main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Zabrek makeup and prosthetics?

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Amanita, Mar 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amanita

Amanita Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2003
    Has anyone here done Zabrek makeup, for characters other than Darth Maul?
    I would like to learn latex prosthetic makeup, and a female Zabrek Jedi seems like a good character to begin with.
    I was thinking of modelling the makeup job at least partly off of Agen Kolar- his horns are mainly on his forehead, abd he's got a full head of hair- a bonus for me since I also have long brown hair.

So here's the big question- would it be easier to make one prosthetic piece for my whole forehead that's got all those horns built right in, or would I be better off skulpting and applying each horn seperately? (two large horns, six little ones)
    I worry that seperate horns might be more prone to coming loose when I've been wearing the makeup all day.

2. FETT-MAN

FETT-MAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2005
    Well (not that I've done this myself, this is just from people I've seen try this), there's this great place called Kropserkel and they've got a great Maul costume. As far as makeup if I remember correctly they said something like get a bald cap and make you're own horns, then glue them. But others have contradicted this theory and said 'just shave your head (or in your case forehead) and make latex horns, and apply them to your skin.' Which way is the best? I'm not sure because I've never made a Maul before. They both seem reasonable to me. Which ever's easier for you, I guess.

3. King_of_Skulls

King_of_Skulls Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 29, 2006
    I've not done a Zabrek, but have seen a few 'bald cap' versions. They look ok, but the one's I've seen really suffer from the heat (start wrinkling and such), so I think something formed from a heavier latex would do you well. Also, if using a heavier latex, you could probably get away with forming the horns into the cap you make, and avoid having to go with seperate horns. It shouldn't take much latex to do it either way, and you're likely going to havbe enough left over to try both versions. So I'd just play with both ideas, and give yourself time to try them both out before you make an appearance.

On the topic of learning fx make-up
    This Book and this one are good starting points. You can find used copies of both of them on Amazon right now for about $20 each.

4. Minder

Minder Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2002
    OK this is a REALLY long answer, and you havent really given enough information for me to give you a really accurate or detailed answer.

No Zabrak has a full head of hair, they all have receeding hairlines of one sort or another. You have to deal with that, then you need to deal with the transition from the horn area to the hair, and this will likely mean fake hair also.

The actual horns are the easiest part. Any costume makeup shop has several sizes of horns.

Give me a picture of what you want and Ill give you a more detailed explaination.

5. Amanita

May 12, 2003
    I do want hair, so no full head bald caps for me.
    I don't have access to a scanner right now, so I guess something like what you've got in your avatar pic would be what I'm going for, only lighter skinned. A fairly high forehead with two major horns and a few tiny ones. I'm guessing that a one piece prosthetic with some fake hair would be the way to go here?

6. King_of_Skulls

King_of_Skulls Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 29, 2006
    I think the one piece would be easier in the long run. If you make it as a mask/cap it'll save time over several appearances. The fake hair makes it an easy blend on sides and rear, and is easily attained (Sally's Beauty Supply has a variety usually) and make-up application can blend easy enough on the forehead and face. If you make the latex portion thin enough, the blend will be easy.

7. Minder

May 28, 2002
    My Avatar is Eth Koth, Jedi master. Your guy Agen Kolar was brought in to replace him when the actor was unavailable for AOTC

I am actually going to suggest a thicker (High quality) bald cap and a good wig that is the same color as your own hair (If you want your own hair to augment the wig) Now here is the hard part. You need to fit the bald cap to your head (The eyebrow line is the best place to end the cap because its easier to hide the line. Once you have the bald cap fit, now you fit the wig over it, and decide where your hairline will go. Next attach the 2 together, and cut away any excess.

Now the REALLY hard part. Hide the edge of the wig at the hairline. Take some liquid latex, and gently push it up over the roots of the leading edge of the hair, so it looks like the hair is growing up through the latex. Make sure you secure the 2 together more securely a bit further back. You can even cut away any parts of the bald cap that aren?t visible IF you secure the wig well enough. (Be careful not to cut too much away or it will become unstable.

Now buy and attach your horns where you want them.

Hiding the edges of the horns and the bald cap.

You simply layer liquid latex over the edges and feather it out. The first coat should cover the edges well, and extend up to 1/4 or even 1/2 inch out, and should be fairly thin (This will be the REAL edge so be careful with it.) After that dries, look for the ridges, and use the latex to fill in the voids so that the ridges become slopes, and hence disappear.

Makeup!
    Makeup OFTEN has difficulty covering latex. Your makeup may well look completely different when on the latex or on your skin, so do tests! Find the makeup, which works, for you.

You can paint the horns (I do) but be sure to use latex paint if your horns are flexible because normal acrylic paint will crack on you.

8. Amanita

May 12, 2003
    I think I can visualize what you're talking about there, just one thing-
    Aside from the belnding where the bald cap and wig meet, what's a good way to attach the bald cap securely to the wig?
    Sew it in place, perhaps?

9. Minder

May 28, 2002
    When I did mine thats exactly what I did :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.