main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends 200 Proposals [L/M] - Complete!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by ginchy, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Demendora

Demendora Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 9, 2010
    I think, Mara perfectly understands, how truly lucky she is. She is a beloved woman of Luke Skywalker, and she is carrying his child with the rest of the family in the package. Mara is just too stubborn to admit that she is happy. She loves Luke's proposals and his care. The only problem as it seems, she just can't let it go. But I know, she is closer and closer to saying "yes".[face_love]

ginchy likes this.
  2. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    Love Mara's interaction with the others of her new family, and also Luke's morning conversations with the baby. Looking forward to the baby's arrival! Sweet update.

3. lukemaraben

lukemaraben Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 2, 2012
    Very sweet. I love those moments when reading a fan-fic, that make me go this is why I love Luke/Mara, and this was one of those! Great job.

4. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    As an author myself, I know exactly that feeling. I just wanted to say that what you wrote is still lovely and wonderful, even if it doesn't quite meet the strict standards you have for yourself. Sometimes, not quite right is okay - after all, isn't that the way life is most of the time? :)

I feel so sad to realise that this story will be ending soon! We're already at the 189th proposal today, and Mara will be delivering the baby soon!

I'm really curious to know what the final result is! (As you can tell, I haven't read Echoes of Always... [face_blush])

For some reason I especially loved Day 187, when Luke specially awoke early to get breakfast for Mara. For some reason I was reminded of a lovely mini-fic I once read, which was inspired by William Carlos Williams' poem This Is Just To Say (I have eaten/the plums/that were in/the icebox / and which/you were probably/saving/for breakfast / Forgive me/they were delicious/so sweet/and so cold), and in which the last line went “Foolish woman,” he teased gently. “I got them for you.”

Jedi Knight Fett and ginchy like this.
  5. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    *reserved for replies* (Little one is napping and may wake any minute. ;) --Phew! Made it!!)

JainaSoloYJK: Right?? She’s just so stubborn! That baby of theirs is going to be made of stubborn. LOL! Thanks!!

Briannakin: Thank you! I’m glad the Han and Mara scene came off well. I love them both but I suck at snark! And that Leia dream idea had me laughing. Glad you enjoyed. Thanks!!

EmeraldJediFire: I agree. Luke should learn that he’s going to get his head bit off! LOL Thank you!!

Daenabenjen42: hahahaha, oh, Han! Thank you!!

Taramidala: I was feeling insecure! LOL! ;) Thanks, lady!!!

Jedi_Lover: She should marry him!! He’s so cute! [face_love] And I agree about Han and Mara. They’re both scoundrels in their own ways! Thanks!!

Bkwrm752003: Thanks so much! I am relieved cause I was really worried something was missing. You’ll see her say yes in this chapter…. Hope you’ll enjoy! Thank you!!

Mayo_durron_666: She’s so stubborn. And she’s making him work for it. LOL! I’m glad you enjoyed the Han and Mara. It was fun to write, if nerve wracking. Thank you!!

Hazel: Thank you, gal!!

Jade_eyes: Awww, thanks, gal!! The crib scene was the late edition. I originally did not have that in there but taramidala asked for it once and I decided to go ahead and write it. I’m so glad you enjoyed it.

Demendora: You are right. She does know all of those things but it’s hard to change, especially when she worked so hard to build the life she had. She is very close… ;) Thank you so much!!

Luna_Nightshade: Thanks!! I love to bring the sweet! [face_love]

Lukemaraben: High praise! Thank you so much!!

Valiowk: Thank you for that. I was so bummed that it didn’t seem to be working out the way I wanted but I’m glad that everyone enjoyed what I did write. You’ll read a bit of ‘Echoes’ in the interlude chapter… the baby’s birth. And I must say that poem was beautiful. I had never heard it before and it was perfect. I imagine the fanfic that was written with it in mind was pefect, too. I love the last line. Thanks for reading!!

TAG LIST Part 1: immertreu Briannakin Hazel Valiowk lukemaraben bkwrm752003 Luna_Nightshade

6. ginchy

May 25, 2005
    TAG LIST Part 2: mavjade Demendora DaenaBenjen42 JainaSoloYJK Blackfish mayo_durron_666 NYCitygurl

This is the last chapter of the story though there is an interlude (those of you who remember 'Birth' from EoA will recognize some of it) and an epilogue left. I hope you'll enjoy and thanks for reading!! [face_love] Also, a big thanks to taramidala for looking this over and correcting all my spelling mistakes!!

Chapter 8

The 199th
    Day 266:

Your baby is considered fully developed at this point, as you are on or very near your due-date. That means that all the development that takes place before birth has been accomplished. If born today your baby will weigh about 7 and ½ pounds...

“You’re full of energy today,” Luke said, shuffling into the kitchen and blearily pouring himself a cup of caf. He took a sip and seemed to perk somewhat.

He was generally a morning person, but Mara knew he had a lot on his mind of late. The Temple was due to be signed into his possession on behalf of the Jedi in just a day’s time. Adding to the mental load was the nervous excitement of the baby’s due date, a mere two days away. And since she had such a hard time getting comfortable in the bed now, Luke was regulated to one tiny sliver of the mattress. Late the night before she had shifted in the bed to see him hugging the side of the bed, holding on through sheer will or the power of the Force.

She smiled gently at him. “Rough night?”

“Will you kill me if I say yes?” He leaned back against the counter with a sigh. “I think my back is hurting almost as much as yours must be.”

Mara glared. “That comparison might get you killed, Farmboy. At least maimed.”

He raised a brow, a smile breaking over his face. “I’ll risk it.” He took a sip and began to look more awake, stretching his neck and rubbing at it with his hand, all the while eying her appreciatively. “You look beautiful today, Mara.”

She shook her head at the compliment. She felt anything but beautiful in one of his loose tunics and her stretchy maternity pants. But she did feel accomplished. Awakening early, it was almost as if the aches and pains that had beset her last months of pregnancy were diminished. She felt active and vital in a way she hadn’t for many weeks. Taking advantage of that energy, she had folded all of the impossibly tiny clothes the baby would need in her first weeks of life and had put them away. The nursery, a room Mara had never imagined needing in her home, was finally complete.

The once off-white walls were now a vibrant shade of light green. The crib and other furniture was in place and the room pulsed with a sense of peace and serenity. It was hard to imagine that in a few days a whole new little person would occupy that room. A stranger in many ways, but Mara felt she already knew the baby that grew inside of her. The baby was impatient like her father and would kick frantically to say that she was not pleased with the position in which her mother was lying. She was playful and would amuse her father, responding to his voice with jabs and kicks to Mara’s abdomen. And she was Force-strong, responding to them both through the Force with a small but definite sense of presence.

The baby was partly Luke, partly Mara, but already wholly herself. That thought was enough to make Mara place her hand on her belly and sigh.

Instantly Luke was on his guard. “What is it? The baby?” He put his mug on the counter and walked to her, placing his hand over hers on her stomach.

“I was just…daydreaming,” Mara admitted, embarrassed.

Luke’s lips curved in a smile. He used his hold on her hand to tug her back into his arms. “I won’t tell if you don’t.”

His whispered breath on her neck made her shiver pleasantly. She hummed and leaned back into his embrace. Luke reached for her through their ever-strengthening bond. The Force throbbed between them and their baby, binding them in its glow for long moments until Mara’s thoughts shifted inward. And that’s when she knew. Without a doubt she knew that this was the day. She could see it, could feel it.

This was the day their baby would be born.

She hid a secret smile as she turned to face Luke, and when she looked up into his eyes she realized that he did not know what she knew. He had not been a witness to the revelation. It was mother’s intuition, maybe. She debated telling him, but only for a moment as he interrupted her before she could decide.

“Mara…when we bond together like that, I can feel that we’ll be together forever.” He sighed and leaned his forehead against her temple. “I’ve asked you this many times. Maybe too many.” He laughed faintly before dipping his head and kissing her softly. His voice was husky as he continued. “But I told you that I would keep asking until you were ready…Marry me?”

Pulling back to look into his eyes, Mara knew that she could finally give him the answer he’d been waiting for. The imminent birth of their daughter brought a new perspective to her and forever was no longer an idea that brought her fear. She was ready to give him the answer he wanted to hear. The answer he deserved. The answer she wanted to give. In truth, the answer he already had.

“Yes.”

Luke didn’t seem to hear her affirmative response. He nodded just briefly and pulled back from her. “Okay, I’ll go and start…”

Mara waited.

Luke stood still, his brow furrowing slightly. “Wait.” His eyes darted to hers, searching for an answer. “Did you just… Mara. Did you say ‘yes’?”

“Did I?” She couldn’t control the smirk on her face. It had a life of its own.

“Mara! Did you or did you not just answer ‘yes’ to my proposal?”

“I don’t know. Did I?” She knew she shouldn’t tease him so badly. But it was fun.

“Don’t mess with a man that’s had to propose…Force, how many times have I proposed?” He stopped and looked as if he were trying to figure the exact number out. He shook his head. “Look, I don’t know. This one might be the only important one, anyway. Did you say yes?”

The look on his face was pathetic enough to make her give. “Yes.”

But Luke still didn’t look quite satisfied. “Yes. You said yes.”

“Yes. I said yes. Don’t make me regret it!”

The smile that bloomed on his face only verified to her that she never would regret it.

He pulled her close, kissing her softly, whispering what she already knew. “You never will.”

Mara smiled into his kiss before pulling back and framing his face in her hands. “I’d better not.”

He grinned. “So…when should be plan the big day?

Dropping her hands to her belly, Mara pretended to think it over. “Can we plan it in the next few hours?”

“What?” Luke suddenly looked like he was having trouble keeping up. “The next few hours?”

“Yeah, I’d like to get married today, if possible.”

“Today?”

“Is that a problem?” She was ready. She realized that she had spent the last few months getting ready. And now that she was, she didn’t want any lapse in time to keep them from marrying.

“Not at all.” His grin was somewhat devilish. He started to walk down the hall. “Just...just let me comm Leia.”

Mara watched him go, absently making herself a cup of decaf. She sat down to what she realized may be one of the last truly quiet moments of her life. She released a happy breath and shook her head in wonder at all the changes the day before her would soon bring into their lives.

She didn’t have to wonder long because within the hour Leia showed up at their apartment with a couple of dress bags, ready to take charge.

“You,” she said to Luke, who stood with hair still wet and spiked from his shower. “Pack up the clothes we discussed and head to my place. Han will meet you there. You, he and Chewie will take the children and meet us at 1400. I’ve already procured the civil justice you mentioned.”

Luke nodded and fell into line, walking off toward their bedroom. Mara felt as if she were seeing one of the reasons the ragtag Rebellion had won the war. Leia truly was a force of to be reckoned with.

“And you,” Leia said, walking toward Mara with a narrowed gaze. She gave up the act and grinned. “It’s about time!” She pulled her into a hug, awkward with Mara’s large belly between them. “What changed your mind?”

Mara shook her head. “It’s just—”

“Time,” Leia finished. “I’m so happy for you. But we don’t have time for this. We need to get you into one of these dresses and get you two married before you have another guest at the ceremony.”

One of the dresses fit and was actually flattering over her huge belly. With a high, choker collar that tied in a ribbon trailing down her partially exposed back, it took the eye from her stomach and made her look almost lean again. The fabric flowed when she walked and also helped to conceal her belly. All in all it was beautiful and functional and something that she might have picked herself, but was very glad that her future sister-in-law had picked in her stead. It was surprisingly comfortable and she wore it from the apartment, en route to the wedding.

Leia drove Mara’s speeder as Mara no longer fit behind the wheel, a fact that galled her. But as Leia explained the dress and proceedings and spoke of how the wedding details had been simmering in Luke’s mind for months, she didn’t mind the break from driving. It gave her time to imagine Luke and Leia planning a wedding that neither was completely sure was going to take place. Between the two of them they had set up a wedding in under three hours. Mara was not surprised that Luke had put so much thought into the wedding, but it touched her to realize that he had always been sure of her.

Leia turned sharply away from the government sector, and Mara grew confused, turning from her thoughts to glance at her. “Where are we going?”

Leia glanced over at her with her infamous ‘give me a break’ look. “Where do you think?”

“But...It’s not ready yet. He doesn’t even take possession until tomorrow.”

“You know that he wouldn’t want your wedding to be anywhere else.” Leia smiled gently. “You can’t have the man without the Jedi.”

Mara nodded. She knew that. And she knew that he wanted their wedding to be in the Jedi Temple. He had told her so himself. She just hadn’t imagined that he could pull it off with mere hours to spare. Looking through the window Mara tried to imagine the Temple set up for a wedding. With a civil justice there it wouldn’t exactly be a Jedi wedding, if there was even such a thing, but it would be private and meaningful, away from prying eyes. Mara could appreciate Luke for wanting that. In the government offices they would be targets for paparazzi and the anonymity of the surroundings would not have been Luke’s style.

As Leia parked the speeder, Mara became aware of Luke’s presence, warm and content on the edge of her consciousness. He didn’t seem to be nervous, or scared and she smiled slightly. His warmth calmed her, and the baby, quiet for most of the day, moved just slightly as if to remind her mother that she was part of the day, too.

Stepping from the speeder, Mara walked toward her future.

The walls were clean. That was Mara’s first thought upon walking into the Temple. Luke had yet to take physical possession but that had not stopped him and several others from working, cleaning and restoring. He had taken her to the Temple once, almost a year before, and it had been a place of shadows, darkness palpable and clinging. But now she stood in an alcove off a large room, and could see sunlight shining in, making a path on the stone floor. She realized that Luke had been working on this room, and most probably for this purpose. And now they were moments away from marrying in the Temple that he had worked so hard to win back. He had worked hard for everything he had, she realized. Including her.

She took a deep breath and watched Luke, standing on a raised dais with the justice. He was grinning broadly as he awaited her arrival, still without a sign of nervousness or worry in his posture or sense in the Force. Mara smiled inwardly to realize that she felt the same, not awkward or annoyed in the way she might have pictured herself feeling during her own wedding ceremony.

As she waited she could feel the sense of the Temple around her. The peace that she could feel was humbling. The idea that the building could be cleansed of the atrocities that had been committed there was not lost on Mara. She and Luke both had a lot of things in their pasts that they were unable to change, but with the Jedi and their new lives together they had a blank slate, a chance to restore light to the galaxy and not just through the rebuilding of the Temple or the Jedi.

“Your father is rubbing off on me,” Mara murmured, sliding a hand over her belly through a fold in her dress.

Leia’s hand on her arm caused her to look up. She nodded gratefully at her future sister and stepped out with her into the sunlight flowing through muted windows.

She walked toward Luke, ignoring the knowing grin on Han’s face and the twins’ excited cries to their mother. All she could feel was the pull that was there between she and Luke and the knowledge that soon they would be a family.

A family of three.

His grin was bright as he took her hand to help her up to stand next to him.

And then they were married.

She didn’t remember the specifics, and it was over quickly. She didn’t expect to feel any differently after it was over. The love that she felt for him was as abiding as it had been on the night she had awakened him to tell him that she was pregnant. But there was a sense of togetherness that was different, new, as they kissed and then turned to face their small audience. She didn’t wonder why she had put the marriage off for so long, because she suspected she needed that time to become accustomed to the idea. It finally felt right.

They were husband and wife. Soon to be mother and father. And Mara couldn’t help but wonder, through the haze of joy that permeated her soul, how she came to be standing there with not only her husband, but with her family.

After a celebratory dinner at the Solos’ Mara was exhausted. Her back was throbbing and her ankles were swollen. She settled gratefully down onto the sofa in her living room and noticed Luke smiling softly down at her. “What?”

“You’re beautiful, Mrs. Skywalker.”

“Ugh.” Mara dropped her head back against the couch. “Really?”

“Really,” he confirmed, coming to sit beside her. “You’ve looked gorgeous all day. I like this dress.” He toyed with the choker collar, rubbing his thumb lightly against her neck.

Mara managed to smile through a wave of back pain. It eased consistently as it had for the past hour. Leaning over, she kissed his chin. “I’m thrilled that you still want me even when I look like an overripe melon.”

“I’ll always want you.” He kissed her softly. “Always. Besides, I like melon.”

She scoffed but leaned into his kiss, only to shift uncomfortably as her back pain returned.

This time he noticed and frowned slightly. “Are you tired? You’ve been on your feet too much today. Let’s get this dress off and get you into bed.”

Mara smirked. “You’re just trying to get me undressed, Skywalker. I see through that Farmboy routine.”

“You caught me.” He grinned and stood, holding out both hands to help her up. “Come on.”

She wanted to protest that she didn’t need his help, but being overly top-heavy made it easier to take the helping hand. He helped her up and she gasped as an intense pain ripped across her back making her stomach contract. She moaned and grabbed her belly, breathing through the contraction, harder and faster than the ones that had come before.

“Mara?” Luke’s eyes were huge, panicked.

Taking a deep breath, she looked into his eyes, trying to tamp down her own rising fear as she revealed her secret. “I think I am going to have to take this dress off.”

“Why?”

The question was automatic, she knew. She could see from his face that he knew exactly why. “Because our daughter is on her way.”

------------

I found a picture of the dress I had Mara wear here on a wedding website. If you want to see, let me know and I'll send you the link. ;)

7. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012
    finally! *DANCES* hooray baby girl skywalker is on the way.

8. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    Wow! You have to admire someone who can put together a weeding in under 3 hours. That's amazing!

Also, i absolutely loved the way Mara finally said 'yes' and Luke's reaction.

9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Delightful... absolutely a sweet, fine wrap to the story ginchy. ^:)^ I am going to missssss! it! [face_love] [face_love] !!!!

10. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    That was so beautiful! I can just imagine the dumbstruck look on Luke's face when Mara said yes. And if anyone can put together a wedding in 3 hours, it's Leia.

Please send me the link for the dress. I would love to see it.

11. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    It is about time![:D] I liked the melon remark. :p Awesome!!^:)^

12. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    Love that he'd had it planned all along. Love that Mara finally said "yes." Love that BETRYS is on her way!

Really though, I just love it. [:D]

13. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Yay!!!!!!!! And Leia already having a plan to pull off a wedding... [face_laugh] Hee!!!!

14. Blackfish

Blackfish Jedi Youngling

Feb 13, 2012
    Oh I hate it when your stories end!! So when are we getting the one about Ben?[face_batting] And yeah, I giggled at the melon remark too!:p

15. bkwrm752003

bkwrm752003 Jedi Master star 1

Oct 26, 2006
    That was amazing and well worth the wait! I totally believe that Luke has been planning their wedding since the first time she said yes.

Please send me the link for the dress. I really want to see it. Thanks!

16. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    SQUEEE! [face_love] Yay, finally! She said yes!!! [face_dancing] And they tied the knot...in 3 hours? Gotta be a record.

And here comes baby Skywalker!!! :D Talk about timing! What's her name? Do we get to read about that??? Pleeeaaase......[face_batting]

Jade_eyes likes this.
  17. Demendora

Demendora Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 9, 2010
    I am sad that this story ends, but Mara finally gave in)) They now are husband and wife! And the Betrys baby on the way! Wheeeeeee!!!:D[face_love]
    And Mara is a melon...[face_laugh] Soon they will have little chubby one) And I want to see that dress too)

Jade_eyes likes this.
  18. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    Such a lovely last chapter to the story! I loved the idea that Mara knew her baby would be delivered that day and this contributed to her finally agreeing to marry Luke. :) It was so funny that when Mara finally gave the answer Luke had been waiting for, he thought she had just said "No" again... :p Really amazed that Leia managed to pull that wedding off in three hours - the Jedi Temple is indeed the perfect location for Luke and Mara's wedding! (I have to say, I was quite worried about all the walking Mara was doing on the day her baby was going to be born, but I see it all turned out fine. :) )

Like everyone else, I'll miss this story, but at least there's the interlude and epilogue to look forward to! :)

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  19. mayo_durron_666

mayo_durron_666 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 26, 2005
    Finally!!!:p
    [face_laugh] Love Mara's way of surprising and planning..
    Poor Luke got so used to her umm-ing and ahh-ing.. Bless him!
    Really enjoyed this! So cute![face_love]

Jade_eyes likes this.
  20. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    Sweet how Luke had planned the place for their wedding all along, and how it finally felt right. Excited about the little one's arrival, too! Love how Leia took charge of everything. Lovely last chapter!

21. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Ack! I read the last chapter while I was at work and must have gotten pulled away before I got the chance to say [face_love]

This was the perfect ending! I knew Luke would wear her down eventually!
    I loved Leia's frantic not having time for anything and that Mara wanted to be married that day!

Wonderful story, ginchy! I've really enjoyed it!

=D=

22. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    *happy sigh* I love this story, gal. Heeeeeeeeeeere comes Betrys! You're messing up your parents' wedding night!

Jade_eyes likes this.
  23. ginchy

May 25, 2005
    EmeraldJediFire: She is indeed!! Thanks for reading!

Hazel: Leia is a force to be reckoned with! ;) Thank you! I thought that was fun to write. Thanks!!

Jade_eyes: Only one more post after this one! I will miss this universe, too. I’ll have to visit it again someday! Thank you!!

Briannakin: Can’t you imagine that adorable look? Hee. Thanks!!

Jedi_Lover: I felt like a melon at the end of my pregnancy. LOL Thank you!!

Taramidala: You know Luke had been driving Leia as nuts as he’d been driving Mara. LOL!! Thanks, lady!! [:D]

DaenaBenjen42: Leia is definitely the person to get behind huge plans such as this one. LOL Thanks!

Blackfish: Awww, Ben! We see a bit of him in EoA. One day I should write something about this ‘verse L/M with their Ben! Thanks!!

Bkwrm752003: Oh yeah. She went to bed that night of the third proposal and he was on the horn to Leia. LOL! Thank you!

JainaSoloYJK: Oh yeah! Her birth is coming up and then the epilogue! I hope you’ll enjoy. Thank you so much!

Demendora: Yes, a chubby little baby girl. [face_love] I love that they got married the same day she was born. Thank you!!

Valiowk: Thank you!! I liked the idea that she would know it was the day of the birth and that would influence her decision. It was foregone, of course, but the baby’s imminent birth helped in it! I’m thinking maybe the walking helped hasten the birth. Yeah, that’s it! ;) I hope you’ll enjoy the last two updates.

Mayo_durron_666: I know, poor Luke! I’m so mean to him! LOL Thanks for reading!!

Luna_Nightshade: Thank you!! I wanted to pull all of that together. Luke’s been a busy bee (Leia, too!!).

Mavjade: Thank you!! I’m glad you enjoyed. I had a fun time writing it!! [face_love]

JediMara77: Good to see you around, lady!! Thanks so much!!! And yes. They didn’t get that wedding night, did they?? Who woulda thunk it, being a ginchy-fic and all??? [face_laugh]

TAG LIST PART 1: @mavjade Demendora DaenaBenjen42 JainaSoloYJK Blackfish mayo_durron_666 NYCitygurl

24. ginchy

May 25, 2005
    TAG LIST PART 2: immertreu Briannakin Hazel Valiowk lukemaraben bkwrm752003 Luna_Nightshade

*Interlude: Birth*

Those of you who have read 'Echoes of Always' will recognize the middle of this little interlude as EoA's Interlude 1: Birth. While writing 200 I didn't think I was going to include this since so many had already read it. But since 200 can actually stand alone, and I wanted people to know the story of it, I added a 'beginning' and an 'ending' to complete it a bit more. Too, I wanted to see Han and Leia with their niece. Obviously, when I wrote the bulk of this interlude three years ago I had no idea I would be writing 200, so there is no proposal in this 'chapter'. I debated rewriting completely, but I like the way this interlude flowed with the rest of EoA so I'm leaving it alone. I hope you'll enjoy! (And I will post the epilogue by the end of this week!)

Mara had packed a bag weeks ago and left it sitting just inside the closet in their bedroom. Luke had it in his hands and was back in front of her before she could barely blink. “Got the bag! Let’s go!” He started to grab her hand. “Wait, you wanted to change.”

She looked down at her beautiful gown and nodded, holding onto her stomach as another contraction tightened it. She breathed through it, trying to remember the droid’s instructions from the birthing class they had taken a few weeks before. “I will. Just…help me … I’ll do it here. Just go and get me something to wear.”

Again, he was gone only for a second, running back down the hall with a pair of stretchy maternity pants and one of his large tunics. “This okay?”

She took them without a word, merely turning to show him her back in an unspoken request for help in removing the dress.His hands swiftly untied the bow and lowered the zipper until the dress dropped, hanging on her stomach until she pushed it off to pool at her feet. “Sorry that couldn’t be sexier, Skywalker.” She picked up his tunic to shrug over her head.

He laughed, but it was a weak laugh, full of nervous expectation. “You ready?”

She pulled up the pants and stepped back into her shoes. “Ready,” she confirmed, pitching forward toward the door.

Luke lugged the bag and came behind her, stepping out into the hallway. “When we come back, we’ll be three.”

Mara turned to catch a glimpse of her silent apartment, just as the door slid closed. “Ready or not,” she murmured, taking his hand for the walk to the speeder.

"This is not how I expected to spend our wedding night, Skywalker," Mara grunted, settled now into her hospital bed. She rose up on her elbows, gasping for breath as the contraction eased.

Luke wiped a damp cloth across her brow, removing the accumulated sweat. "Hey, don't look at me. If I'd had my way we would have been married months ago."

"Don't start with me." Mara pushed his hand away, but there was a half-smile on her lips. "I just didn't want to get married while I was still pregnant." She picked up a cup of ice chips and spooned a few into her mouth.

"Looks like we should have waited until tomorrow…" Luke grinned innocently at her, dodging a barrage of ice as it flew at him.

"Cute, Skywalker," she began, her new last name drawing out into a little scream as the next contraction ripped through her body. She pushed back against the pillows again, placing a hand on her belly and rubbing. She reached out with the Force to the unborn baby, soothing her as she had done in the past. Mara bit her lip against a smile as Luke lent his own love and support to his wife and unborn daughter. "I think," she began, expelling a gasping breath, "that she couldn't take your constant nagging any longer and decided to come on out so we could get married."

"Nah. She just wanted to celebrate with us." He leaned in and kissed Mara's cheek, his hand resting lightly on the swell of her stomach.

"Yeah." Her voice was thick and she cleared her throat. She grabbed his hand and squeezed.

"Any minute now…" She bit off a moan of pain as the MD Droid came into the room.

"Looks like you're ready to push, Mrs. Skywalker…"

"She's… Stars, Mara, you're amazing! She's almost here!" Luke said, encouraging Mara as she pushed.

"I can feel it, Skywalker," she ground out between her teeth. "Now, shut up and let me…" She trailed off in a screaming moan.

The MD droid uttered a soothing tone. Mara just growled at it, straining forward in her stirrups, hands digging into her own thighs. Luke climbed into the bed and supported her back, allowing her to fall against him as the pain became too much for her. He kissed her temple as she gasped for breath. "You're amazing," he murmured.

The droid counted to ten and Mara reared back up, straining again, Luke's comforting presence behind her spurring her through the pain. She grunted and everything seemed to go silent for a moment as the new life came into the world.

"She's beautiful," Luke whispered, looking at the tiny miracle in a pink blanket wrapped in Mara's arms.

Mara smiled, a true smile that revealed the tiny dimple in her left cheek. "She is."

The baby had Luke's hair, fine and baby blonde, curling in tiny wisps about her ears. She was small and delicate and smelled so sweet. She had scratched her own cheek after delivery when she'd been taken by the droid to be weighed and measured. Luke's eyes watered when he saw the mark, so upset to see an injury on his daughter so soon after her birth.

But time in her mother's arms and at her breast had soothed their daughter and now she looked at them sleepily. Her big eyes were still blue, but somehow Luke knew that they would change to the same clear green as her mother's.

"We still need a name," Mara said, also sleepy, her voice thin and quiet in the darkened hospital room.

"Well, I thought of one," he said. "It means gift…and she is a gift to me, Mara, just like you are."

"So sappy, Skywalker," she cut in, but squashed a happy smile. "What is it?"

"Betrys. Betrys Jade Skywalker," he said, running a soft finger over the baby's delicate cheek.

"Yes," Mara agreed, leaning against him, and closing her eyes. "That's her name."

Luke held his new family in his arms and smiled.

He had never been happier.

“Let’s see her, Kid,” Han said, pushing open the door after a perfunctory knock. “I can’t keep Her Highnesses out of here any longer. Left Chewie home with the kids since they’re too young to visit.”

“Move it, Nerf Herder!” Leia pushed around him and came in, looking at Mara with a bright grin. “Are you okay, Mara? How did it go? And,” she gasped, looking down at Baby Betrys. “There she is!”

“Those powers of observation never cease to amaze me.” Han playfully rolled his eyes at his wife, but Leia wasn’t paying attention as she looked at the baby.

Mara tried to hide a smirk. “Would you like to hold her, Aunt Leia?”

“I’m an aunt! Oh, I never thought I would be!” She held her arms out for Betrys.

Han snorted at Luke’s red face. He threw his arm around him and slapped his shoulder. “I had faith in you, Kid.” He grinned at Mara. “Especially after this one entered the picture.”

“Oh, sure,” Mara said, somewhat distracted as she eyed Leia with the baby. “I had him in my blaster sights and you knew it was true love.”

“So she admits it finally.” Han grinned. “Took ya long enough, Mrs. Skywalker.” Off Mara’s eye roll, he smirked. “And maybe not that far back. But around the time your Headhunter exploded into the Judicator--”

“Around that time what?” Mara looked away from Leia and the baby, truly interested. Leia wasn’t paying any of them any attention, too busy cooing over her niece.

“Ah, just looked like Junior here had lost his best friend when that happened.”

Mara opened her mouth, but closed it, uncharacteristically without a comeback. She turned her head to follow Leia’s steps with the baby instead.

“Stop teasing them, Han,” Leia said, sidling up to him. “And hold your niece.”

Han took the infant into his arms. He began to rock with her, ever so slightly from side to side. “She looks a bit like Anakin did.” He looked at Luke. “What’s her name, Kid?”

Mara answered. “Betrys.”

“Hi, Bets,” he said quietly, smoothing a hand over her head. She stirred, mouth opening and closing with tiny smacks. “You’re not so bad, Kidlet. Just don’t let these two screw you up too much.”

“Thanks for the vote of confidence, Old Buddy.” Luke grinned, leaning over Han’s arm to brush his fingers over Betrys’s cheek. “She’s perfect as is.”

“Wait til she’s screaming for you at 0300, Kid.” But Han smirked again, handing the precious bundle over to her anxious mother. “Looked like you were missing something.”

Mara rolled her eyes, but took the baby and kissed her forehead. “Cute.”

“Yeah,” Han said. “You’re right. She is pretty cute.”

Leia laughed and wrapped her arm around Luke. “I’m so happy for you. Betrys is beautiful.”

“And legal,” Han said. “Don’t forget that. I was at the wedding and can vouch for the lil’ tyke.”

Luke groaned. “We’re never going to live this down, Mara.”

“That’s the way of it in families.” Leia smiled at Mara and her niece. “Better get used to it.”

Holding her new daughter, Mara couldn’t stop a smile from spreading across her face. Family. She was beginning to think that she could get used to it.

JainaSoloYJK likes this.
  25. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    [face_love] SQUEEEEEE! Oh, the utter mush and cuteness of it all! [:D] It's just too much! Totally cracked up at Han and Leia's respective reactions...it's so them. And of course Daddy Luke is difficult- no, impossible -to resist. =D= Excellent story, ginchy! Love, love, love it!

ginchy likes this.