main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Omaha, NE Your personal favorite Star Wars movie

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Darth_Tharon, Sep 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Tharon

Darth_Tharon Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2003

OK, here's a new topic for everyone to write on. Being the FNG of the group, your responses will also help me to figure out more about you, and you maybe more about me.

I would like to know what everyone's favorite Star Wars movie is, and why (the WHY part is by far and away the most important part of the question!).

You may choose from the five (5) Star Wars movies extant at this point in the ongoing space-time continuum we call "Life on Planet Earth": Episode I (The Phantom Menace), Episode II (Attack of the Clones), Episode IV (A New Hope), Episode V (The Empire Strikes Back), and Episode VI (Return of the Jedi).

Since I'm the first poster (and good leaders should go by the adage that "he who gives the order leads the charge"), I will go first.

For me, it's an almost-tie between "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi," with ESB just BARELY squeezing into the coveted top spot. [Personally, I covet the BOTTOM spot, but that's just me, and that's for another thread entirely! (laffs) ]

I have no idea why the original trilogy's episodes have so much stronger a grip on me than the new ones. But I would guess that it is because they came out when I was younger and so much more impressionable, and so they made a much stronger imprint upon a still fairly malleable (and unjaded) mind.

Quite often, like my preferences for The Who versus Led Zeppelin, it depends on how I'm feeling that day (or hour, or minute, or whatever). [It's like choosing who's hotter, Padme Amidala or Leia Organa--and talk about your TOUGH choices!] It's just not always that simple, and sometimes our choices change.

More often than not, though, I catch myself popping the Special Edition version of ESB into the VCR and watching the whole damn show, over and over and over again.

Why? Because it's nasty and DARK in tone and setting, and damn it, the Empire kicks some serious butt throughout the show. It's the only show out of them ALL (so far) where the forces of evil CLEARLY and INDISPUTABLY *WIN*. The Empire and Darth Vader call the shots almost from the get-go, and it's nice to see the heroes running for their lives for once instead of always winning. [Admit it, you all wanted to be Darth Vader and go around hissing and strangling people gratuitously for little or no reason at SOME point in your lives (for example, I *STILL* do!).]

ESB has lots of great action and it develops more plot than ANH, and ROTJ simply just built off the springboard that ESB had already established. ANH was a great introduction to the Star Wars milieu, and ROTJ had a good (although cheesy) open-ended conclusion, but it is the mid-game (ESB) that establishes the Rebel Alliance's tooth-and-nail fight for survival against Darth Vader, Emperor Palpatine, and their Empire.

We finally get the idea that IF the Alliance is going to triumph AT ALL, they are actually going to have to do it against overwhelming odds, and with more than just a little luck. And of course, that's how George Lucas wrote it, but if you can suspend your disbelief (being a good theatre patron), you should still sweat it out until the very end of the original trilogy.

Plus, there are no "superweapons" (read: Death Stars) in this movie, and it's more realistic in that sense . . . and so much more believable. The Empire's true strength is its military might and its all-intrusive reach into nearly every corner of the galaxy, and ESB does a BRILLIANT job of representing this. The Death Stars are merely tangible symbols of Palpatine's greed and awesome power; they are probably unnecessary toward winning the war. They personify violence and intimidation for the Emperor's own purposes. But when you watch Darth Vader, a skilled set of bounty hunters, the vast Imperial Starfleet, and the mighty Empire's resources against rag-tag groups of democratic idealist bandits, you really see how difficult it's going to be for Luke, Leia, and the rest of them to prevail against the Empire.

Also in this movie, we see a greater development

2. That awful vracer

That awful vracer Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2000
    The Wrath of Khan because Spock dies!

3. paperclipx

paperclipx Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2001
    Attack of the Clones....just for 2 reasons....sonic freakin charges...and the post arena battle...clones and Jedi, sigh. Of course the random beheadings didnt hurt either!

4. craigrr

craigrr Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 1999
    Does the infamous Holiday special count?

5. banthagrl

banthagrl Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 21, 2001
    Mark, will you slap those two? You're closest...

I think for the kind of detail you're asking, this is best discussed in person - next meeting perhaps?

For me, my pick for favorite changes moment to moment - it's like asking my favorite chocolate, the one I have right in front of me is always my favorite right then.
    At this moment right now, I'd have to pick ANH, just for pure nostalgia. All the times I've seen the other movies blur together, but I can still recapture EXACTLY how I felt the first time I saw Star Wars. I sat in the front row and practically hyperventilated through the whole X-Wing/Death Star battle and all I could think was "This is the coolest thing I have ever seen."

6. That awful vracer

Feb 6, 2000
    Craigrr, do the Ewok movies count too? :D

[image=http://www.starwarsautographcollecting.com/EwokStills/Ewok1.jpg]

[image=http://www.sithclan.net/swclassic/holiday/screen.jpg]

[image=http://www.revolutionsf.com/images/tv/starwarsholiday/leiasings.jpg]
    Star Wars, nothing but....Star wars!!!!!

7. Vader71

Vader71 Jedi Youngling

Feb 22, 2002
    ESB!

Was the best with plot and character development and the bad guy wins at the end:)

8. Darth_Tharon

Aug 5, 2003

I have to admit, I'm inclined to quote some dialogue from the movie A FEW GOOD MEN when I see some of the responses to what *I* believed was a serious and legitimate question posed in this forum in an effort to get to know people better:

"Lieutenant, how long have you been in the Navy?"
    "I'd say, about nine months now."
    "And how long have you been out of law school?"
    "A little over a year."
    "I see . . . "
    "Have I done something to offend you?"
    "No. It's just that when I petitioned Division to have counsel assigned, I was hoping I would be taken seriously."
    -- Lieutenant Commander Jo Galloway and Lieutenant (j.g.?) Daniel Kaffee in A FEW GOOD MEN (1992?)

Well, make fun all you want, I was just trying to get to know people and have people get to know me . . . thanks for posting.

CHRIS

9. craigrr

Jun 8, 1999
    Easy dude. One thing you have to realize about this group, we take NOTHING seriously. If we can't find an obvious way to make fun of something, we'll dig until we find something.

That being said, I'd have to say right now my favorite SW movie is Empire. I like the dark story. It's one of those stories where you have no idea how it's going to end. Han gets captured as he & Leia realize their feelings for each other, Luke takes off for Dagobah not knowing what he'll find, Vader reveals his secret. It's a recipe for counseling. Can you imagine Luke on a psychiatrist's couch between Empire & Jedi? If half of what I've heard about Episode 3 is true, it may turn out to be my favorite SW film.

And no matter how bad anyone says any of the SW movies are, watch the SW Holiday special or the Ewok movies and you'll know how good the rest of the SW movies are.

10. paperclipx

Jan 8, 2001
    Very well said, Craig. He's right, this IS us taking the topic seriously. You should see us when we get sarcastic!

11. craigrr

Jun 8, 1999
    Thanks, Mark. Trust me Chris, we aren't mocking you in any way, shape or form. You've done nothing to deserve such treatment. Very, very few have ever warranted such treatment. They are now no longer with us. Anyone here will tell you we're better off for it.

One thing you need to realize is that we are a bunch of class clowns. Some of us are just hitting our stride well after high school. I think that mainly has to do with the fact that we've found others who share the same sick, twisted, bizarre sense of humor. There is abosulutely nothing wrong with serious discussion on this board. But, you'll find there's always a smart @$$ or two (or 3)making comments. Kinda like Mystery Science Theater 3000.

I was serious when I asked if the Holiday Special counts. As much as I hate to admit it and as bad as it is, I like the Holiday Special. I think it's mainly for sentimental reasons. For the longest time, it seemed like I was the only one who remembered it. Everyone else thought I was crazy. Then I met up with other SW geeks and it's like an instant fraternity (sorry ladies, I don't know what a co-ed frat would be called, but you're included ;) ). If you've never seen the dreaded Holiday Special, I have it and can bring it to the next meeting. It's the HS that proves SW fans DO have a sense of humor.

12. TK750

TK750 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 22, 2001
    I would have to agree with Craig. And just to give you a rough idea of what I think of the Star Wars Holiday Special... It's better than Battlefield Earth. There, I said it. Anyways, I usually try to take up the reigns of resident smart @ss, but I was beat to the punch this time. Anyways, to get serious... I must say that I like the middle movies of each trilogy the best so far. Empire was my original favorite. It is dark, and true to life. I interpret Vader's line as "the dark side is powerful enough to take your dad. What chance do you think you have?", but at the same time Attack of the Clones hit home in some spots. I can empathize with Anakin, and as much as people piss and moan about it, I like the "love story". People all seem to think that Jedi go around picking up chicks on their free time, but I think Hayden Christiansen really nailed the naivete of Anakin. Also, there was that clone war thing that was pretty cool, too. As for the Holiday Special... I have it too (hides head in shame), so if Craig decides to pull a Craig we can still watch it. =P Of course it's nothing compared to the Ballad of Bilbo Baggins!!! Bilbo! Bilbo Baggins! Bravest little Hobbitt of them all! Peace, all!

13. paperclipx

Jan 8, 2001
    NOOOO!!! NOT THE HORROR OF BILBO!!!!

Must.....wash......brain.....

14. That awful vracer

Feb 6, 2000
    As far as which is my favorite, it really depends on my mood. There are things that I like about every movie. But I'm a little burned out on watching the movies right now. I've seen the movies too often lately(or in some cases, certain scenes, right Mark? ;) ). I'm on a star wars sabatical, right now. I'm doing the dishes, folding laundry, etc tonite, and I've got Star Wars on, mostly for background noise, and frankly, it looks cheap and dated to me, but that may only be because I'm not really in the mood to watch it.

And as far as you little outburst up there goes, you need to keep somethings in mind. For one, most of us hardly post here. We mostly use this for meeting announcements. Most of the people in Fan Force Omaha are professional people in their late 20's, early 30's and up, so most don't spend their spare time here. Except myself and a couple of others, most aren't messageboard people anyway. I think that's why Banthagrl suggested bringing it up at the meetings.

Another thing to reiterate, is that we are all smart asses, myself, Craigrr, and pX being the most incorrigible. I'm sure given time, you would've gotten some serious responses out of us. You just need to realize that apart from meeting threads, few things here get responses that fast.

There are alot of things that I take seriously, but frankly scifi is pretty damn low on the list. I have always tried to bring all kinds of odd video and sound clips and movies of all kind to the meetings. Some of them have gone over very well. Sometimes the group hated them, and they gave me all kinds of grief. Just ask'em. Do I take personally? No, I just have to accept that they have no taste. :D I'm sorry if you've got a problem with me not being serious in your topic, but I've got plenty of real world problems and concerns, and this dosn't even rate a ranking. You seem like a bright funny dude, just ease back on the intensity a notch. Just remember, we tease because we care, right Sarah? :D

15. craigrr

Jun 8, 1999
    One other thing that needs to be brought up here- ABSOLUTELY NO ONE is immune to being mocked or made fun of. Everybody is fair game, but it is all in fun. I get made fun of for not coming to meetings very often. John has his Acklay incident. Sarah, well she's just Sarah. Nuff said there. At one point or another, we're all on the stinky end of the stick when it comes to being teased or mocked. It's nothing personal. In a way, I think it keeps us all grounded. We've all met SW fans who are snobs. They think they're a bigger fan than everyone else & feel the need to set out to prove it. They're also the same ones who are no longer with us. It's all based on love. If the rest of the OFFers stopped teasing me, I'd get worried.

16. Darth_Tharon

Aug 5, 2003

OK, OK. I get the idea about funning around. No need to rub my nose in it. I understand that's the way our group is, and I both accept it and love it. I wouldn't have joined up if it wasn't that way, but that just HAPPENED to be a topic where I was seriously interested in finding out more about people, and I guess I took the funning around a bit out of context. Sorry about that.

Carry on. Now you may all continue what you were doing, as you were doing it, etc.

I love a good sense of humor as well as the next guy. (When I saw my face in the mirror every day, believe me, I *LEARNED* to have a sense of humor!) I wasn't trying to be pissy about it, or overly sensitive, or whatever, and I *DO* enjoy our back-and-forth banter on the boards and at our meetings. This just happened to be something where I was digging for a little info to get to know people, and it didn't seem to be heading in that direction in the way that I wanted it. But sometimes we don't always get what we want. And that's OK.

I agree that sci-fi, Star Wars, and life itself shouldn't be taken too seriously. I guess I just had a momentary fit of pique and I apologize for that. Been kinda stressed out lately (being unemployed will do that to a fellow), although that's no excuse either.

I hope we kick the stuffing out of Penn State. Talk about classless fans--even after winning 40-7, I heard some of them spit on our players as the Huskers were leaving Beaver Stadium last year. Maybe our fans can show them what the real meaning of class in college football is this year, after the Huskers win, 31-17. You heard it here first.

And relax, I'm not taking anything anyone said personally. I enjoy the banter and the jokes and everything, and I well know that the first casualty in posting and during our get-togethers is self-esteem. I'm fair game as well as anyone else, but I just wanted to point out that this was one of the few "semi-serious" topics that I will ever breach on the TFN boards. Apologies to all on that front, and thanks for posting. I continue to try to be not-serious, but I did have to point out my intent with this thread to make things clear.

Anyone up for a game of Axis & Allies, let me know. Later all!

CHRIS
    402-334-8969

17. Darth_Tharon

Aug 5, 2003

BTW, Craig, good call about Episode III. I haven't even heard much yet, and I haven't seen/heard any of the spoiler info, but it does sound like it will be AWESOME. Can't wait for it!

However, the only thing that worries me is, how is Lucas EVER going to cover everything adequately in one more movie? He's got to cover the Clone Wars, the consummation of Anakin and Padme's relationship, the production of the Skywalker younglings, Anakin's fall, the Jedi Purge, the rise of the Empire, and the ascension of God (I mean, Palpatine) toward becoming Emperor.

I always wanted to know more about the Clone Wars, and frankly, they are not coming about in the way that I had always envisioned it as a kid/young adult. However, I'm not Lucas, and his vision is the one that counts.

Anybody else think that Palpatine will (eventually) suborn the clone troopers of the Republic and basically convert them into his own Imperial stormtrooper legions? Interesting question, and that's what I think he will do, at least for now (until more info appears or I change my mind). Comments and assassinations of my self-esteem are welcome . . .

Darth Tharon, Sith Lord (Apprentice)

18. craigrr

Jun 8, 1999
    Here's my take- First & foremost, I've become a spoiler junkie, but I won't spill any beans for anyone. But my theory is, the cloning facilities are destroyed at some point by the Seperatists, thus the need to recruit from the general populace. I think a a lot of the events are going to be implied rather than actually seen. I think most of the Jedi will be wiped out in the Clone Wars. With most of the Jedi (presumably) tied up in the war, there won't be enough to train the next generation. This will help in Jedi Purge. Without the previous numbers, there won't be as many to hunt down. Plus, I get the feeling most of the Jedi will be wiped out in one catastrophic event. Again, I'm speculating here. I think most of the movie will focus on Anakin's "death" and "rebirth" as Vader. I don't think this is really a spoiler, but from what I've read, Obi-Wan's & Anakin's big duel is going to be HUGE! Literally. SOunds like it'll be unlike anything we've seen in any previous SW film. I can't wait for May 2005. It can't get here soon enough.

And, don't worry about it Chris. I understand where you're coming from. From experiance, in the past when someone's posted something like that, no good has come from it. Eventually, we get around to the point of the conversation. We're just one big disfunctional family.

19. TK750

Oct 22, 2001
    Yeah! So there! :p

I was just reading the posts on the clones, and I have a different take on things. The clones have to continue on, so the cloning centers can't be destroyed. Why would I say this? According to the Directors commentary on the Episode II DVD Jango bangs his head on the Slave I entry way to tie him to the stormtrooper in Episode IV who bangs his head on the Death Star. My theory is that there are several other sources for clones chosen later on, but also to help the populace feel included in government some positions have opened to include instead of clones. Also, clones are expensive, so outfitting every ship with a clone that will last at most 10 years would get expensive, so more permanent sources would be required. I think that by the time of the Thrawn trilogy so many cloning centers have been destroyed by Imperial feuding and rebel attacks that Luke wouldn't have come across too many stormtrooper clones. That's why he doesn't recognize their force signature when he faces them. Just my two cents. Now, tear it apart and remember, Viaklay. Don't leave home without it.

20. craigrr

Jun 8, 1999
    Your take on the clones doesn make sense. I'll amend my previous statement by saying the MAIN cloning facility is destroyed, leaving the satellite locations to pick up the slack. I hadn't thought about the aging factor either. If a clone ages twice as face, they'd only last half as long, but to raise a large army in a short amount of time the cloning makes sense. They could be trained from birth, thus having them ready for battle that much sooner. Guess we'll have to wait another year & a half to see. Actually, I'd be surprised if a lot of the Clone Wars isn't covered in the EU novels and the cartoon series.

I have a feeling Episode 3 will end up being my absolute favorite, but who knows. I don't think George will cock it up. Like Episodes 1 & 2, I'm sure it'll be critic-proof.

21. TK750

Oct 22, 2001
    I remember reading that Timothy Zahn is going to cover a lot of the issues with Spaarti cylinders and other cloning techniques in one of his upcoming novels. Hopefully this will clarify exactly what happens with them all, but this is a bit off topic. Hopefully, Episode III will be the darkest of them all, just as Bilbo is the bravest little Hobbitt of them all! Damn the man, save the Empire!

22. Darth_Tharon

Aug 5, 2003

Nassty little hobbitses . . . Baggins, we hates you, we hates you, we hates you FOREVER!!!

(Just kidding, Bilbo was the man! If he wasn't like, 127 years old when the Fellowship was formed, he would have gone on that quest and pitched the Ring into the Cracks of Doom HIMSELF.)

I've got some ideas about cloneses and stormtrooperses and such, but I will wait for another post, after I've had sssome time to let the ideas in my brain marinate for a little bit and I can speak intelligently upon these topicses . . .

23. paperclipx

Jan 8, 2001
    Well we dont have that long to wait, Chris, most of us only have another 50 years or so...

24. Darth_Tharon

Aug 5, 2003

Now that's OLD SCHOOL. Kicking me right between the wedding tackles, I see? Was that even necessary?!? And what did I ever do to you?!?

You're no fun, you nassty little Bagginses . . . sssss . . .

PRAY that you NEVER run a character in one of MY Star Wars RPG campaigns, because YOU-WILL-NEVER-MAKE-IT-OUT-ALIVE. *EVER.* ;)

25. craigrr

Jun 8, 1999
    "Kicking me right between the wedding tackles"

You have 2?! You should be in...ahem..."movies"! I hear that pays pretty good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.