main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph 30 Rock

Discussion in 'Community' started by Zaz, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    9:30-10PM
    NBC, TV-14

30 Rock

"Liz needs to find a date to Floyd's wedding, so she visits a bunch of old boyfriends to see if she can rekindle some romance. On the minus side: Liz is headed for a severe loss of dignity. On the plus side: Jon Hamm guest-stars!"

2. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    9:30-10PM
    NBC, TV-14

Season finale
    30 Rock

"Matt Damon guest-stars as Liz Lemon's dream man. Astronaut Mike Dexter? And will he love her now that she's yelled at the moon?"

3. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I started watching this show last night from the beginning of season one and I love it so far! It's hysterical and I think really clever in its writing. It's a formulaic sitcom in many ways but does it in a fresh and fun way. I cannot wait to watch more.

4. jangoisadrunk

jangoisadrunk Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    I've never seen season one, but I've read it is more conventional that the rest of the series. I started watching midway through season 2, however, and "conventional" is the last word I would ever use to describe 30 Rock.

I can't remember exactly what the first episode I saw was, but I remember thinking it was the strangest and most absurdly hilarious network sitcom I'd ever seen (since revised to "since the last 2 or 3 seasons of Seinfeld"). Although, at this point, Community, and Parks and Recreation can and will exceed 30 Rock in terms of pure absurdity.

Basically: I love 30 Rock.

5. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah Community gives it a run for its money in the absurdity department. I love all the NBC comedies.

This week's finale was pretty good, but makes me scratch my head and wonder if it means Matt Damon will be a recurring character next seasons?

-sj loves kevin spacey

6. jangoisadrunk

jangoisadrunk Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    As cool as that would be, I'm afraid, given Liz's history with boyfriends, he'll have some major dysfunction.

7. Terr_Mys

Terr_Mys Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    I have to say I'm glad that Jack didn't end up with Nancy, only because of her absolutely atrocious Boston accent. Why is it so badly massacred by so many actors?

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Finale was great- loved the instant-hop over the table and the Kenneth teleport.

9. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    The half-Cher-half-Jenna was uniquely horrifying. Kenneth's drunken "I'll see you all in Heaven!" speech was the single best Kenneth moment all season and one of my favorites in the series.

I prefer Avery over Nancy. She got him the cufflinks from Ronald Reagan's pyramid! [face_flag]

With this and Scrubs, Elizabeth Banks is dangerously close to becoming the go-to guest actress to get impregnated by a main character. :p

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    So, they're doing a live show this week- that should be interesting. Obviously Tina, Alec and Tracey have a lot of experience with live comedy shows, but it'll be interesting to see if the show's general manicness can translate to the format.

11. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Part of me wants to see some sort of an epic fail. :p I don't know if I've ever watch a live episode of a tv show, just things like SportsCenter and the news.

12. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001

30 Rock

Episode: Live Show (LIVE)

"Liz gets angry when no one seems to remember her 40th birthday on show night; Tracy decides to break character all night; Jack struggles with the consequences of his promises to not drink during Avery's pregnancy."

* LIVE

8:30 - 9:00 PM NBC

13. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I thought that it was really funny - I laughed more during the 30 Rock episode than I did during the rest of the Comedy Night Done Right shows. There were some great cameos/guest appearances.

14. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    30 Rock

Episode: TGS Hates Women (NEW)

"Liz hires a new female comic to combat claims of misogyny at TGS; Jack tries to take out his competition -- who happens to be the executive's granddaughter -- for becoming successor to Kabletown."

* NEW

10:00 - 10:30 PM NBC

15. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    30 Rock

Episode: Plan B (NEW)

"Liz tries to convince everyone that the show's hiatus is temporary; Jack turns to his nemesis, Devin Banks (Will Arnett), for help."

* NEW

10:00 - 10:30 PM NBC

16. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Decent episode. Aaron Sorkin's cameo was great. And Will Arnett was great in general.

17. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    8-8:30PM
    NBC, SEASON PREMIERE

30 Rock

"At last! Yes, I've finally found my checkbook, so you can all stop looking. In other news, Tina Fey's sitcom returns from its long hiatus with an episode that finds Jenna ensconced as the judge everyone loves to hate on America's Kidz Got Singing and Kenneth taking the day off to do chores while he awaits the Rapture. Hey, good excuse!"

18. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    So Kelsey Grammer is the next Bond, now? [face_laugh]

19. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
  20. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Anybody in the mood for a reunion?

The2ndQuest likes this.
  21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Been watching this show for about over 2 years now, 1 episode a week! Always new episodes for me! Literally just finished season 6 finale about a half hour ago where Avery and Jack finally divorced and Kim Jong il is not dead. No spoilers for season 7! (Although I think s6 lost a bit of a step compared to previous seasons).

But consider the post above should I finish s7 in a month? Only 13 episodes dangit

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
    The2ndQuest and Princess_Tina like this.
  22. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    You can do it!!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    That special was hard going. I knew it was a way to frame the 2nd half year's NBC shows, but it was a lot of work to watch for not much payoff. Mind you I only made it 1/2 way through so far.

24. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I liked it. I didn’t know going in it was a vehicle for all these other shows, some I even thought were spoofs (the Dwayne Johnson one is legit?)

given the restraints, though, not bad. Highlights were Jennas decorating tastes and Tracy in all things.

25. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    You were lucky you didn't watch the whole thing @jp-30 - it only got worse and worse. I was a huge fan of the series and this was a big letdown, almost like the SW Holiday Special was to most SW fans. It wasn't particularly funny, and it was kind of sad to see so many major stars degrading themselves just to try to help Comcast make more money.