main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

You're the Sith Lord...

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by sushimilk, Jan 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sushimilk

sushimilk Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 19, 2005
    had that conversation between palps and anakin taken place in the theatre about plagueis, would anakin have struck palps down when he revealed himself as a sith?

2. JMN77

JMN77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    If he had told Anakin he was the Sith Lord at the theater??
    Is that what your asking?

3. sushimilk

Apr 19, 2005
    no im referring to when anakin realizes that palps is the sith lord and draws his saber on him.
    if the conversation never took place in the theatre would anakin have had any qualms about taking his head..

4. JediCouncilMaster

JediCouncilMaster Jedi Youngling star 6

Jun 23, 2005
    So you're trying to say about the discussion in the theater? What if it never took place? And if he would be questioning himself?

Yes, of course. Anakin wouldn't even get the idea out of his mind. Why would he ever drop the subject?

5. LORDVIGILANCE

LORDVIGILANCE Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 11, 2005
    Chancellor Palpatine was Anakin's only pathway to an ability to save Padme. If Palpatine had not revealed that information concerning the power of Darth Plagueis I really think Anakin might of assassinated Palpatine then and there. I think things would have been in black and white for Anakin if Palpatine hadn't revealed that. Good and evil, Jedi and Sith the line would have been drawn. No power to save Padme, no mercy for Palpatine.

Sure, Palpatine was Anakin's friend and mentor for two decades but that didn't stop him from pulling the lightsaber out and wanting to kill him anyway.

6. JMN77

Sep 19, 2005
    Oh, I gotcha!

Palpatine- "Are you going to kill me?"
    Anakin- "I'd sure like to!"

If Anakin had'nt known the "cheating death" story
    (thus the seeds of NEEDING Palpatine are presented),
    Palp's probably would have never gotten that many words out of his mouth!

7. sushimilk

Apr 19, 2005
    it makes you wonder.
    anakin went and talked to yoda about the problem he was having early on in the film.
    if what he heard from palps in the theatre was convincing, why do you suppose he didnt ask yoda about such things? Would that have not been a red flag that palps was a sith lord.
    It just seems a little stupid, that Anakin is this all powerful jedi and yet hes a brainless koo. I dont think the turn was about padme or cheating death at all.
    i really believe it was about Anakin having a father figure in his life.
    yoda didnt tell anakin what he wanted to hear, and palps did.
    simply put.
    so the reason i think he didnt kill him was because hes been the only father figure in his life, and you can see it in his eyes when he says "i would certainly like to"
    he felt like he needed to but palps was his Poppy.

8. JMN77

Sep 19, 2005
    Well done sushimilk!
    You're absolutly right. Palps was his father figure, friend and mentor.
    And as for saving Padme... that was his intent at first, but at the end
    of the day, Anakin was thinking only of himself and his need for power.
    And yeah he was kinda brainless, eh?

9. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003
    What a hero, he could have been, to finally end the Sith line by killing the master and the apprentice, all within, what a week.

10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Without the story of "The Tragedy of Darth Plagueis The Wise", Darth Sidious would've been either killed or arrested. Palpatine needed to tell Anakin this to get him on his side.

11. Maranelo_Jori

Maranelo_Jori Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 22, 2004
    Well, I really dont think that Palps would let Anakin kill him. He would propably done something if Anakin tryied to cut his head off.

12. DarthJuggalo

DarthJuggalo Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2005
    Palpatine was telling Anakin everything he wanted to hear since the first time they met.

I think that was the deciding factor. Anakin felt(especially in RotS)that Palps was the only one who trusted him.

Obi wan was just as big of a father figure to Anakin as Palpatine if not more so.....

Anakin needed someone to feed his ego. Palpatine did just that....

So basically, It was Palps against Obi Wan.

He was basically raised by Obi Wan who was like his Hard nosed father that was trying to make Anakin a better man. Palpatine was like the step dad who wants to be your friend. Instead of teaching Anakin how to be a better man he told him what he wanted to hear.

Then the fact that Palps said he could save Padme was more or less the icing on the cake for Anakin's decesion.

Whether Anakin would've struck Palps down without hearing about the power to save Padme remains to be seen. I think it depends on which Anakin we're talking about. He's borderline Skitzofrantic.

13. Master_EdgeCrusher

Master_EdgeCrusher Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 21, 2005
    yeah I see that. To keep him alive in order to learn how to allow his love to live.....Yes I say!

14. DARTHJOSEPH

DARTHJOSEPH Jedi Youngling star 2

May 11, 2005
    The only reason Anakin saved Palpatine was to learn how to save Padme and even after that he never fully commited to the Dark Side. For example...Anakin isn't exactly happy that he helped with Mace's death...he is completely shocked. Also, he sounds like he is in pain when he's killing the Seperatist leaders. The tear in his eye afterwards shows regret. And....drum roll...he kills Palps in ROTJ. Anakin loves his family above all else...Jedi, Sith, friend or enenmy. The promise of saving Padme is the only thing that Palps could have seduced him with. That's why there are two movies before ROTS showing how it's Anakin's attachment to his family that provides almost all of the motivation to the Anakin/Vader character...leaving his mother in ep1, losing his mother in ep2, fear of losing Padme in ep 3
    and fear of losing Luke in ep 6.

15. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003

Well since Anakin is the chosen one and the prophecy is true........if Anakin made up his mind right then to destroy the Sith I don't see why he wouldn't have defeated Palpatine.

16. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I think that had Anakin not thought he needed to save Palpatine if he wanted to stop Padme's death he would have killed him right there. I know that many people think that Anakin couldn't kill the Emperor because he wasn't powerful enough, but Obi-Wan was able to beat Anakin and he's weaker and it looked to me like a weaker Mace Windu defeated a more powerful Sidious but I know that's still debated.

17. TheDarkSideAreThey

TheDarkSideAreThey Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 24, 2004
    If the story of Plagueis and the knowledge of manipulating life through the Darkside conversation hadn't taken place, Anakin would have likely attacked Palpatine. Whether he would have succeeded or not is a point of debate.

Palpatine still would have played on Anakin's emotions. Why exactly did Palpatine bother to tell Anakin the story to begin with? He knew what Anaking had seen. He had to. If Palps hadn't told Anakin at the theater, he very well could've told him right before Anakin tried to decapitate him, resulting in the same outcome.

Palpatine is very confident that no one can "strike him down", the way he throws that out there every chance he gets. He would've put Anakin on his butt if he tried to.

18. Master_EdgeCrusher

Dec 21, 2005
    yeah even the debate ewith Ani and Obi will be one that will never be understood, other than the fact that it had to be that way in order for Anakin to become Vader!

19. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    I doubt Anakin would have tried killing him in front of everyone at the theater. He probably would have reported him to Mace or Yoda.

20. Master_EdgeCrusher

Dec 21, 2005
    which is what he did eventually

21. Palps

Palps Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 21, 2003

I agree! I'm convinced that Anakin would have defeated Palpatine had he not needed him.

22. JediCouncilMaster

JediCouncilMaster Jedi Youngling star 6

Jun 23, 2005
    Anakin had his doubts. He wouldn't do such a thing.

23. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    No, he wouldn't have killed him. Look at how the scene goes: Palpatine talk about saving Padme, and only then does Anakin ignite his saber. Anakin doesn't back down until Palpatine brings up the "I know you would", basically telling Anakin he's treading close to the dark side. That's what keeps Anakin from killing him. Anakin didn't refrain from killing him then because of Padme (or at least not just because of it, or even I think primarily because of it). He did it because he knew that Palpatine was trying to get him to strike him down in anger, just like he did with Luke, and Anakin wasn't having any part in that.

24. Master_EdgeCrusher

Dec 21, 2005
    Do you really think Anakin could have destroyed Palps?

25. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003

I could not have put it any better, even if I had typed that myself...

From the first time they met, Palpatine poured a magic "honey-potion" in Anakin's ear. Everything else after that, must've sounded sweet. Like music... or a lullaby written just for the "Chosen Fool".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.