main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Zahn Trilogy with CG (Speculative)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Soothsayer, Jun 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soothsayer

Soothsayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 20, 1999
    I just thought of something when watching the trailer for the Star Wars The Old Republic videogame which has some great CG if interested...well it got me thinking.

How interested would people be if the Zahn Trilogy was made into a movie using CG rather that live action as we know we could never replace Han, Luke and Co with new actors.

I for one think if done correctly could be very entertaining.

I was just curious if anyone else has ever thought of this and what your take on something like that would be.

2. kardde20

kardde20 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 4, 2008
    this is the project that i have been praying LFL would do for years now along with shadows of the empire. i think it would be amazing and there is no reason why they couldn't do it. the story and characters are both top notch but sadly lucas doesn't seem to have interest in this material. that being said, lucas has been known to change his mind. i'm hoping that one day he will see the light.

3. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    I'd certainly watch it, were they to make such... but I think I'd rather them make new material instead.

4. WookieeAlpha

WookieeAlpha Jedi Youngling

Jun 2, 2009
    I did think about it too. Back in the day of Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within I thought it'd be nice if Lucas and his empire would lean towards making expanded universe classics into, at least, cg mini-series. The Zahn Trilogy and/or Shadows of the Empire would be good starting points imho.

Now with the SW:TOR cinematic released today, it's clear Lucas should bet heavily on CG to continue the SW Legacy. But, as much as I love Lucas and his universe, he should leave the direction and writing to others.

I'm going a bit off-topic, but that cinematic is everything EP I, II and III should have been but fell REAL short.

5. Soothsayer

Sep 20, 1999
    I agree that the chances of it happening are slim to none.

They could really be the first mainstream full CG movies that are not kid Pixar based and you know LFL along with ILM could do some incredible CG.

For me, I would love to see things post ROTJ. I know ROTJ has the perfect ending point, but the material out there (books) are still better than any thing we have scene in a long time. While I enjoy TCW and am looking forward to the live action show I do sometimes grow a bit tired of the prequel era, which is why I would like a fresh time period.

6. deepbluejedi

deepbluejedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2002
    Does anyone remember this from 2007?

Tales of the New Republic

It looked so good and we thought it was legit, then it turned out to be a project someone was working on. But it looked like they were going to go into events after ROTJ, with Thrawn and other stuff from the Zahn books. This would've been so sweet. I was really disappointed when this was fake, and Lucas decides to cram more Clone Wars down our throats.

7. WookieeAlpha

WookieeAlpha Jedi Youngling

Jun 2, 2009
    I remember that, but to be honest, I was not impressed by it. I didn't like the style of the character design and the animation was not THAT good. However, as a fan-made project it is without a doubt a pretty good result they got there as far as a technical achievement goes.

One thing I never really understood was what did the clone troopers, etc were doing there, as well as other prequel character references, maybe a summary of what happened in the older movies or something... but still, didn't make that much sense either.

8. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I would like to see more of the Knights of the old Republic and Tales of the Jedi series in CG like the way the made Beowulf into that kind of format. Shadows of the Empire would be kinda cool.

9. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    For some reason I always pictured Thrawn to have the voice of Armand Assante

10. zark

zark Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2009
    Your right the CG on that was gorgeous and that would be a great series to do it with. I'd personally see them as full length films rather than tv shows. Gives a more fulfilling feel to it. It would be cool to see Joruus C'baoth and the Noghri in CG. And I'd love to see how they would do Talon Kaarde. But more than likely it's nothing but wishful thinking.

11. Soothsayer

Sep 20, 1999
    I agree with this. I would love to see a movie made, but sadly I doubt it ever happens.

I remember 15 years ago or however long ago it was that I read the Zahn books I always imagined Thrawn as Alec Baldwin.

12. Sven_Starcrown

Sven_Starcrown Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 10, 2009
    Who should direct it?

13. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Someone with a live action background.

14. Sloppy

Sloppy Jedi Youngling star 1

May 2, 2009
    some how I have always thought of the cg trailer as a 2 part effort to

1. promote the game in a epic, cool and fresh way

2. Try to force lucas eys up when it comes tho cg and the possibility to do something more with star wars

Guess i still lives in the dark

on topic I would love a cg movie based on zahn.
    Currently reading heir to the empire (guess I have to thank the clone wars series for promoting it)
    But i do hope they updates the series to make then fitt better with the movies and comics (it's been some time since he wrote them, although I do not think there is a problem with conflicting stories)

15. goraq

goraq Jedi Youngling star 4

May 15, 2008
    Shane posted:
    Someone with a live action background.

Just someone is not good enough, we are talking about Thrawn here.

16. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Okay, Uwe Boll

[face_sick]

Seriously, I have no idea.

17. LordNergal

LordNergal Jedi Youngling

Jun 28, 2009
    I don't believe Lucus would ever take someone else's work and turn it into the next trilogy but i do agree that the video game cgi trailers have become so beautiful that theres no reason he couldn't do an orginal story using this technology.

18. Meriwyn

Meriwyn Former RSA star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    This would so own. If they did it in the animation style of the Clone Wars, heck, you could probably even get Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher to do the voices. Not sure about Harrison Ford, but you know Anthony Daniels would do it.

19. Hendo255

Hendo255 Jedi Master star 2

Feb 23, 2009
    HAHAH I thought I just felt a great disturbance in the force...

20. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    As if a million SW fans cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced

21. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    I'd hate it. But that's because I don't like the Zahn trilogy.

Why? The main characters, especially Luke, are really out of character.

Luke is really naive, as if RotJ never happened. C'baoth is silly. The evil clone is silly.

Only thing cool about it is Thrawn.

22. Icebreaker

Icebreaker Jedi Master star 4

Aug 20, 2001
    I don't see Lucas ever using something from the EU.

-matthew

23. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    I agree completely.

24. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    I agree, I never really cared for post ROTJ EU, but if Lucas ever did go in that direction he would come up with his own material.

25. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Coruscant, Quinlan Vos, speeder bikes, the Outrider, the Tund system, and Juggernauts beg to differ.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.