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 26, 2007
    awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

17. DarthBerryStraw

DarthBerryStraw Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2007

A shift of rubble and the child shuffled over to Qui-Gon?s side. His face was plastered in dust and reddish brown hair stuck up in every direction, but his eyes had suddenly become bright with indignation.

?I not little,? he told Qui-Gon firmly. ?I nearly four.?

Obi-Wan is such the typical four-year-old. [face_laugh]

Incredible chapter. I loved the suspense, and Obi-Wan's sweet eagerness to listen to Qui-Gon's story.

18. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I could feel the weight of it over their heads and them waiting to be crushed. Little Ben was able to save the day with Qui-Gon's help.

I'm highly claustrophobic so this was actually a hard read for me. Very vivid.

Great job.

19. dimyavie

dimyavie Jedi Master star 1

May 3, 2006
    I don't know where to start! The update was amazing. I loved the Qui/Obi interaction. I especially liked the part where "Ben" saved both himself and Qui! Thanks for writing! :)

20. Glenstorm

Mar 27, 2006
    Valairy Scot: Once again you render me speechless with your praise. You, my friend, write some of the most anticipated reviews on these boards! :D [:D]

Whatever would Xanatos say?

Who cares?
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

JediKaren: :D

DarthBerryStraw: Thank you! Glad to have you on board with this. :)

dianethx: You're claustrophobic?! [face_worried] Sorry I had to do that to you, my friend. But at least I know I got the descriptions right! :D

dimyavie: Thank you so much! [:D]

21. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Valairy Scot: Once again you render me speechless with your praise. You, my friend, write some of the most anticipated reviews on these boards!

I'm glad to be of service ;), but if you didn't write such great stories, you wouldn't have to live in "anticipation" of my reviews.

22. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

You kept me on the edge of my chair, I could not take
    my eyes off your wonderful post.=D=
    Qui-Gon has found his soul padawan. Lets hope he has
    a chance to be a Master to Ben[:D]

23. Qui-Gina-Jinn

Qui-Gina-Jinn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 2, 2003
    Wow. This is wonderful!

Really loved it.

Can't wait for more [face_love]

24. jedidas3

jedidas3 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 25, 2007
    Outstanding! =D= You have a wonderful talent, thank you for sharing it with us! I'm so sorry I missed the first post, but I'm all caught up. [face_dancing] Please PM me for future updates.

25. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    [face_love] Aaawwwwwww!! [face_love]

Thanks for another very wonderful update, Glenstorm! [face_love]

Little Obi-Wan is soooo cute!! [face_love] He and Qui-Gon are perfect together!

A sleepy voice cut though his musings. ?Know who you are.?

Startled, Qui-Gon asked. ?Who am I, Ben??

A slight knowing smile touched the small lips. ?You my Mast?a.?
    Listen to him Qui-Gon! [face_praying]

Once again you leave me in awe of your writing talent, Glenstorm, and thanks so much for the PM! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.