main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lightsabers & Blasters Your Lightsaber

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Azure_Edge, Jun 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teknobabel

Teknobabel Jedi Master star 5

Jun 4, 2000
    Yeah that was my make a saber-in-a-rush attempt, took two days including the paint drying :p If i can get it back i've got some plans for that saber, including new grip, new paint, new emitter section, new base and i'll change the belt ring to a larger D ring. For a made in 2 days saber it's not bad.

I'm messing about with some chrome tube that i got from work, there's some nice things you can do if you have the right equipment and time. My Dooku saber has been on hold for 4 months, simply because i'm missing the stuff i need to get it to the right level of workmanship that i want, my previous attempt was pretty much duct tape on a vacuum cleaner handle :p

2. plokoon480

plokoon480 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    Would anyone here like to sell me one plese?
    I want just the hilt,no blade.I am trying to get a cheap one.

3. anakin_sky

anakin_sky Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 13, 2001
    Those sabers look really cool. Great job :D

4. DirectorBilly

DirectorBilly Jedi Youngling

Sep 22, 2002
    I'm working on a fan film and i need alot of help from alot of different people. More importantly sabers. I'm looking for someone to design a number of sabers for the project (5 in total, 3 jedi and 2 sith). They need to be made to hold wooden dowels for the fighting sequences. Your contributions will be credited in the film and website. E-mail me at greenweeze@yahoo.com if you are interested in contributing.

Your sabers look amazing

5. robo_obi

robo_obi Jedi Master star 4

Mar 15, 2002
    here are two designs for sabers i am yet to make......there is a third design that i am actually making but haven't made a computer done version of it....that will come soon...

anyway

http://www.geocities.com/robo_obi/saber1.gif (doesn't have an emmitter guard yet....a design for that stumped me)
    http://www.geocities.com/robo_obi/saber2.gif

the third design has a cut away grip with gold accents(yes i am a senior jedi council member so :p )

6. BroodMcEto

BroodMcEto Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 14, 2002
    I just finished my Ep3 Anakin/Vader saber today. It's my prediction of what we'll see in Ep3.

[image=http://members.cox.net/tmcelroy2/pictures/saber.jpg]
    [image=http://members.cox.net/tmcelroy2/pictures/Ep3ASsaber.jpg]

More

7. JoeSunrider

JoeSunrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2002
    Those look great, Brood! The preview pics look funny because of their demensions. They looked like marshmallow sabers or something. Very nice work.

8. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    what did you use for the emitter shroud material?

9. Dice_Ibegon

Dice_Ibegon Jedi Youngling

Oct 28, 2002
    Hi all this is my first post and I thought that I would show my Yoda saber that I just finished about an hour ago.
    Yoda Saber I hope that yall enjoy it!

10. BroodMcEto

Jan 14, 2002
    Thanks, Joe. I think it looks funny too. Makes the real picture look too long and skinny. :p

JediDragon, I used the thinner 1.5 in. PVC pipe, not the SCH40 crap. I mitred the end to a 45 degree angle and then cut another 45 degree angle, but not all the way through. Then I used a rotary tool (dremel, wizard, etc.) to cut the other parts out. It's cheap (around $1.50 for 10ft.) so you can screw up a few times like i did and it doesn't matter.

I just took the Style VI saber from the Big Yellow Box site and changed it to meet my needs.

Thanks again...

and Dice, I like your yoda saber.

11. Marna_Veign

Marna_Veign Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2002
    I just finished my lightsaber handle today. Purely decoration, not a dueling one.

It is made out of plastic canvas, yarn, a 1 3/4 inch wooden dowel, and a keyring.

I wish I had a picture of it, but I don't have the means, so I will describe it.

It has a red button, and around that is a black diamond shape. there is also an off-white square around the button.

On the lower handle, I have three black 'grips' with arrows on both ends. The bottom 1 1/2 inch is off white, and there are 3 inlaid 'jewels', blue, red, and green, lined up with the arrows.

The dowel is inside to help keep the shape.

I have worked so hard in it and I am glad I got it done in time for Halloween.

12. JoeSunrider

Jul 6, 2002
    What are you guys using for buttons? I used a button from an old NES controller, and I love it.

13. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    I use Furniture Tacks. Easy to paint what ever color you want and you can glue them or nail them on.

14. JoeSunrider

Jul 6, 2002
    I'm just really anal and I like having a button that actually presses down.

15. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    Unfortunatly, I have no talent what-so-ever in lightsaber building, so I'm just gonna save up for ages, and ages, and ages, and ages, and buy a good one.

16. DarthFeldman

DarthFeldman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    anyone have a good list of sites to purchase sabers and blades from?
    i know about the main ones..parksabers,creative force,lightech..etc.

any others out there?

thanks for the help!

17. Marna_Veign

Marna_Veign Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2002
    "What are you guys using for buttons?"

For my plastic canvas lightsaber, I stitched 3 squares of plastic canvas together and stitched it onto the hilt.

But you probably meant the other sabers, huh?

18. robo_obi

robo_obi Jedi Master star 4

Mar 15, 2002
    well heres the computer done pic of my third saber...as promised.....i'll post pics of the finished saber as soon as i get it finished and photographed.....it needs some filing and some more work o the lathe done to it

htpp://www.geocities.com/robo_obi/saber3.gif

19. JediDragon

Mar 11, 2002
    can you get that thinner pvc pipe at lowe's? the only stuff I ever see there is the regular stuff...

20. JediDragon

Mar 11, 2002
    also, what did you use to paint it?

21. BroodMcEto

Jan 14, 2002
    JD, you can get the stuff at Lowe's. I don't have any right now, but it's thinner walled. The thicker stuff is SCH-40, the thinner stuff has a Max PSI of like 160 or so. SCH-40 has a Max PSI of 320 or so. It's cheap and easy to cut with a rotary tool.

To paint it, I was originally going to use this stuff (also at Lowe's) called Plasti Dip. It's used to give a nice rubber grip to tools and stuff. It is really nice, but it had a draw back. I could only find the actual dipping stuff, and it worked great with a little trimming, but because of the process, it coats the inside as well. That made it too thick to go on the sink pipe. After several tries and different attacks (painting it on) I gave up and used a flat black spray paint. If you can find the black spray Plasti Dip, I would use that. You'll get a great look and can prevent the inside of the tube from getting thicker.

If you can finde the spray kind, that's great, but you'll need time and patience to work with the dipping kind.

22. JediDragon

Mar 11, 2002
    cool, I think a friend of mine has some of the spray stuff, so he should be able to tell me where to get it. If nothing else, I might be able to jury rig something w/ the dip...

thanks!

23. Jedi_Pilot

Jedi_Pilot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    Hey, JD, I got my Plasti-Dip spray at Home Depot in the adheseves section, back with the epoxy resins.

24. BroodMcEto

Jan 14, 2002
    That's cool. We don't have a Home Depot yet, but will soon!

25. JediDragon

Mar 11, 2002
    cool, thanks terry, I'll check there!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.