main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Zeldafan's Lounge

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Mace_Windo, Apr 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Here's something to the topic I think- in the past 10 years or so we've seen the trend of adapting video games into movies. Usually with poor results due to any number of factors (not the least of which is they tpically adapt games that are not story based and are just current fads such as Street Fighter). Now, lately they've been inching up in quality from the poor start they got from Super Mario Bros and Street Fighter into somewhat-ok films such as Mortal Kombat (ignoring the sequel) and Tomb Raider, to now decent, if only rental-quality, films such as Resident Evil (which, granted, was thought to be a terrible movie by some, but at the same time was highly enjoyed by others, which is more than can be said for the others I've listed, with the possible exception of MK). And now, we have adaptations of American McGee's Alice (w/Wes Craven directing), Metal Gear Solid (at New Line), Resident Evil 2: Nemesis (also New Line), & Silent Hill on their way into preproduction. So it looks like we're starting to see a gradual increase in quality as the studios start to correct the problems that have plagued earlier attempts (adapting non-story based titles, poor talent behind the camera, a seriously disturbing lack of fans of the games making the films, etc).

How this comes on topic is that, if the quality and profitability of these properties start to increase, it could be only a manner of time before a Zelda film is approached- especially since essentially (for lack of a better comparison) Zelda is to video games what the Lord of the Rings is to books (not to mention the vague similarities in genre).

So, if this were to happen one day, what you want to see translated or integrated to the film that would make it a better, or more faithful, film?

Obviously we would hope Nintendo would try to oversee a good degree of quality control to the script/film as a whole since Zelda is by far their most valuable property and wouldn't want an inferior film to harm the series' future marketability.

Me, personally, I would enjoy seeing either Ocarina of Time or A Link to the Past's storyline used, as those two have the best plot and contribute the most to the Zelda mythology. I would also hope they could give Zelda a more active role, so the film would not be dragged down by an overly-large "rescue the princess" ordeal (although, obviously, that element would have to be present SOMEWHERE if one were to do ALTTP, since she must be sent to the dark world with the other maidens by Agahnim, but her role could be expanded between her escape from the castle and her banishment.).

One element I'm unsure about is the "zap"- if you ever watch any of the old zelda cartoons, despite the old-skool game sound effects, it does show that the concept does have potential (although the "recoil" is a little silly) but one must wonder if it would translate well to live action. I'm thinking it could be done, but it's still a bit iffy.

Anyways, what're your thoughts?

2. Mace_Windo

Mace_Windo Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2001
    i wanna see zelda anime style :D

3. Mace_Windo

Aug 31, 2001
  4. Jomero

Jomero Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 3, 1999
    I liked Zelda II. I think most people that hated it weren't really around for it when it actually hit the shelves. More like "Wow, the SNES version is cool! I gotta try the others! What? What's this crap? I'm not going through this!"

Each successive Zelda (for the main Nintendo consoles) have offered something radically different than the ones before it. Zelda II was no different, nor will the Cell Shaded one.

-Jomero, who still hasn't wussed out and bought a "new" console just because they're "new." The boy has patience! ;)

5. obi_wan_kanathan

obi_wan_kanathan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2001
    Has anyone played the Zelda games for that non Nintendo console? I think that it was called CDi or something like that. All that I know is that the games were not very good.

6. Jomero

Jomero Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 3, 1999
    Never have, never will. I don't even think Nintendo owns the rights to them. Phillips does.

-Jomero

7. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    >>>I liked Zelda II. I think most people that hated it weren't really around for it when it actually hit the shelves. More like "Wow, the SNES version is cool! I gotta try the others! What? What's this crap? I'm not going through this!"<<<

That pretty much sums it up. :D My intrest in Zelda pretty much died after the SNES one.

Another Zelda picture.

[image=http://www.arachnia.com/add-images/Movie-Images/Pet-Sematary/zelda-2.jpg]
    :p

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

8. obi_wan_kanathan

May 10, 2001
    You weren't interested in Ocarina of Time? [face_shocked]

9. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    It was ok. But the characters and the story just didn't intrest me anymore, to tell the truth I was kind of sick of looking at Link. I played it for the sake of playing it and that was about it.

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

10. Crix-Madine

Crix-Madine Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2000
    I loved Orcarina of Time, I had the biggest urge to play it the other day!

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    A Link to the Past is still the better game, IMO. The pace and sense of urgency was there which was missing in OOT. I just popped in ALTTP the other day and just got sucked into it again. You just can't beat the music from the game, every single piece is so exciting or erie (not counting fairy fountains). Dark World Overworld theme rules!

12. obi_wan_kanathan

May 10, 2001
    I have to agree with you, 2ndQuest about the music in Link to the Past. I hope they reuse it in the GameCube Zelda game. What would be really cool is if they used those pieces of music but had an orchastra record them. [face_drool]

13. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    Hey Mace-Windo I checked that Zelda site out and imagine to my surprise I saw that they had a few of the old Zelda cartoons and even two Captin N episodes. Unfortunatly I couln't get them to unzip correctly. :(

14. Rogue-Leader

Rogue-Leader Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2001
    I'm a big Zelda fan. Next to Rogue Squadron and Smash Bros. Ocarina of Time was my favorite game for N64.

15. Mace_Windo

Aug 31, 2001
    Pat-Fett:Do u have the newest winzip version??

16. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    The two oracle games were fun, but I still haven't played the combined quest yet, to get to the final battle with ganon.

17. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    Unless a new version came out in the last few months then no.

18. Mace_Windo

Aug 31, 2001
    it should work :( , worked for me

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >> I have to agree with you, 2ndQuest about the music in Link to the Past. I hope they reuse it in the GameCube Zelda game. What would be really cool is if they used those pieces of music but had an orchastra record them.<<

There is a japanese import-CD that is of an orchestra doing renditions of the themes from Ocarina of Time- but the REAL treat is the last track, which is a medly of various musical themes from older games which includes the Dark World Overworld Theme, Marin's tune from Link's Awakening, the Legend of Zelda underworld/dungeon theme and, I believe the opening theme to Zelda 2, all bookended my the main Zelda fanfare (Light World Overworld Theme).

That track is really the highlight of the CD though, as OOT's music was, for the most part, more ambient towards specific settings than the fanfarish adventuristic nature of ALTTP (of cousre there are exceptions..and Gerudo Valley's music is quite good ::) ).

20. obi_wan_kanathan

May 10, 2001
    I've heard that music and I really like it. I don't think that they could use all of it in another Zelda game though. Some of it doesn't fit the tone of the game like the original music did. What would be really nice, though it will never happen, is to have John Williams make music for a Zelda game. [face_really_drool] :D

21. Mace_Windo

Aug 31, 2001
    must get music :D

22. Rogue-Leader

Rogue-Leader Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2001
    I liked the music from Ocarina of Time a lot, it went along very well with what was happening in the game. When is the Zelda game for GC coming out, anybody?

23. Mace_Windo

Aug 31, 2001
    If it stays Cell-Shaded, I DON'T CARE :D

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Supposedly John Williams once did a Zelda theme performance with the Boston Pops orchestra- I have an MP3 of it, but it's difficult to say if it actually is Williams or a file thats just labeled Williams. It did have some moments that have similarities to the Superman theme though, so it's possible I suppose. There was also one for Super Mario Bros as well.

I've also come across a third orchestral rendition of the Zelda fanfare as well. Alas, then Napster shut down[face_batting]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.